Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I think we should all remember that even without beans (the main benefit to me being able to pay mortgage and property taxes and get UR points), the AMEX prepaid cards are still in strong supply. Not as good, but still almost 5x off everything.
There are other things available at office supply stores as well. I have a lot more easy stores in my area, I'll need to poke around for anything useful (won't be as useful as this but I'm guessing also less likely to call attention).
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
I have been told by Chase customer service that gasoline purchases in close relation to large purchases will cause a fraud alert. The rationale is that the stolen card is used a pump (away from a human) to see if it is still active. The other trigger is electronics purchases since criminals usually like to buy electronics to resell.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Its just a matter of time before Chase starts going on a shut down spree. And maybe even remove the 5x bonus from their Ink cards. :/
I imagine so. Or even keep the office supply 5x but put some very low monthly/annual limit on how much office supply spending qualifies.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
With leftpinky's report, looks like we have something to go by now. However, leftpinky is an old IB user with a prior history. He suddenly increased his OD spend, and that triggered a red flag. A lot of other folks are new IB cardholders with no prior history. I don't think Chase can go through all the new accounts with heavy OD spending. Still, this is definitely a reminder that everybody should be careful with the beans.

What's you guys' thoughts on OD spending or newer members that will trigger red flags?
I have several accounts with Chase. I'm getting the plus card soon. I have rarely used any of my exisitng accounts at office supply stores. But this time I will need a few thousand within a few weeks before leaving the country. I've made this clear prior to recieving the card and will do it once I get the card in hand. Having some history with Chase, I've noticed a disconnect in their risk team of not noticing similar first time quasi-cash charges on multiple accounts. On each account, I recieved a call and had to call back to confirm the charge. Maybe they already checked the history on the other accounts, maybe not, or maybe they assumed I lost my wallet with all my cards each having these charges. Being a new account I'm more inclined to put 3 or 4k tops on my ink within the next 2 weeks.

In the past I've had dozens of charges for amex gc's show up on each my chase, citi, and amex for exact amounts in a 2 weeks span from grocery stores with not a single call and no previous history of such activity. However, office supply might be different and higher risk in both terms of fraud or abuse. Having worked in fraud for a cc years ago I have an idea what their systems flag and won't be using it at those obvious place *although office supply is likely high risk in itself*.

Last edited by scwam; Oct 27, 2012 at 9:55 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:47 am

Thanks for the info on the account numbers...I'm going to try to wait patiently...but I really want to pay my mortgage this month on it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smitty06
I have been told by Chase customer service that gasoline purchases in close relation to large purchases will cause a fraud alert. The rationale is that the stolen card is used a pump (away from a human) to see if it is still active. The other trigger is electronics purchases since criminals usually like to buy electronics to resell.
That's absolutely true. When I used to sell electronics at retail, probably 20% of the people buying $500+ flat panel TVs would get declined and have to call. I had one couple call up, but refuse to give their social to the credit card company over the phone. Of course, the credit card rep is probably looking right at it!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
That's absolutely true. When I used to sell electronics at retail, probably 20% of the people buying $500+ flat panel TVs would get declined and have to call. I had one couple call up, but refuse to give their social to the credit card company over the phone. Of course, the credit card rep is probably looking right at it!
I hear you . I also decline to give my SOC on the phone. The least number of times it is repeated, safer you are. I always tell the CC reps that give me another way to satisfy your processes other than giving you my SOC..true they might be looking at it, but I still don't want to !
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by DrSifu
Arghhhh!!!!!! Why is it so difficult for people to understand.
I'll tell you why: because some people in this thread have links to this https://www.vanillareload.com/home.html which mentions nothing about the V*sa branding nor OD nor anything in between.

Anyone have a problem using the Avios card (Chase)? I need to add 5k more in the next 6 weeks to hit my 30K spend.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: A few
I am declaring this deal already dead. To me it is only interesting to load up using Vanilla cards from Office Depot. I can get all the grocery and drugstore spend I want using the less saturated reloadit cards. The death of this deal is the supply of Vanilla cards at OD. I got wind from a friend that one OD in RDU had some and they bought two on Wednesday. I went to the same store this morning and the pleasant lady at customer service told me someone came in and bought all the rest and they have no immediate plans to restock. All the other branches are out. It's only a matter of short-time before this is replicated everywhere. No matter how deep in the country you think you are - Chatannooga, Kansas, Boisie, your OD is going to run out and the game is over. In fact there is a good chance IMHO OD just make corporate policy to stop stocking them. Sure you can chase gas stations and the like but as I say plenty of other less trodden paths to the same spend there.

This one died before it even started.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I am declaring this deal already dead. To me it is only interesting to load up using Vanilla cards from Office Depot. I can get all the grocery and drugstore spend I want using the less saturated reloadit cards. The death of this deal is the supply of Vanilla cards at OD. I got wind from a friend that one OD in RDU had some and they bought two on Wednesday. I went to the same store this morning and the pleasant lady at customer service told me someone came in and bought all the rest and they have no immediate plans to restock. All the other branches are out. It's only a matter of short-time before this is replicated everywhere. No matter how deep in the country you think you are - Chatannooga, Kansas, Boisie, your OD is going to run out and the game is over. In fact there is a good chance IMHO OD just make corporate policy to stop stocking them. Sure you can chase gas stations and the like but as I say plenty of other less trodden paths to the same spend there.

The cards will be restocked eventually. Plus I can't see Amex tying themselves to only the vanilla reload cards.

Also, 1% is better than nothing, and not everyone wants this for the 4% more from ink cards.

The simpliest thing for Chase to do is just drop the reload cards/gift cards from their bonuses.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brokestudent
Thanks for the info on the account numbers...I'm going to try to wait patiently...but I really want to pay my mortgage this month on it.
If you have the temp card, you can go into your online account and get it all set up. Even send a test payment to verify that it works as it should.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by lbotez
The cards will be restocked eventually. Plus I can't see Amex tying themselves to only the vanilla reload cards.

Also, 1% is better than nothing, and not everyone wants this for the 4% more from ink cards.

The simpliest thing for Chase to do is just drop the reload cards/gift cards from their bonuses.
I am not convinced they will be restocked, and if they are, there will be another feeding frenzy.

As I said already, there are plenty of other ways to max out 1% cards. Just go hunting around your local grocery, CVS, Walgreen, gas stations and it should all be pretty obvious to the trained eye.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So stop going to OD and go down the other less trodden paths you mention. I've seen posts ever since FM posted the Ink, saying that "it's over, it's over" for months now. I'm still going to get Ink, the 5x on telecom isn't going anywhere. The endless amount of proclamations of "it's dead" ring hollow after a while when it proves that it isn't. This is a low margin game, that's just the facts of it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by lbotez

Is it really 1%? You end up paying a $3.95 fee.

It's just an opportunity to buy points at about a .8/cents per point price.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:25 am
Suspended

I went to the same store this morning and the pleasant lady at customer service told me someone came in and bought all the rest and they have no immediate plans to restock.
After a lengthy discussion with the Mgr of one local store, I can tell you they (the store itself) doesn't "plan" to restock the cards, period. It's all done on the other end and the resupply shows up out of the blue. He told me that the individual store has no control over what comes or when it does in regards to the gift card kiosk.

Both stores in town are currently out of stock, neither Mgr knows when resupply will occur and both offered to call me once they do show up. Both also knew why I wanted them (they brought it up, not me) and both mentioned I'm not the only person looking for said cards.

So who knows, maybe I'll get a call from the bean farm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.