Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by mshah
What I meant to say is that -ofcourse VR will be able to tell but it won't be done by first line CSR. The fact that they have my card # where I moved VR money does not give them right to look at my card account. It needs to be done as part of an investigation (probably criminal investigation since money has been stolen) and may be law enforcement involvement is required !
I call into the unload the funds from the VR each time and have at times used the CSR instead of the automated system.

Each time the CSR has absolutely no problem pulling up the VR card number and being able to tell how much is on the card or not. This does not take an investigator or law enforcement to figure out.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by shoreline
The OP clearly means he loaded the funds to VR and VR confirmed someone unloaded the funds from the VR card to another location. They can def. tell how much remains on the card, when it was loaded and when it was unloaded off the VR card/system.
The OP clearly stated: VR has confirmed that the funds were removed by someone after purchase and then withdrawn from wherever they were deposited. The money is gone.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:03 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
What I meant to say is that -ofcourse VR will be able to tell but it won't be done by first line CSR. The fact that they have my card # where I moved VR money does not give them right to look at my card account. It needs to be done as part of an investigation (probably criminal investigation since money has been stolen) and may be law enforcement involvement is required !
Possibly correct. I'm getting my info from the front-line CSRs at this point, so accuracy is questionable.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: A few
Fascinating story on the Vanilla cards and a warning for all of us. I had read of similar problems when this whole thing started - i.e. criminals going into stores, taking various load cards and getting the numbers from them, returning them to the store, then using scrips to simply try and load the cards every hour or so until it works (i.e. within an hour of a person buying and activating them)

For Reloadit cards, which I use more than Vanilla, you are required to enter not just the PIN code but also the amount loaded and the zip code where you purchased the card. Not fool-proof but a couple of extra levels of security that make it a little more challenging (any thief inside or out would know the zip code that they are being sold in, and the script could simply try every combination from $0.01 up to $500, so 50k attempts per hour - though in theory this should then be noticed by the IT of the load network. Not much help if an inside job)

I think before we all got involved it was a handful of no-income types losing $50 a time. Now there is a more vocal, educated and wealthy group losing $500 at a time, I'd expect to see some changes come out of it all
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Down the road from the MET 95% sure 85th and Lex does. By around the back I mean there is a display in the front near doors / register, but if you go to the "isles" you'll seed another card island either on the end of the aisle or in the shelving of the isle - if that makes sense. Stacks were thick.
Stacks may have been thick, but aren't any longer. No beans there. Or the other one you suggested. Alas.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
IMO, it's the best way to avoid stinkeye for using gcs and making things go quickly/smoothly, especially with cashiers who are unsure what to do in the first place or are suspicious about using credit to buy cash equivalents.
When I'm at target buying regular stuff they sometimes ask for the last 4 on the CC used. I've memorized all the cards I use frequently and just speak the numbers that they promptly enter. They've never asked to actually see the card though as long as the transaction goes through.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by shoreline
I call into the unload the funds from the VR each time and have at times used the CSR instead of the automated system.

Each time the CSR has absolutely no problem pulling up the VR card number and being able to tell how much is on the card or not. This does not take an investigator or law enforcement to figure out.
Did you read the part where I mentioned - "Card where money were moved from VR"..Indeed they know what's on VR
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:48 am

Did you read the part where I mentioned - "Card where money were moved from VR"..Indeed they know what's on VR

and in plain english this would mean........??

do you mean the $ on VR moved 'to' xx account? or moved to 'yy' account and then VR confirmed it was moved off 'yy' account?

I doubt they have any access to see balances on 'yy' account (but obviously could be investigated).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yellowfish
I am not sure I understand this trick, but one thing you need to watch out for is the 1099. As a payment processing outfit, like Amazon Payments, Bluebird (or AMEX Travel Services Company) should issue 1099-k if your gross payment volume is over 20k AND you did 200 transaction. My understanding of the gross payment volume is the total incoming payments into BB. Assuming all of us load 5k monthly, it would be 60k annually.

The 200 transactions: (again my understanding is the incomming transactions that put money into BB), if done by VR load at 10 transactions per month would end up to be 120 transactions per year which is under the threshold to trigger 1099.

Any loads over 5k a month will either put you over the 200 transaction threshold or would be dangerously close to it.

I am not a tax professional but this is my understanding of the 1099-k issuance. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
Just because you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night does NOT make you a tax expert.

In any event, you are dead wrong. I am a tax expert (with over 32 years of experience working at the IRS) and I can assure you that you have grossly misstated the Form 1099-K issuance requirements.

In a nutshell, a Form 1099-K is used solely to report payments made to merchants for goods and services in settlement of payment card and third-party payment network transactions. The financial institution or third-party network must have a contractual obligation to make payments to you as a participating payee before any kind of reporting obligation is triggered. No such contractual obligation exists with respect to the deposits made to your Bluebird account from any source, including VR cards.

Hopefully, this will allay the concerns of those who read your post.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:52 am

the outcome of this entire story is going to be an interesting storyline to the procession of the VR.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Possibly correct. I'm getting my info from the front-line CSRs at this point, so accuracy is questionable.
have they told you if there are any other similar cases open or if this is the first time they have had such an incident (numbers missing)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:24 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by particlemn
have they told you if there are any other similar cases open or if this is the first time they have had such an incident (numbers missing)
One CSR said that she gets 2-3 calls a week re: "money being loaded to someone else's account". She went on to say that they need to tighten their security. I take all of these comments with a grain of salt...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
She went on to say that they need to tighten their security.
Ain't that the truth! Any sophisticated thief with a random number generator can come up with activated cards that have not been unloaded. Anyone ever notice that all PINs begin with the number "6?" How ridiculous is that - it just makes the thief's job easier still.

They need to add a third security key to unlock the PIN (at a minimum), a key that only the purchaser would know. Also, they need to freeze any account to which a VR is loaded if too many unsuccessful attempts were made (ideally three) within a set period of time. The thief would then have to call VR to get the funds loaded and provide detailed information that can be verified in real time. Finally, they need to fire the consultant (in-house or outside) who designed or approved their security system (assuming they even have a security system).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
Also, they need to freeze an account to which a VR is loaded if too many unsuccessful attempts are made within a set period of time. You would then have to call VR to get the funds loaded.
This should be really easy to implement too.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCBob
Ain't that the truth! Any sophisticated thief with a random number generator can come up with activated cards that have not been unloaded. Anyone ever notice that all PINs begin with the number "6?" How ridiculous is that - it just makes the thief's job easier still.

They need to add a third security key to unlock the PIN (at a minimum), a key that only the purchaser would know. Also, they need to freeze any account to which a VR is loaded if too many unsuccessful attempts were made (ideally three) within a set period of time. The thief would then have to call VR to get the funds loaded and provide detailed information that can be verified in real time. Finally, they need to fire the consultant (in-house or outside) who designed or approved their security system (assuming they even have a security system).
I resent that comment. We do have a difficult to remove grey strip over the numbers lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.