Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:04 pm

If loading directly from credit card isn't an option (and that seems to be the case from early reports), then this doesn't seem like a game-changer. Having to buy VN continually from OD is not ideal.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
If loading directly from credit card isn't an option (and that seems to be the case from early reports), then this doesn't seem like a game-changer. Having to buy VN continually from OD is not ideal.
There is a report on FM that you can load at Walton's via CC . I am going to try it as soon as I get my card. I will use the ice cream also. 5X is hard to turn down after I get my present spend out of the way that is.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
But the 5x is the key that way. Otherwise, there's just the as-yet-unseen feature of billpay, right?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
But the 5x is the key that way. Otherwise, there's just the as-yet-unseen feature of billpay, right?
Billpay is now well documented. Free. They send checks if biller isn't listed.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:12 am
Suspended

who else is not able to get this?

I have been trying in vain since last night. Canceled serve online yesterday used many different emails and still as of this morning, it says Thank you for
choosing Bluebird.
Sorry, but we cannot approve you for a Bluebird Account at this time because you have an existing Serve Account. If you have any questions, please contact us by calling Customer Service at 1-877-486-5990.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emptiness
who else is not able to get this?

I have been trying in vain since last night. Canceled serve online yesterday used many different emails and still as of this morning, it says Thank you for
choosing Bluebird.
Sorry, but we cannot approve you for a Bluebird Account at this time because you have an existing Serve Account. If you have any questions, please contact us by calling Customer Service at 1-877-486-5990.
What did they say when you called?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stoughton
What did they say when you called?
i didn't call, i was able to cancel my service account online 10 hrs ago. it showed canceled than tried the BB and still says I have to cancel serve.

UPDATE:

I tried with the email I used on serve and I was able to sign up for the BB card now. I have been trying with different emails as per suggestions.

The rep told me info from serve and BB must match, then I realized that I was trying with different emails.

The funding to this card from cards or reloads can be done only after I get the BB card right? Nothing else to do now?

Last edited by emptiness; Oct 17, 2012 at 7:58 am
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:07 am

this sounds like a winner, however I am gonna hold off until someone can confirm an ice cream scoop r/l and bill payment possibilities.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:54 am

Too bad they won't let you sign up for this and keep Serve. I guess I will have to wait until at least 3/15/2013 when the CC fee kicks in and then I'll cancel Serve.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fangtl
this sounds like a winner, however I am gonna hold off until someone can confirm an ice cream scoop r/l and bill payment possibilities.
Both are well documented in their FAQs and terms.

I was able to add my mortgage company as a biller after signing up, so this could change how I do my bill payments across the board if it works like free bill pay from your checking account does. The only restriction I saw was the biller name could only have alphanumeric characters, so no periods or commas. Perhaps I should try a bill that's got a smaller payment first, we'll see how that goes though.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by fangtl
When you read the intent of the card, I would sure think this is a winner, but you are right that we have to see for sure.

With all of this said, I do worry about a repeat of the NS debacle; you could do many of the same things and we know how that went.

However, this is most excited I have ever been. Also, as a reminder, look for beans at gas stations and see if they will let you buy with credit card. If so, good deal with Ink, Amex MR gold business (not sure about personal since I don't have it), and even better, Amex Surpass.......(I love using my Amex Surpass at a certain gas station chain......

Not to mention, you could buy at any retailer that will allow it for Amex Delta Reserve and mile run from your couch.....
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
When you read the intent of the card, I would sure think this is a winner, but you are right that we have to see for sure.

With all of this said, I do worry about a repeat of the NS debacle; you could do many of the same things and we know how that went.

However, this is most excited I have ever been. Also, as a reminder, look for beans at gas stations and see if they will let you buy with credit card. If so, good deal with Ink, Amex MR gold business (not sure about personal since I don't have it), and even better, Amex Surpass.......(I love using my Amex Surpass at a certain gas station chain......

Not to mention, you could buy at any retailer that will allow it for Amex Delta Reserve and mile run from your couch.....
What other chain retailers allow it? Ironically, I have hardly ever seen the things for sale other than the above places.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
has anyone looked and seen if chase is a bill pay option, maybe a few ice cream reloads with a non-pencil card and then use the proceeds to pay off the balance via bill pay?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emptiness
used different emails but still says CLOSE YOUR SERVE FIRST.

I did close my serve account online 2 hrs ago
I closed mine last night. Today I got the BB card. It would not register claiming I had an open Serve. I called customer service and that stated it takes 24hrs to clear their system. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:43 am

I want to interject a cautionary tale regarding these AMEX prepaid cards. I have an AMEX prepaid card. AI know we are talking about bluebird but I think this story is still applicable. I discovered a fradulent transaction on the card. I called AMEX and they want me to fill out a dispute form(which they do not ask for with credit card disputes) but more importantly they are not going to credit me until the dispute is resolved which could take up to 3 months. Thankfully, it only involves a few dollars. So for anyone who plans on pushing through large amounts of money through these products I would advise that A. You keep a close eye on your transactions and B. Do not leave any significant amount of money sitting on the card for any real length of time. AMEX makes it sound like you have all the protection of a credit card but in reality it is not the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.