Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:40 pm

What is AP?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by Superorb
What is AP?
AP = Amazon Payment

What is AP?
Amazon Payments

amazon payment.

What is AP?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jetsarefast2
Amazon Payments
Gotcha, thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by lad2
Call your CC company to clear up the fraud alert/block.
Done and cleared. Thank you.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:27 pm

I stopped by a new cvs in my area that had 100+ VR's in stock. 1k daily limit. I did not use Sarah buying tactics.

Looks like this is going to be around for a while
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:52 pm

Slightly odd report:

Was just at Wally World in suburban Richmond, VA. Saw a clerk removing all the BB starter packs from the display at the entrance to the store. Asked if I could buy one, and she said her manager told her to round them all up. Wouldn't let me buy one today. She wasn't sure if it was for a new display or what. She said check back tomorrow.

BB advertisements were still up throughout the store, and I loaded some cash at the register just to check. No problems there.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Slightly odd report:

Was just at Wally World in suburban Richmond, VA. Saw a clerk removing all the BB starter packs from the display at the entrance to the store. Asked if I could buy one, and she said her manager told her to round them all up. Wouldn't let me buy one today. She wasn't sure if it was for a new display or what. She said check back tomorrow.

BB advertisements were still up throughout the store, and I loaded some cash at the register just to check. No problems there.
Guessing the major public promotional launch period is over. I know I bought mine in the store, just to see, but there is really no point to buying the in store starter pack, when ordering BB online is free. I haven't seen too many TV ads recently as well.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Guessing the promotional period is over. I know I bought mine in the store, just to see, but there is really no point to buying the in store starter pack, when ordering BB online is free.
Makes sense. It's been a few months, and I never did understand why anyone would pay the $5...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Makes sense. It's been a few months, and I never did understand why anyone would pay the $5...
Keep reminding yourself: We are not the targeted market for this product.

We are the cost of doing business.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:40 pm

I had found a good number of VRs at 5 different CVSs in NYC as of maybe Thursday. . . all gone today (went to 4 that were close together.)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by tonyflyer
hmm.. what is the benefit of having BB as the receiving account of AP as oppose to using a regular bank account, other than qualifying BB with free atm withdraw?
I am working to move the majority of my cash recycling activities away from my normal bank. It makes it easier when it is all moving through accounts that I don't use for everyday spend.

It is annoying to try to figure out how much "real" money I have in my bank accounts when I am constantly making large deposits and holding on to $xx,000's of dollars of the CC companies cash. If it is all cycling between the CC > VR/AP > BB > CC, then I don't need to try and sort it out from my normal household budget.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dctech
I am working to move the majority of my cash recycling activities away from my normal bank. It makes it easier when it is all moving through accounts that I don't use for everyday spend.

It is annoying to try to figure out how much "real" money I have in my bank accounts when I am constantly making large deposits and holding on to $xx,000's of dollars of the CC companies cash. If it is all cycling between the CC > VR/AP > BB > CC, then I don't need to try and sort it out from my normal household budget.
Just remember your Bluebird account is NOT insured by the FDIC, unlike your normal bank's checking account. That's why Federal employees and retirees cannot set up direct deposit of their salary or retirement payments to a Bluebird account.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:25 pm

Went to a CVS today that had 1 VR left on the rack. When I tried to buy it, the cashier's register showed her a dialog box saying cash/debit only. Most Walgreen's have been doing this for a while, but this was my first time encountering it at a CVS.

Last edited by sk8uno; Feb 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.