Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:50 am

Scene at my favorite Walgreens this morning:

Me: "I would like to put $500 on each of these two VR cards, please."
Clerk no. 1: "I think we have a policy of only $500 per day."
Clerk no. 2: "Yes, that's right. It is designed to prevent loitering."
Me: "Loitering???"
Clerk no. 1: "Yeah, you know, loitering with money."

I purchased the card and promptly departed because, you know, I didn't want to be loitering with money.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Exterous
It took a while for mine. I signed up just before christmas and just got it today
just got it today. only took 12 long days
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
I activated auto debit, got the interest rate reduction, and then made payments using BB. The BB payments kick the payment due date forward, so the auto debit never actually takes place. I'm paying more than what's actually due every month, so my due date has been kicked way forward to the end of this year. I'd imagine if you can afford to make a double payment at least once, you'll get the auto debit discount buy never actually have the money debited from your account because you'll always be paying a month ahead.

Been doing this for a few months now.
Interesting idea. Didn't think that would work as I assumed you actually had to have the payment auto-debited to keep the lower rate but I'll give it a shot as well and report back.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk
Tried switching few numbers on VR PIN - got "Card not found (4006)". I was hoping I would hit somebody else's VR ang get their money
Thanks for trying it. Looking like I haven't been buying VRs. But InComm says these PINs have reload money on them.I've got a contact with high level support, should be interesting to see what they find.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:34 pm

tried to test the $1000 VR load limit

is this the message?

WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

ERROR PROCESSING TRANSACTION

We have NOT reloaded your card. The description of the error can be found below. Please print this screen for your records and contact Customer Service at: 1-877-429-8141

An error has occurred during this transaction. Please verify all the information is correct and try again. If you continue to receive this message contact a service representative for assistance. (180)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
tried to test the $1000 VR load limit

is this the message?
Yup.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Hilarious!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by distantarray
wow some people are sensitive, I'm Asian and I thought it was kinda stupid but funny. I guess I'm lucky cause 9/10 places I went allows me to buy with credit card doesn't matter if it's rite aid, walgreens, or cvs success at each
let's just hope Cruella Deville or any other Disney evil character aint watchin this thread too, eh?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Scene at my favorite Walgreens this morning:

Me: "I would like to put $500 on each of these two VR cards, please."
Clerk no. 1: "I think we have a policy of only $500 per day."
Clerk no. 2: "Yes, that's right. It is designed to prevent loitering."
Me: "Loitering???"

I purchased the card and promptly departed because, you know, I didn't want to be loitering with money.
I shot the clerk?
I shot the clerk!

wait a minute whoaaaaa...

lol

(maybe he means vagrancy?)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:34 pm

I'm thinking about paying my landlord from BB.
I saw that BB was going to send a check via US mail. What happens if the check get lost? Can I make a stop payment? I think the account gets debited as soon as the check is sent. Do I get credit back for lost check?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kooju999
I saw that BB was going to send a check via US mail. What happens if the check get lost? Can I make a stop payment? I think the account gets debited as soon as the check is sent. Do I get credit back for lost check?
The money is debited as soon as you make the payment online. Of course, you would get credit back for a lost check. But the number of phone calls to BB, time on hold on your phone, and waiting to get a replacement check might take close to forever.

My regular bank, SunTrust, doesn't debit your account until the check is actually deposited into the recipient's bank account.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Paying Lanlord

I would understand that there are some risks involved with this. DCBob is correct that the amount is debited from your BB account as soon as you make the payment, unlike regular checking account which would not debit until your Landlord deposits the check. I have not been through BB customer service for a check not arriving, but I imagine it is a long and painful process and that it will take a while to have the money put back into your account.

I do pay my mortgage via check through BB (since it is a small local bank) and I have had no issues with the check not getting there. However the checks have arrived three- four business days later than when BB says they would. So, I send the check with a couple of weeks of cushion time, make sure it makes it to my account before mortgage due date, and make sure to have enough money to pay my mortgage in case the check does not arrive.

Originally Posted by DCBob
The money is debited as soon as you make the payment online. Of course, you would get credit back for a lost check. But the number of phone calls to BB, time on hold on your phone, and waiting to get a replacement check might take close to forever.

My regular bank, SunTrust, doesn't debit your account until the check is actually deposited into the recipient's bank account.
Originally Posted by kooju999
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hmmm...someone is sniffing around my neighborhood for VR's and raising eyebrows with the CVS clerks with questions and not keeping a low profile. I might need to 'hided' the local supply if someone is not able to stay under the radar...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:52 pm

Big purchase coming up in two days (7K). I JUST received the Ink card in the mail. I have a prepaid Amex (that I haven't used yet), not a Bluebird, and have not tried the Vanilla scheme yet. Is it possible to use the OD GC plan, or anything else, to maximize the 5X Ink offer? The charge will be to a travel agency. Maybe try to go to different Staples/OD and just buy enough GCs to cover it? Not sure if the agency is open on Sundays to inquire how many forms of payment I can give them for one transaction

I have a second purchase (6K) coming up the week after, so I also have to figure this whole thing out for that....

Thanks for any advice and feel free to PM me
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Setting up bill pay for my Chase CC, I noticed there is an existing entry for Chase credit card payments in the BB system, but it doesn't show the address - not sure if Chase publishes different addresses or PO boxes for different credit card products, so rather than take a chance, I entered the payee info manually using the address sent to me by customer service.

For the Ink Bold card, the address to enter is:

Cardmember Services
PO Box 94014
Palatine, IL 60094-4014

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.