Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Self checkout works for these??? If so that'd be great. And to DCBob, I hear you re finding them. I'm in Arlington and when they restock they are gone so quickly.
Self checkout definitely works as other stated earlier in this thread and does require employee assistance. Regarding getting the cards, ask the store which day(s) of the week the cards arrive and just be there by noon or ask the store if they can put a few behind the front counter for you! I am just amazed at how polite and helpful CVS employees are in the DC area (compared to the "don't bug me" norm).

Last edited by DCBob; Mar 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I have used FIA successfully

On another note, things are not looking good in bay area.. too many of my regular stores have gone cash only.
Your area was also the last one to actually stock VRs - the regional manager did not want to carry them. Is there something in the water in the Bay Area?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As my local stores are making it more difficult to buy VRs (everything from refusing to sell them, to requiring phone call authorization, to imposing $300 limits -- the rules can change a couple times a day!) I have been mostly buying the cards "on the road." It amazes me how the procedures vary from store to store. That said, it's good to have a store that works. I would say from my random experience, I only walk out with a VR from a "new store" 1 in 3 times.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
As my local stores are making it more difficult to buy VRs (everything from refusing to sell them, to requiring phone call authorization, to imposing $300 limits -- the rules can change a couple times a day!) I have been mostly buying the cards "on the road." It amazes me how the procedures vary from store to store. That said, it's good to have a store that works. I would say from my random experience, I only walk out with a VR from a "new store" 1 in 3 times.
Just where is this store with a $300 limit? That's a new one. In DC, the limit is $1K per day in VR loads and it seems to be across the board. It was imposed (according to a CVS employee) because of the absolute greed of just ONE bad apple who was buying them up by the dozen. Of course, I never buy more than I can load in 1 day - and that's $1K. I also don't buy more than the $5K load limit in any month.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCBob
Just where is this store with a $300 limit? That's a new one. In DC, the limit is $1K per day in VR loads and it seems to be across the board. It was imposed (according to a CVS employee) because of the absolute greed of just ONE bad apple who was buying them up by the dozen. Of course, I never buy more than I can load in 1 day - and that's $1K. I also don't buy more than the $5K load limit in any month.
$1000 is definitely "the norm," and sometimes that's the "official" rule but not enforced.

But every store -- and perhaps every assistant manager on duty -- can impose his or her own rule. It's definitely easier to go to a store "that works," but for the folks who don't have a nearby store, it can definitely be an adventure walking into a random CVS and trying to buy a VR.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:59 pm

My local stores are also making it more difficult to buy VR. For me, there are currently no stores that I can consistently use Visa gift cards to buy VR. And only a few stores allow me to buy VR with credit card without any hassle. I'm thinking of moving on from VR/BB at this point.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My local stores are also making it more difficult to buy VR. For me, there are currently no stores that I can consistently use Visa gift cards to buy VR. And only a few stores allow me to buy VR with credit card without any hassle. I'm thinking of moving on from VR/BB at this point.
The aggravation was painful. I am almost glad OD killed the 5x.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:21 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
one dude said i could only load up using a debit card... i tried running my credit card anyways but when it was time to sign he realized... lmao. then he made up some other rule about how there is a $200 limit for loading with debit cards tooo.

several CeeVeeS where I used to buy now only take debit cards.

Last edited by caGALINDO; Mar 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azcoyote
I do 5k VR each month spread amongst a few cards, a little AP, and then my other spend. The VR is typically going on newer cards I'm meeting the minimum spending on.
Really, you buying them at walgreens or CVS? Where in Northern AZ?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stoughton
This. 4 mortgages in the past 2 years and not a single quesition about my banking activity.
The only thing the banks want to see if you have a bank account and if you had large checks where they came from. I just RIFI and I had a 15K deposit and the underwriter wanted to know where it came from.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DCBob
Where in DC are these CVS? I'll be in DC the end of April and I would love to be able to buy some VRs...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:45 am

I have scoured this forum and other related ones for the last 2 hours and cannot come up with a definitive answer... does anyone know whether US Bank treats Amex Gift card purchases (direct from Amex) as cash advance or straight purchases?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...er-checks.html

Last edited by mia; Mar 30, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.