Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
hi i been using BB for last 3 months with no problems in all kind of payments from car,cc,and taxes couple days i scheduled a payment to ink bussines and yesterday i check on my transactions and there was 2 payments and 2 refunds from same amount back to my account no explanations why
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by chavjs
hi i been using BB for last 3 months with no problems in all kind of payments from car,cc,and taxes couple days i scheduled a payment to ink bussines and yesterday i check on my transactions and there was 2 payments and 2 refunds from same amount back to my account no explanations why
Which accounts had refunds?

I sent test payments to my Freedom and Ink card a few days ago. The Freedom payment cleared but no update on the Ink card yet.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by Duffman
I've signed up for BB.. haven't received my card yet but should get it sometime next week. I am fine w/the whole bill paying feature but the fact that it can't be automated just leaves more work for me..

Since BB can be used to write checks how abouts I just write a check to my wife this month, my dad next month and repeat through a cycle of four relatives annually? This way all my auto-payments stay the way they are and less hassle. Now if BB were more reliable and offered better features I sure wouldn't mind setting up my mortgage payments through them but I don't think they are quite there yet. Thoughts?

Cheers,
If you/Family members arent going to apply for a mortgage/refi in the next year or so, i wouldnt think this should be a problem. But i would love to hear what other people here think.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by arsenalman
If you/Family members arent going to apply for a mortgage/refi in the next year or so, i wouldnt think this should be a problem. But i would love to hear what other people here think.
What? Why? There's no credit check or credit account reported by bluebird, so any upcoming credit needs wouldn't be affected by a getting a bluebird account.

All this sending checks to various family members seems really convoluted when you can use withdraw to a checking account.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rajin
What? Why? There's no credit check or credit account reported by bluebird, so any upcoming credit needs wouldn't be affected by a getting a bluebird account.

All this sending checks to various family members seems really convoluted when you can use withdraw to a checking account.
When you apply for a loan, they check your bank statements as well. So if i sent you 3 checks in 3 months, there is a good chance the underwriter will ask you the reason why you are getting these checks. They need to verify your income source and seeing cash/checks being deposited randomly usually means they might question it.
If its only once or twice, its not a big deal. If you do it regularly, i would think they might question it.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
How many of you are transferring a portion or all of the VR cash back to your main checking account? I dont know if its a good idea to transfer money to the checking account... any thoughts/idea?
I transfer out several hundred dollars a month. That way I can get free as in FREE ATM withdrawals, as finding a truly free ATM for Bluebird is very difficult, even if use DD to avoid the backend fee. My bank (USAA) lets me withdraw anywhere and rebates the ATM fee.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by punjabi2
I am not transferring any money to my checking account. I just use BB to pay my CC bills that I used to by VR
+1. I do the same thing. Playing games with BB instead of using it to pay your bills will bite you in the end.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:01 pm

When you apply for a loan, they check your bank statements as well. So if i sent you 3 checks in 3 months, there is a good chance the underwriter will ask you the reason why you are getting these checks. They need to verify your income source and seeing cash/checks being deposited randomly usually means they might question it.
If its only once or twice, its not a big deal. If you do it regularly, i would think they might question it.
In my experience (3 mortgages so far), they ask for a current bank statement for one account to verify funds and paystubs to verify income. I've never had to give months of back statements or from all my savings/checking/mm accounts.

If you were worried about it though, you could always just deposit into another account (savings, checking, money market, apply to a credit card, another bank). No traffic through your checking account
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
+1. I do the same thing. Playing games with BB instead of using it to pay your bills will bite you in the end.
Makes sense.Thanks guys.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:09 pm
Suspended

In my experience (3 mortgages so far), they ask for a current bank statement for one account to verify funds and paystubs to verify income. I've never had to give months of back statements or from all my savings/checking/mm accounts.
This. 4 mortgages in the past 2 years and not a single quesition about my banking activity.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:10 pm

If you were worried about it though, you could always just deposit into another account (savings, checking, money market, apply to a credit card, another bank). No traffic through your checking account
I agree. There are ways to hide this activity. All i was saying was that if you use your Father or Sister etc, you probably wont ask them to make new checking accounts. And if they were going to apply for a mortgage, it could cause them a bit of harm.
Personally, i dont like using my father, sister etc for such activities. There are enough ways to manufacture spending. Why ask them to do get in any hassle?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:54 pm

I went to dollar general and cashier swipes my amex GC and said won't take amex. Any input? I thought I read people able to buy them
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
This. 4 mortgages in the past 2 years and not a single question about my banking activity.
Geez 4 mortgages in 2 years....you're a busy dude.

Anyway, this topic somewhat scared me because if refi's/mortgages check bank statements does that mean we shouldn't be doing AP into/out of checking accounts that will be looked at?

I honestly haven't read the entire AP thread (so if this info is there, just tell me and I'll look), but I only use AP very basically (1k out to mom & 1k in from my SO). Both will be refinancing towards the end of this year and I really don't want to have them get screwed because of ~1k per month going into/leaving their checking accounts.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MilesGator

Anyway, this topic somewhat scared me because if refi's/mortgages check bank statements does that mean we shouldn't be doing AP into/out of checking accounts that will be looked at?

I honestly haven't read the entire AP thread (so if this info is there, just tell me and I'll look), but I only use AP very basically (1k out to mom & 1k in from my SO). Both will be refinancing towards the end of this year and I really don't want to have them get screwed because of ~1k per month going into/leaving their checking accounts.
Rates kept dropping, we kept refinancing!

I ran significant #'s of $1 coins out of my checking account. WELL over my annual salary, and as said, not a single quesition was raised.

Granted, different lenders do different things, but my CU didn't seem concerned in the least.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator

Rates have been dropping steadily, so if you have equity, refinancing every 6 months has made a ton of sense. That may be over now though.

If they are refinancing, you should be conscious of the fact that at least one checking accounts will be looked at, so yes, I'd avoid moving AP money through the main account for that month. But that's not just AP, you shouldn't do anything at all really that's not easily explainable, including cash deposits, normal gift money, or anything else odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.