Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dren1980
Well, here is something kind of Scarry! I had funds deposited into my bluebird account and attempted to withdraw at walmart. I first attempted to withdraw $300.00 with success. The system said their was a $1.50 fee associated with the withdraw, this was not the case and American Express took care of this automatically. I tried to take out another $200.00 directly after (With the bluebird card, you can take out a total of $500.00 per day). I was declined because it attempted to charge me that $1.50 again which would have made it $501.50. I went to look at my statement and found that Amex took out the $200.00 thinking I withdrew that money. I called Amex to advise that I have the printed reciept declining this, they said they would run an investigation. It's been 4 days, no response from Amex. I urge anyone needing a prepaid unbank card to STAY CLEAR OF THIS ONE!
Thanks for the post.

I hope this works out.

Why in the world are you using a fee-charging ATM to take money off of bb?? There are so many free ways to liquidate.

Pm if you need help.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:55 pm

Has anybody confirmed that small transfers from PP count as DD and give free ATM access?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:13 pm

I know there are stories out there concerning accounts being shut down due to perceived fraud, or even Chase Ink getting concerened about OD additions of visa gift cards on their account....how do you stay clear of any events triggering fraud.

Right now I am planning to get 1-2 $480 to $500 ( each) visa gift cards at OD and then loading them at CVS with VR...are these transactions small enough so as not to trigger some kind of review? I have no need for more VR amounts.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:15 pm

NY BANKER...can you please explain your above post about liquidating money from the acct?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Has anybody confirmed that small transfers from PP count as DD and give free ATM access?
Yes it is labeled as DD.

Though I have not made any ATM withdrawal (no need to) so no idea if it would make the withdrawal free of fee.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Yes small transfers from PP to BB count as DDs. And yes, they do allow for fee free ATM withdrawal at recognized locations.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
No, I think that's silly unless you are up to something really shady or are a new Amex cardholder with an income that can't support your purchases.

So go ahead and use your Amex Hilton or Amex SPG credit card. I have been doing it regularly (2-3 times per week). They give you maximum value in terms of hotel awards.
well, BB is an AMEX product and I've just read this thread on another forum about the intricacies of FRs: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cred...d/td-p/1765362

i have many CCs and report my real income, but i just don't want to deal with the hassle of an FR. i'll just stick to spreading out VR purchases over multiple non-AMEX cards.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by samnc0
I know there are stories out there concerning accounts being shut down due to perceived fraud, or even Chase Ink getting concerened about OD additions of visa gift cards on their account....how do you stay clear of any events triggering fraud.

Right now I am planning to get 1-2 $480 to $500 ( each) visa gift cards at OD and then loading them at CVS with VR...are these transactions small enough so as not to trigger some kind of review? I have no need for more VR amounts.
I am aware of no such stories being reported on FT. Many people have expressed concern that these things could happen, but, to my knowledge, no one has reported a BB account closure or Chase account closure related to BB.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Chase has no idea what you're buying at Office Depot - they only see the transaction amount. Now if you are doing the same transaction amount at OD every few days and not using the card anywhere else, that might pique someone's interests if the account is flagged for a check - and if they put two and two together, they might figure out what you're doing, but buying Visa gift cards is not a violation of the cardmember agreement or Visa terms, no rules are being broken here. Chase and Visa earn the transaction fee regardless of whether you buy gift cards or pencils....and OD likely earns at least a small profit from Vanilla or Amex when you buy a gift card - but there is a chance the processing fee OD pays on a large gift card purchase won't cover their revenue from the purchase, so the only party likely to shut you down is Office Depot or CVS - and that would/could happen if some people continue to show greed over restraint.

As long as the OD/CVS purchases remain an indistinguishable amount of store revenue flow, it's unlikely to get shut down - the Vanilla Reload cards sent people pouring into OD stores in an uncontrolled orgy of greed, and that's why you don't see the reload cards there anymore. Do the same at CVS, and either the reload cards or the ability to buy them with credit will be gone there too.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
. . . There are so many free ways to liquidate.

Pm if you need help.
NY BANKER...can you please explain your above post about liquidating money from the acct?
I think the answer is "yes, if you send a PM."
Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:53 am

bluebird and student loans

anyone know how to set it up on bluebird? i'm not even sure who the payee is (i have a subsidized fixed-rate Stafford Federal Loan)

i log in via https://www.myedaccount.com/
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: Several dozen
The surprise nature of the FR, the conviction that you are a damned heretic worthy to be burned at the stake, and the likelihood of credit line reduction about covers the fun of an FR. Because you were deemed worthy of torture by The Spanish Inquisition, the credit line lowering (actual torture) is just to prove the Cardinals did their job. However, in my experience, my credit lines soared with other banks and doubled with AMEX by year end (with no change in income).

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
well, BB is an AMEX product and I've just read this thread on another forum about the intricacies of FRs: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cred...d/td-p/1765362

i have many CCs and report my real income, but i just don't want to deal with the hassle of an FR. i'll just stick to spreading out VR purchases over multiple non-AMEX cards.

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Dec 26, 2012 at 9:59 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: Several dozen
Buried within all credit card terms and conditions is the bank right to cancel the relationship for whatever reason. Just because no rules are being broken does not prevent the bank from killing your (credit or deposit) account if their cardinals just don't like the look of your transaction patterns.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Chase has no idea what you're buying at Office Depot - they only see the transaction amount. Now if you are doing the same transaction amount at OD every few days and not using the card anywhere else, that might pique someone's interests if the account is flagged for a check - and if they put two and two together, they might figure out what you're doing, but buying Visa gift cards is not a violation of the cardmember agreement or Visa terms, no rules are being broken here. Chase and Visa earn the transaction fee regardless of whether you buy gift cards or pencils....and OD likely earns at least a small profit from Vanilla or Amex when you buy a gift card - but there is a chance the processing fee OD pays on a large gift card purchase won't cover their revenue from the purchase, so the only party likely to shut you down is Office Depot or CVS - and that would/could happen if some people continue to show greed over restraint.

As long as the OD/CVS purchases remain an indistinguishable amount of store revenue flow, it's unlikely to get shut down - the Vanilla Reload cards sent people pouring into OD stores in an uncontrolled orgy of greed, and that's why you don't see the reload cards there anymore. Do the same at CVS, and either the reload cards or the ability to buy them with credit will be gone there too.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:35 am

Most of the federal loans are issued through state or local servicing agencies.

You're going to have to contact the servicing company and find out where to mail a check. I've been paying two student loans via two different servicers and some are harder to deal with than others.

I have had success paying both my loans with bluebird.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
[QUOTE=AscorbylPalmitate;19921667] i'm not even sure who the payee is (i have a subsidized fixed-rate Stafford Federal Loan)
QUOTE]
I think knowing whom the payee is on your student loans is a lot more important thantrying ot earn some miles,
I wonder if i can use this question in interviews? i will have to run it by my HR department, "Please tell me the name of your student loan servicer", this will let me know whom pays attention to details on large accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.