Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Originally Posted by webazoid
I'd like some to post a photo of all the vanillas they've redeemed. Would be entertaining.
Let's not give Chase any additional incentive to pull the plug.
+1

It won't do anyone any good to flaunt abuse on a public forum.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:16 pm
jk2

I visited 2 Walgreens today. Both of them have 50+ Vanillas, but register says "cash only for this item". I asked cashier to call manager to override. While I waited manager, cashier told me that they had a "special training" how to deal with this (reload packs) and it is for sure that credit cards not allowed (only debit or cash). Manager came, and confirmed that now Walgreens have a policy for such cards not accept CC as payment. I said that sometimes manager can override this, and she replied that since recently if manager does it (override), penalty will be severe (i.e. she will be fired). I don't know if she made it up or not. The only place here where I can buy icecream is OD.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
FWIW just saw an ad for Bluebird on ESPN2 during college football.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:20 pm
jk2

Is it correct, that in order to reload BB in Walmart, I have to go cashier? I assume "yes", but hoped for automatic reloading (like ATM terminal). I saw a BB stand in Walmart with fake terminal. In our Walmart there are always huge lines for checkout and only few lines are open, so waiting time might be very long.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jk2
Is it correct, that in order to reload BB in Walmart, I have to go cashier? I assume "yes", but hoped for automatic reloading (like ATM terminal). I saw a BB stand in Walmart with fake terminal. In our Walmart there are always huge lines for checkout and only few lines are open, so waiting time might be very long.
Not sure about the ATM, but I went to the service desk, not a cashier.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by jk2
So far yes. Go to Electronics, lines are sometimes shorter there.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Yeah, I doub't they'd do much to your other accounts. I do have a lot of UR points from spending, signup bonuses, etc, so being a bit worried about them getting cancelled, I transferred them to my parent's account. Hopefully they won't shut down my CSP card for this and ink bold for too many OD purchase. That would be a big doh!
What you did might be a big doh! also.

It seems that you know and tried it anyway, but just to be clear, the terms of UR points transfer prohibit transfer to anyone other than a spouse or significant other.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:34 pm
Suspended

VISA gift cards can't be loaded to BB right?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:38 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by leftpinky
Yeah, I doub't they'd do much to your other accounts. I do have a lot of UR points from spending, signup bonuses, etc, so being a bit worried about them getting cancelled, I transferred them to my parent's account. Hopefully they won't shut down my CSP card for this and ink bold for too many OD purchase. That would be a big doh!
I feel like I've read that people accounts who had the points transferred to them were also closed. I could be wrong though... let's just hope that it doesn't ever happen. I'm just excited at the opportunity to pay my mortgage, utilities and other bills with Blue Bird.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:42 pm

very jealous of all you successful bean harvesters! here in the beautiful garden state beans are nowhere to be found. i went hunting today for the first time while running errands - none at 2 OD or 2 7/11's. 1 walgreens had them but would only take cash. alas i don't think i'l be able to join the fun
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
What you did might be a big doh! also.

It seems that you know and tried it anyway, but just to be clear, the terms of UR points transfer prohibit transfer to anyone other than a spouse or significant other.
I manage my parents accounts, so same address and last name, don't want to lose those points :P
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
You're safe then. Same addys and last name won't raise flags. They're looking for different addys, and different last names.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:17 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Today I needed to buy 3 X $200 Visa gift cards for gifts. I went to CVS Pharmacy and selected 3 “generic” Visa gift cards that can be loaded $20 to $500. They were the ones that look like a gift box and can not be reloaded. The cashier asked if I would be paying cash or using a credit card. I, of course, said credit card. She said that she did not know if this was now possible as there were new restrictions on which gift cards and in what amounts could be bought with credit cards. She spoke to a another cashier who said he did not think the charge would go through. In the end the charge did go through. My point is with gift cards bought at retail locations things are changing. It seems to me unrealistic to think the OD Vanilla program will last very long.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:31 pm

I was thinking of getting the Alaska Airlines debit card since you can load with no fees at WM but saw this in the T&C:

you will earn Mileage Plan miles for POS purchases as follows: We take the total amount of POS purchases for a calendar month and subtract any (a) credits related to POS purchases, (b) other adjustments to your deposit account related to POS purchases, (c) cash back from a POS transaction, (d) quasi-cash transactions, which are transactions convertible to cash and include the purchase of money orders, travelers checks, foreign currency, cashier's checks, gaming chips, and other similar instruments and things of value, (e) account funding transactions, including transfers to open or fund deposit, escrow, or brokerage accounts and purchases of stored-value cards, and (f) Alaska Airlines Travel Purchases defined below to get the "Net Debit Card Use."
This appears to preclude earning miles by loading money this way - does anyone have any experience to the contrary? My thought was that since I don't have an Ink card and reloads are so hard to come by anyway, I could get an extra half point on basically everything I buy if I transfer the money from my BOA checking account (via BB load at WM) to the BB account before making my payments. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
VISA gift cards can't be loaded to BB right?
Just looking for an answer to this question also. Can gift cards be used to load a bb? Anyone know the amounts? What about the AMEX prepaid gift cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.