Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
I got a phone call today from Bluebird customer service. Having read through this thread, and all the pessimistic outlooks on account closures and gloom and/or doom, I assumed the worst.

I mentioned before that I had issues manually adding a payee, and had to call in and have them fix it. I paid that bill yesterday. They called today to tell me there was a problem on their end, and they needed me to resubmit the payment. My suspicion is that this might only happen for payees that aren't in their system, like this one of mine.

They deposited the original amount that the payment was for, and gave me a $25 "Good faith credit" for my trouble. She also said that if I incur any late fees, that I should call them back, and they will reimburse me.

While it might not have been smooth, I've been satisfied with their customer service.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
tried to use it to buy gas at the pump but says SEE ATTENDENT?
I purchased gas today at the pump. It was at a Mobil Gas Station. I was told to see the cashier if I wanted the receipt. Besides that, everything went fine.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!
I purchased gas today at the pump. It was at a Mobil Gas Station. I was told to see the cashier if I wanted the receipt. Besides that, everything went fine.
If you look online you might notice that it charged you $75 for the gas. I've had problems with my AMEX prepaid gas pump authorizations not falling off.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mshah
Help! There are no OD near me. Can someone open 1
Cheaper to help you move. !
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:27 pm

Hidden Beans

I made my way to my local OD for another bean run, this time with my SPG, and noticed they were out. A week ago they had like 10-15 left, so I at first thought the Bird had scooped them up. But having read threads in the past, I took my time looking at all the gift cards...and what do you know, but beans were hidden behind another stack of gift cards. Two treasure beans were scooped up by SPG today. Ink will be writing my John Hancock in about 2 weeks. Enough time for it to dry so my Ink will always be available.

Last edited by BQatWSU; Oct 26, 2012 at 7:45 pm
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by BQatWSU
I made my way to my local OD for another bean run, this time with my SPG, and noticed they were out. A week ago they had like 10-15 left, so I at first thought the Bird had scooped them up. But having read threads in the past, I took my time looking at all the gift cards...and what do you know, but beans were hidden behind another stack of gift cards. Two treasure beans were scooped up by SPG today. Ink will be writing my John Hancock in about 2 weeks. Enough time for it to dry so my Ink will always be available.
OK did you find my stash? I thought it would be OK to hide them there but I swear!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:07 pm

I think we should start a betting pool on how this will all come to an end. Winner gets everyone's outstanding beans.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by maanfi24
I got a phone call today from Bluebird customer service. Having read through this thread, and all the pessimistic outlooks on account closures and gloom and/or doom, I assumed the worst.

I mentioned before that I had issues manually adding a payee, and had to call in and have them fix it. I paid that bill yesterday. They called today to tell me there was a problem on their end, and they needed me to resubmit the payment. My suspicion is that this might only happen for payees that aren't in their system, like this one of mine.

They deposited the original amount that the payment was for, and gave me a $25 "Good faith credit" for my trouble. She also said that if I incur any late fees, that I should call them back, and they will reimburse me.

While it might not have been smooth, I've been satisfied with their customer service.
I got the exact same phone call and $25 credit.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
A denial for lack of funds is different than a denial based on account type or setup. I really don't think that's the same issue at all.
Yeah, but the mere fact is there's a system for denials in place, it's not automatic approval.

A bank could likely deny for any reason they see fit, including account restrictions.

For example, at work all our ACHs and checks are "positive pay". Meaning if we didn't authorize the exact amount, and for checks, payee and check #, in a pre-transmitted file, we have so many hours to approve it before they will reject it. Most business checking accounts are this way too to prevent you from ACH (Stealing) out of a high volume accounts payable account hoping nobody will notice.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by BQatWSU
....but beans were hidden behind another stack of gift cards....
can't say i'm surprised
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:15 pm

Clarification needed on the beans flavor, as the first few pages of this post referred to the rich Visa flavor at OD, while later pages referred to this rather nasty-looking flavor www.vanillareload.com/home.html available at 7/11. Which is the tastier choice?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by elizadoo
Clarification needed on the beans flavor, as the first few pages of this post referred to the rich Visa flavor at OD, while later pages referred to this rather nasty-looking flavor www.vanillareload.com/home.html available at 7/11. Which is the tastier choice?
As I'm unclear what exactly you're speaking about.

What you want is the Vanilla Reload Cards which can be bought at Office Depot.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:29 pm

Arghhhh!!!!!! Why is it so difficult for people to understand.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by elizadoo
The best combination is to get the card you describe as "nasty" from an OD using 1Nk. The next best would be to get the "nasty" card from anywhere using a points earning CC.

Now, may I please ask a question which hasn't been asked yet in this thread? How long does it take from signing up online to getting your actual BB card in your mailbox?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by nigelloring
The best combination is to get the card you describe as "nasty" from an OD using 1Nk. The next best would be to get the "nasty" card from anywhere using a points earning CC.

Now, may I please ask a question which hasn't been asked yet in this thread? How long does it take from signing up online to getting your actual BB card in your mailbox?
Purchased card at Walmart (don't bother) 10/16, activated temp card online 10/16, received permanent card 10/22.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.