Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by DL172
This is really interested to note and would like other feedback:

A few days ago I made a fairly large purchase at OD for some Vanillas. All were for $500 and there was a card with a lesser amount for obvious reasons...
What's your definition of "a fairly large purchase"?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:42 pm

has anyone tried to link the Bird to AP as a bank account? bank accounts can send unlimited amounts of $, so if you can feed the Bird and rack up the MSR...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:50 pm

Just returned from scouting out local WG and CVS. WG would only accept cash. CVS had plenty of beans but would only take one card. Went to another CVS using the same cc and the machine read "select other form of payment". Whether this is daily, monthly or indefinite, I'm not sure.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
has anyone tried to link the Bird to AP as a bank account? bank accounts can send unlimited amounts of $, so if you can feed the Bird and rack up the MSR...
If you posted your question in English you might get more answers - but if I translated it correctly, the thesis is an interesting one.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
It would try to withdraw from BB, which has not worked for anyone on any other method. Also, you're still limited by the 5k per month VR load limit anyway, even if it somehow did work.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by jetsarefast2
Just returned from scouting out local WG and CVS. WG would only accept cash. CVS had plenty of beans but would only take one card. Went to another CVS using the same cc and the machine read "select other form of payment". Whether this is daily, monthly or indefinite, I'm not sure.
Call your CC company to clear up the fraud alert/block.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
It would try to withdraw from BB, which has not worked for anyone on any other method. Also, you're still limited by the 5k per month VR load limit anyway, even if it somehow did work.
oh right. damn
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:25 pm

If you read back through the thread there are reports of people trying that. No one has ever reported success.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just to close this out - my two Vanilla GC's that showed activated on the receipt but were not, in fact, activated have been taken care of by Incomm. Took about 2-3 days from the time I emailed them my evidence.

Honestly a shockingly good experience, I was prepared for a really rough time. ^
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
If you read back through the thread there are reports of people trying that. No one has ever reported success.
thanks. i actually did try to read thru the thread but there were too many tangents and i wanted a quicker answer.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
I am not sure what the question is here but this flow works.

CC/GC => AP(A) => AP(B) => BB (works as ACH/DD). You can bill pay from BB to CC or the CC that sourced the GC and complete the cycle.

AP(B) has BB as an additional verified bank.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:07 pm

hmm.. what is the benefit of having BB as the receiving account of AP as oppose to using a regular bank account, other than qualifying BB with free atm withdraw?

Originally Posted by ferrari_fan

CC/GC => AP(A) => AP(B) => BB (works as ACH/DD). You can bill pay from BB to CC or the CC that sourced the GC and complete the cycle.

Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
hmm.. what is the benefit of having BB as the receiving account of AP as oppose to using a regular bank account, other than qualifying BB with free atm withdraw?
That and just convenience if you are consolidating from several VR/GCs into one place. Have an IB/IP? you will find it handy
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
For those whose CVS would not take GC for payment. That is about the only thing I could think of this is the benefit.

That and just convenience if you are consolidating from several VR/GCs into one place. Have an IB/IP? you will find it handy
Not sure what IB/IP? mean. However it is a viable workaround if one tries to go GC/VR route but CVS wouldn't take GC but DC or CC only.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:30 pm

Right and meet MSR if it doesn't have any multiplier benefit or GCs as we mentioned.

IB/IP = Ink Bold/Plus. Depending on spending, I prefer to just bill pay from single source (BB) instead of multiple payments from diff sources. Nothing wrong with it, just preference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.