Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by augustus21
Purchases at CVS, including from the pharmacy, show up as "CVS Pharmacy [store #]". How many VRs do you buy per month? That seems to be what set off the block and I'm interested in flying below the radar.
Speculating here, but I'm guessing it wasn't the total amount of spend that set off the fraud trigger, but the constant charges of a similar amount. For example, better to have a $4031.60 charge than four separate charges for $1007.90 each. I've run into this with Citi and BOA in the past.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:13 pm

Anyone here knows if we can buy money order(MO) at Walmart with AmEx prepaid? if yes what are the limits? (I couldn't find amex pp thread)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by StephenW
Speculating here, but I'm guessing it wasn't the total amount of spend that set off the fraud trigger, but the constant charges of a similar amount. For example, better to have a $4031.60 charge than four separate charges for $1007.90 each. I've run into this with Citi and BOA in the past.
Well, VRs are way outside of his typical spend pattern. Going from $350/month to $503.95 x2 in a month might trigger something. Perhaps consistency is the key.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by prasha11
Anyone here knows if we can buy money order(MO) at Walmart with AmEx prepaid? if yes what are the limits? (I couldn't find amex pp thread)
You cannot. Nor at USPS. ATM only, sadly.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:39 pm

Signed up strictly to ask this question. I am a noob in the miles game and I just recently received the United Mileage Plus Explorer card. I am not going after the 5x rewards points because I cannot apply for another credit card currently as I am trying to buy my first house. I have been trying to find a way to pay my student loans while earning miles.

I pay around $500 a month in student loans and I also spend around $300 to $400 a month at costco and I do not have an amex card. This bluebird card sounds perfect for me to earn a bunch of extra miles each month that I am not currently earning.

My question is are you only able to use vanilla reload cards to add funds to BB or am I able to buy visa gift cards as well?

It sounds like it would be worth the extra 800 miles per month on my card for basically $8 in processing fees for a couple GC but it sounds like sometimes the VR can be hard to find with the 5x points craze going on.

Any advice on my situation would be helpful and once again be easy on me since I am new to the game.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Nocals pm for great news
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by particlemn
I went to my local OD, they were out of the 20-500 vanilla gift visa bu they had a bunch on the bottom rack that said "thank you", "congradulations", and "happy birthday"
Happened to me too. I had no problem using them for VR or Target.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by iliketurtles
Signed up strictly to ask this question. I am a noob in the miles game and I just recently received the United Mileage Plus Explorer card. I am not going after the 5x rewards points because I cannot apply for another credit card currently as I am trying to buy my first house. I have been trying to find a way to pay my student loans while earning miles.

I pay around $500 a month in student loans and I also spend around $300 to $400 a month at costco and I do not have an amex card. This bluebird card sounds perfect for me to earn a bunch of extra miles each month that I am not currently earning.

My question is are you only able to use vanilla reload cards to add funds to BB or am I able to buy visa gift cards as well?

It sounds like it would be worth the extra 800 miles per month on my card for basically $8 in processing fees for a couple GC but it sounds like sometimes the VR can be hard to find with the 5x points craze going on.

Any advice on my situation would be helpful and once again be easy on me since I am new to the game.
VRs fund BB, but other Visa gift cards do not. BB can also be funded at Walmart with a debit card, direct deposit, with a debit card online ($2 fee), or cash at some locations. Obviously, buying VRs with a miles-earning credit card is the goal.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21
VRs fund BB, but other Visa gift cards do not. BB can also be funded at Walmart with a debit card, direct deposit, with a debit card online ($2 fee), or cash at some locations. Obviously, buying VRs with a miles-earning credit card is the goal.

Thanks very much. Sounds like I will be signing up for the BB. No hard credit pull right? Now I need to find out where the VR are in my area.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:12 pm

Thanks very much. Sounds like I will be signing up for the BB. No hard credit pull right? Now I need to find out where the VR are in my area.
No hard pull.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:13 pm

No hard pull. There's a list of locations at www.vanillareload.com. Ignore Walmart, they aren't there yet. Your best bet is CVS though. They are no longer at Office Depot. Welcome to FT
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
No hard pull. There's a list of locations at www.vanillareload.com. Ignore Walmart, they aren't there yet. Your best bet is CVS though. They are no longer at Office Depot. Welcome to FT
Thanks! I plan on browsing the community for a long time to come! I have a lot of free travel plans in my future haha. I have already booked my first free flight to europe thanks to the United card.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dhy8386
Just an FYI which may or may not apply to you. I bought some whities here in a north Boston SVC and when i swiped my Chase card the CC register said "Another Form of Payment Required". He had no problem trying three times. Then I tried buying a candy bar. Same message. Even though i prob spend 6-8k month on that card, I decided to call Chase. Sure enough they blocked the card because she said that much spending at a drug store raises a flag. She reset my account, still didnt work, same message. Had to call fraud department and get them to lift ban. They also put a note, which I asked them to do, that large CVS purchases were acceptable.

In case it helpful, which its probably not but...
Helpful. Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SnoopDaddy
looks like several of the CVS' in the NYC area finally have VR or have finally reloaded.

some accept CC, some don't. either way i'm having no trouble filling my monthly quotas.
What part of town? I checked 5 CVS last night and none had any at all.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:55 am

Money Orders Require Pin Based Debit Cards

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
You cannot. Nor at USPS. ATM only, sadly.
The reason most prepaids don't work in buying money orders at USPS or Walmart, is because although they might say debit on them, but you swipe them as a credit card and are selecting credit as the payment method despite the funds being already loaded on the card.

If you find a prepaid with a pin number, then that would work, as it is then truly like a debit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.