Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by member7777
hided not hidden
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by MilesGator
The Citi Dividend Platinum offers 5% cash back right now at drugstores. In some ways better than Freedom b/c you can max out the entire $300/year limit on 5% rewards in one quarter whereas with Freedom you're limited to $75 in cash back/7500 UR points. Obviously, UR pts may be worth more in transfer partner accounts, but $300 for $47.40 in VR fees is not to bad either
That's awesome to know.. I've been in the dark on this one.. I need to get on that card asap then.

I vaguely recall reading about another citi TYP card that had 5% at drug stores for the whole year. That sounds too good to be true anyway.

Originally Posted by MilesGator
I like you're Club Carlson idea too. Hoping to get that card in a few months. Hopefully VRs are still available then! However (please correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstanding something), buying 50,000 Club Carlson points will only get you 1 night in a top tier hotel b/c you actually have to have 100k in you're Club Carlson account to get 2 nights even though you will only have 50k deducted.
please beware that Club carslon top hotels are mostly in Europe. Not all of them are worthwhile. So make sure you have a stay in mind before you rack up those points: http://www.clubcarlson.com/category6. As Happy noted you only need 50k points to book a 2 night.

Originally Posted by sgideons
Mintcilantro clarified in his follow up that this is NOT manufactured spend, he uses the BB to simplify his wife's spending. Kinda like that Wallaby service i signed up for and never heard back from, 8 months ago...

In this specific case he's right, since he could give his wife the 2% fido card, he's both giving that up and paying $3.95 per load. Everyone's situation is different, it's not for us to judge.

Thanks for understanding, I put a worst case scenario out there. I'm manufacturing a lot of spend with the BB although I use it for other transactions like costco. Previously I used to buy their GCs online as they allow visa/mc online. Now it's much easier. I don't have any amex cards yet so I don't want them blacklisting me in any way. Hope to get an amex card like spg in 6 months. I wanted to be a bit safe and use BB everywhere to keep my account safe. I haven't seen any account closings yet so maybe I'm too paranoid.

Now I realize that with OD shutting down VRs, there is no one magic card. The card you use depends on your own redemption/min spending goals. Thankfully I can buy the beans on my way to work. It's not much extra work.

That wallaby sounds good in theory.. I haven't heard from them again either.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:56 am
Suspended

Moving to sfo for a shortwhile from an area sans beans, cvs or friendly wallys. Are beans hard to find in sfo like lax? Friendly pm would be appreciated.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by echip
Agreed everyone is different. But if you use it to pay your cc bills, then it's manufactured spendings. Mintcilantro did that b/c I don't think his wife would spend anywhere close to $60k, most likely probably are going to be recycled.
You are obviously unmarried.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:45 am

Have people had any success finding the VRs at Valero gas stations?

I've been to a few in the Atlanta area and have not seen any.

-Sam
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:51 am

You know it sucks when you hit your $5k VR load limit and its only the 14th of the month!!

CVS does have Ice Cream in Huntsville, AL, but it appears to be melting quickly!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I vaguely recall reading about another citi TYP card that had 5% at drug stores for the whole year. That sounds too good to be true anyway.
Oh, it's good alright. One month down, 11 to go.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by deedle
You know it sucks when you hit your $5k VR load limit and its only the 14th of the month!!

CVS does have Ice Cream in Huntsville, AL, but it appears to be melting quickly!
"only the 14th"?? You're late!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by dublin487
Might be referring to the fact that you're theoretically giving up the opportunity to earn 2% on a cash back credit card. I don't think that really comes into play here though, since for most people this is additional spend that they wouldn't be doing otherwise; it would be different if I needed to make a $10,000 purchase at Amazon and was choosing between 2% cash vs. some points-earning card.
Italics mine:

I've thought a lot about that point in the past, particularly as it pertains to valuing miles during the US Airways Grand Slam (i.e., do I have the opportunity cost of points that I earned solely for the promotion). Ultimately, it comes down to question of whether they have no opportunity cost (If a VR exists in CVS and nobody buys it, does it have an opportunity cost?) because you wouldn't have bought them anyway or, in fact, do you have to count the OC because you did end up buying them and thus gave up the opportunity to get your 2% for them, even if you wouldn't have bought them in the first place just for the 2%. Then my head starts to hurt and I go on to do something useful with my day.

Mike
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by deedle
I know the feeling^
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeef
Italics mine:

I've thought a lot about that point in the past, particularly as it pertains to valuing miles during the US Airways Grand Slam (i.e., do I have the opportunity cost of points that I earned solely for the promotion). Ultimately, it comes down to question of whether they have no opportunity cost (If a VR exists in CVS and nobody buys it, does it have an opportunity cost?) because you wouldn't have bought them anyway or, in fact, do you have to count the OC because you did end up buying them and thus gave up the opportunity to get your 2% for them, even if you wouldn't have bought them in the first place just for the 2%. Then my head starts to hurt and I go on to do something useful with my day.

Mike
I think the opertunity cost of a VR is 1.2% since if you bought them for 2% but paid .8% in fees you only net 1.2 %. so if you buy 10 cards per month your opertunity cost of buying said cards would be 5000*.02=100-39.5=60.50
we all should be ahead at least 60.50 per month and compare the value we get from buying vr's wiht ohter cards to that standard gain
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by particlemn
I think the opertunity cost of a VR is 1.2% since if you bought them for 2% but paid .8% in fees you only net 1.2 %. so if you buy 10 cards per month your opertunity cost of buying said cards would be 5000*.02=100-39.5=60.50
we all should be ahead at least 60.50 per month and compare the value we get from buying vr's wiht ohter cards to that standard gain
Your math may be right but the terminology is wrong. "Opportunity cost" is the cost of forgoing an opportunity.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:10 am

Has anyone done this yet? CardCash.com has Visa GCs for $495 for $500 (1% off) and no load fees.

http://www.cardcash.com/buy-discount...ft-card-1-off/
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:33 am

Slightly off topic, but when you guys are shopping at CVS, consider using the checkpoints app to get some extra checkpoints which can be redeemed for American, Delta, and Alaska miles.

I figure might as well try to snag up some other points so I don't completely leave CVS empty handed.

See checkpoints conga and thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...-aa-miles.html
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
Your math may be right but the terminology is wrong. "Opportunity cost" is the cost of forgoing an opportunity.
I think the way to think about it is that if you have a 2% card, choosing to cycle 10k through is a profit of 2% - 0.8% = 1.2% or 120$. That's your baseline profit after starting.

Then, if you choose to move the spending to a card that gives you 1 mile per dollar instead, you're giving up the $200 in cash back in exchange for earning the 10,000 points instead. So, your trade is $200 for 10k points, since if you didn't earn the points, you would have earned the cash back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.