Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just to add dimension,

Bluebird is just another feather (sorry ) in this strategy - you see opticians, dentists, primary health care, fast food, travel, and even retail banking (operated by contract) - essentially Walmart becomes the new 'center of town', replacing the traditional small town America business district, cramming 3 blocks of independent retailers under the Walmart roof, and now Walmart gets a cut of every retail transaction rung up in these towns.

The entrepreneur side of me is impressed, but the human side of me is disgusted.

Bolded above is very true. The latest Wal Mart edition I have seen is an insurance agents office now located inside the Wal Mart Supercenter.

However, it's a bummer with no ATM machines present. (I have never used the BB for ATM anyway, but it would be nice if they had them since they are promoting the BB so heavily now).

Last edited by shoreline; Dec 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm Reason: added ATM info.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:30 pm

I can see the VR scheme being worth it for Amex Hilton, SPG and Chase Ink cards. Aside from meeting spending requirements are there any other cards that this would be worth doing this on an ongoing basis? I was hoping to spread the reloads around with non-AMEX cards. Ink is not an option since I use them for real businesses. PM if you prefer.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by pointnoob
I can see the VR scheme being worth it for Amex Hilton, SPG and Chase Ink cards. Aside from meeting spending requirements are there any other cards that this would be worth doing this on an ongoing basis? I was hoping to spread the reloads around with non-AMEX cards. Ink is not an option since I use them for real businesses. PM if you prefer.
I bought some with Premier Pass (Elite, or whatever it is called) to transfer some flight points - have quite a few of those... But I agree, at 1x it's not worth it for me, barely with 2x the points.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by shoreline
However, it's a bummer with no ATM machines present. (I have never used the BB for ATM anyway, but it would be nice if they had them since they are promoting the BB so heavily now).
They have them in stores. Maybe only certain markets at certain intervals.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Virgin Atlantic amex from BOA is 1.5 miles per $, so that cuts the cost down some. If I have ro use a credit card for VR, I go with Hilton At CVS, comes out to less than $200 in fees for a 4 night AXON award for a high price city.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:29 pm

Not super familiar with VA except that you can transfer to Hilton at 2:1 so you would effectively get 3 Hilton Points per $ which would be comparable to what you can get with the CITI cards. Obviously Hilton card would be best but dumping $60000 a year into drugstore purchases might get someone burned at the stake. Not sure if 3 Hilton points would be worth the trouble and expense.

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Virgin Atlantic amex from BOA is 1.5 miles per $, so that cuts the cost down some. If I have ro use a credit card for VR, I go with Hilton At CVS, comes out to less than $200 in fees for a 4 night AXON award for a high price city.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
The entrepreneur side of me is impressed, but the human side of me is disgusted.
On a complete other note, it has always saddened me that so many people have and act on two sides. I'm not criticizing you per se, but so many times we have all run into situations where someone acts all business to you on the one side but is a nice family man or something on the other lol.

For me, I try to make it so that everything is of me and from me and I cant hardly separate the two. That's probably why I'm not a CEO or a mogul titan of industry.

I guess that's why one of my favorite and most poignant quotes is in the words of the heroine of the film, You’ve Got Mail: “You keep saying it’s not personal, it’s business. What is that supposed to mean? I am so sick of that. All that means is that it wasn’t personal to you. But it was personal to me…Whatever else anything is, it ought to begin by being personal.”
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
They have them in stores. Maybe only certain markets at certain intervals.

I am sure they do, I just have not seen any ATM machines in the WM's I checked out while I travel or in my area.

I know I have read others here reporting they have them in there area's.

I surely wish I could find them, I might decide to use one every once in a while. I know we have them in a few other places, just not the WM's yet.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:02 am

Walmart provides goods and services to the 'humanity' at a very low/reasonable prices. Every coin has 2 sides, depends which one you look at....then flip it.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: USairways, Marriot, Hyatt, Hilton, Rapid Rewards
Just tried to load a reload card and got an error message. I called Incomm and they said there system is overwhelmed andI do in fact have $500 on my reload card. I got nervous that you couldn't load Bluebird anymore with Vanilla Reload because the Amex logo is not on the website but the customer service representative said this wasn't the case and to try again in an hour. We shall see.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, JB, DL

Just purchased a few VR's at Walgreens... Credit Card was used, no problem! Cashier said credit or debit fine for VR's, but not for Green Dot... That is CASH ONLY.
Both Walgreens and CVS near my crib have plenty of VRs. Just outside of Detroit.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Not super familiar with VA except that you can transfer to Hilton at 2:1 so you would effectively get 3 Hilton Points per $ which would be comparable to what you can get with the CITI cards. Obviously Hilton card would be best but dumping $60000 a year into drugstore purchases might get someone burned at the stake. Not sure if 3 Hilton points would be worth the trouble and expense.
When you buy the VR card at CVS with Hilton you get 6 points per $ or 3000 points per card so only 40 cards to buy for the award.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: USairways, Marriot, Hyatt, Hilton, Rapid Rewards
Update: Was just able to reload my Bluebird.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
When you buy the VR card at CVS with Hilton you get 6 points per $ or 3000 points per card so only 40 cards to buy for the award.

JudyJFLA
The Citi Hilton gives you 3 points at drugstores, right?

Is there any limit on the 3 points you can earn?

Is says 3 points per $1 at supermarkets, wonder if safeway stores like Dominicks is considered supermarket.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by emptiness
The Citi Hilton gives you 3 points at drugstores, right?

Is there any limit on the 3 points you can earn?

Is says 3 points per $1 at supermarkets, wonder if safeway stores like Dominicks is considered supermarket.
yes the free citi hilton gives 3 pts per dollar at drugstores, the free amex hilton card gives 6 points per dollar at drugstores, the citi card is not as valuable except for the initial sign up bonus, and the fact it is one of the few cards that can be truely churned ever 65 days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.