Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:45 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
You know in one way I hope that everyone keeps chatting up the OD Beans and maxing out their purchases... it just means more people who abuse it will get their accounts closed leaving that many more reloads available for those of us that just fly under the radar not attracting attention to ourselves
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by sunshine-state
Is it just me, or is the BB site painfully slow right now? I successfully loaded 2 x 500 about 2 hours ago, and just scheduled a rent payment, but now trying to add another payee for my car loan, the site is really really slow (taking >60 seconds just to log back in). All other interwebs are working fine.
Yup it's acting very slow. Just checked.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:51 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by naps8906
Visabuxx. I think you can still get free accounts from nationwide. I did alot during $50 promo which ended. Remember, power of the middle name

Use them mainly as secondary assistance for spending limits. I unfortunately got 4 massive spend cards relatively same time.
Does this card (VisaBuxx) work as "real" debit card? I had one last month (because of $50 promo) and canceled soon (now regret about it), so I didn't test this feature.

It might be a good alternative to ice cream (when not using IB card), since it is possible to reload Buxx with CC (not AMEX) and fee is only $2 per load (doesn't work with Citi cards, because of cash advance thing). Limit is $500 per load, $1000 is max.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by infamousdx
Yup it's acting very slow. Just checked.
Looks like it was just a temporary issue....things seem to be back to normal now. Probably just needed to restart a server.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stormy16
And when the time comes when AF is posted. The dialogue with retention department will be like this:
CSR:How may I help you?
Customer: Is there a way to waive AF or get statement credit? I only earned 250K UR because there is a limit
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
With all the gibberish code talk (seriously, it's on an outside blog, just write in simple english already!), it's hard to figure out the process for using this card...based on the readable posts here and the blog, my understanding is I can do the following:

1) Step 1 - find an Office Depot store that sells the Vanilla re-loadable card and purchase one for $500 using whichever credit card I want to earn points
2) Step 2 - register for a new Bluebird card
3) Step 3 - link the two together and use the Bluebird card to either buy, withdraw cash or pay bills

Here is where I am getting confused - do I just need 1 Vanilla card which I can continue re-loading online or at the OD store with my points card, or do I need to find and purchase a new Vanilla card every time I want to add money to Bluebird?

If I want to be aggressive, I can repeat the same process multiple times using a different points card to reload the Vanilla card as needed?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Here is where I am getting confused - do I just need 1 Vanilla card which I can continue re-loading online or at the OD store with my points card, or do I need to find and purchase a new Vanilla card every time I want to add money to Bluebird?
They are 1 use, hence the continual discussion on how to find them.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: All main US FF programs basic level
See posts 230 and 232.

Plus be careful about getting the vanilla reloadable and not the vanilla. Many posts seems to confuse the two or assume people know what the difference is.

With all the gibberish code talk (seriously, it's on an outside blog, just write in simple english already!), it's hard to figure out the process for using this card...based on the readable posts here and the blog, my understanding is I can do the following:

1) Step 1 - find an Office Depot store that sells the Vanilla re-loadable card and purchase one for $500 using whichever credit card I want to earn points
2) Step 2 - register for a new Bluebird card
3) Step 3 - link the two together and use the Bluebird card to either buy, withdraw cash or pay bills

If I want to be aggressive, I can repeat the same process multiple times using a different points card to reload the Vanilla card as needed?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zanzibar
See posts 230 and 232.

Plus be careful about getting the vanilla reloadable and not the vanilla. Many posts seems to confuse the two or assume people know what the difference is.
Thank you - it's still confusing though - it sounds like a Vanilla reloadable card is not really reloadable? Or not reloadable by credit card?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Thank you - it's still confusing though - it sounds like a Vanilla reloadable card is not really reloadable? Or not reloadable by credit card?
They are 1 use, hence the continual discussion on how to find them.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:45 pm

You're right, it is a little confusing....it's essentially that your prepaid card (i.e. BB) is reloadable, but the Vanillas are just the one-time funds which you load onto your reloadable BB card.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunshine-state
You're right, it is a little confusing....it's essentially that your prepaid card (i.e. BB is reloadable), but the Vanillas are just the one-time funds which you load onto your reloadable BB card.
Partly due to people calling them 'vanilla reloadable'. They're not reloadable, they're reloads.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's called "Vanilla Reload" and is not "reloadable."
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:50 pm

Kudos to the poster who figured out the zip code thing! That was what was causing my Edfinancial account to not be recognized.

Bought 2 bean cards at OD today. Got a fraud alert call from Chase a bit later. I was sure it was about the $1000 OD purchase...nope, someone was charging up crap at a grocery store and gas station two states over :/

Its been a long time since I shopped at OD regularly...I guess these cards don't qualify for their rewards program do they?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Partly due to people calling them 'vanilla reloadable'. They're not reloadable, they're reloads.
Good call...well maybe we should just get back to calling them beans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.