Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by amolkold
I should have monetized this video. Or put a Chase Ink referral link.
Well done ^
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:15 am

+1. ^

You didn't realize it when you posted it the first time that it would start floating all over FT!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
It has been viewed 7846 times as of this post, which is pretty good. That said, don't you think we all have Ink already?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by SpongyBard
Come on guys, can't someone spend a second and try that? I'm mainly curious if you get a "Card not found" error or a more specific error that the PIN is wrong. Try being dyslexic for one reload if you don't want to put all 0s or something
Tried switching few numbers on VR PIN - got "Card not found (4006)". I was hoping I would hit somebody else's VR ang get their money
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shopper711
I had same issue last week. I concur that Incomm was professional with courtsey. Here's the tip. The first time the issue surfaced, I called immediately. I was instructed to fax the copy of receipt with GC (front and back). I was told that it woudl take 3 to 5 days for them to activate the cards. After 6 days, I still had issue so I called them. They were swamped with the amount of submitted documents via fax. They had to find my copy after 10 minutes on phone and started the process to activate them within 5 to 7 days. They were activated after 4 days. The poitn is that you may want to follow up with them to see if they recieved your submitted document.
All great advice - I'd also add that they provide a reference number that you should note as it makes it easier for them when you do call back.

It's good to hear that I'm not alone!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
All great advice - I'd also add that they provide a reference number that you should note as it makes it easier for them when you do call back.

It's good to hear that I'm not alone!
It took them nine days to fix my "deactivated" card....... and I called every day!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: UA, HH
For the last few days, since it's getting harder to do a direct conversion $->VR->$ I started thinking on how much I can spend and if it's worth it... Here is what I think, correct me if I am wrong... Right now I am using Ink and Citi card as examples.

I am also currently not working on meeting any spending requirements, so I am not counting that either.

Since UR points as well as TYP have pretty direct relationship to real money - ability to book travel and buy gift cards, I look at them as an example. Personally, I think UR points are even more valuable, if one counts business class award tickets vs. ecenomy, but for now I am looking at base value - 10,000 TYP for $100 gift card (or $125 in airline tix) and similar deal with UR.

For 1x points it's clearly not worth it. We are talking about paying 80 cents for $1 worth + chance of devaluation. Might only work if small amount of miles needed to get a ticket or meeting spending requirement.

With 5x points it's a totally different story. Everybody knows that direct conversion is no longer there. But even with 3 iterations - $->GC->GC->GC->$ with $3-$4 fee every time is still like paying 50 cents for $1 worth of gift cards, tickets, etc.

The OD situation also, IMHO, helped to reduce the number of people in the game, so it should last longer.

Comments are welcome and happy VR hunting, everybody.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Artemk
Comments are welcome and happy VR hunting, everybody.
But then you have the driving around time involved. So factor in how convenient it is to purchase and redeem. For me it is very worth it for meeting minimum spend, and is allowing me to get cards I would not be able to meet spend on otherwise, but I don't see it as worth my time once minimum spend for bonus is met. If you could do 10k each trip it would be worth it, but if you need to make a special trip for each 1k, not so much.

I'm just a little dog. I don't shop like Sarah.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by rst113
For those paying student loans I think it is important to know if your loan provider is giving you an interest rate incentive for auto-debit (most federal loans have a 0.5% deduction in interest rate if you use auto-debit). Depending on your loan balance and monthly payment using bluebird may or may not make sense for you (that is an individualized decision). As an example if I have 90K in loans and monthly payment is around $500 a month, the 0.5% lower interest rate saves $450 a year (at least the first year, this number would go down yearly based on loan balance) if you use auto-debit. If you use bluebird and are able to get 5x points, the best you could hope for would be 30000 points or miles ($6000 in loan payments a year x5) + fees of a little under $50 for 12 vanilla reloads. So if 30K points/miles +$50 is not worth $450 to you then paying student loans with bluebird doesn't make sense.
I activated auto debit, got the interest rate reduction, and then made payments using BB. The BB payments kick the payment due date forward, so the auto debit never actually takes place. I'm paying more than what's actually due every month, so my due date has been kicked way forward to the end of this year. I'd imagine if you can afford to make a double payment at least once, you'll get the auto debit discount buy never actually have the money debited from your account because you'll always be paying a month ahead.

Been doing this for a few months now.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by ddallas
But then you have the driving around time involved. So factor in how convenient it is to purchase and redeem. For me it is very worth it for meeting minimum spend, and is allowing me to get cards I would not be able to meet spend on otherwise, but I don't see it as worth my time once minimum spend for bonus is met. If you could do 10k each trip it would be worth it, but if you need to make a special trip for each 1k, not so much.

If it's along your daily trail anyway, a short stop is hardly inconvenient. That may not be the case for many......and of course, that's why for all YMMV.

For me, i pass multiple locations daily, but only stop a few times a month.

Can one of our math whizzes layout the comparison of using the INK for OD/GC >>CeeVeeSams versus direct INK for CEEVEESams?^

If you would like to throw in another card that's not terribly risky, feel free.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by shoreline
Can one of our math whizzes layout the comparison of using the INK for OD/GC >>CeeVeeSams versus direct INK for CEEVEESams?^
Basically depends on how far your OD is, what GCs they still sell, and if the drugstore easily accepts GCs. Without those factors, any math analysis is fairly useless, and it would be semi-difficult to quantify those.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Basically depends on how far your OD is, what GCs they still sell, and if the drugstore easily accepts GCs. Without those factors, any math analysis is fairly useless, and it would be semi-difficult to quantify those.
I'm not trying to include gas/mileage, driving time, etc.

Let's say OD GC's or prepaids in $100 and $200 increments and yes drugstores accept them.
I have seen some of the Geddes (spelling may not be correct) Vanilla cards for $20-$500.

Edit: Nevermind, no math whiz needed. I layed out my own comparison, it was a silly question.

Last edited by shoreline; Jan 5, 2013 at 1:23 pm Reason: ect=etc.; nevermind added.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ddallas

10k might be pushing it, but some may have that kind of patience. Personally I find OD TSAs to be a lot more stringent than the manager Sarah crossed swords with regarding VRs.

I just go on a Bean Run (BR > MR ^) one day of the week and it is good enough for the month.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
My secretary has a very wise saying: "The biggest problem with stupid people is that they don't know how stupid they are." It's a very Delphic kind of phrase.
dunning kruger
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by distantarray
wow some people are sensitive, I'm Asian and I thought it was kinda stupid but funny. I guess I'm lucky cause 9/10 places I went allows me to buy with credit card doesn't matter if it's rite aid, walgreens, or cvs success at each
You've found VR cards at Rite Aid stores? They aren't even on the list of stores that carry them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.