Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:23 pm

registered and go this error: "You have the following errors.
date of birth: Sorry, you have to be at least 18 to open a bluebird account (19 in Alabama or Nebraska). Enjoy your youth." weird it wouldn't take my DOB even though I'm older than 18..lol
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by webazoid
registered and go this error: "You have the following errors.
date of birth: Sorry, you have to be at least 18 to open a bluebird account (19 in Alabama or Nebraska). Enjoy your youth." weird it wouldn't take my DOB even though I'm older than 18..lol
Make sure you type it in as the full year (2012) and not just the '12'. This caught me the 1st time I tried as well.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:29 pm

Might have to 01/01/2012. Dont for the "/"
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:31 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Revolution Money Exchange Customers

In 2008 we were involved in a promo that effects our ability to get the Bluebird card. Serve bought the Revolution Money Exchange and you may still have an open Serve account you did not know about.

A phone call to Serve will straighten out the issue. They will escalate to a separate department that will send you a refund and you can then close your Serve account and open the Bluebird
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also close your Serve account online, with just a few clicks. You can recover your password in a few minutes, log back in, and cancel Serve.

It's fast. Then you get get a Bluebird.

I hated Serve, and this newish website looks disturbingly similar.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
You can also close your Serve account online, with just a few clicks. You can recover your password in a few minutes, log back in, and cancel Serve.

For points it was worth it though.
They declined to send it to my HK/Canadian address though.
Might have to go postal with someone I know in the US.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Went into physical store and register blocks credit as a payment form for the temporary card, at least to purchase. Just a datapoint, but I'm guessing it is a home office thing, so it should be similar at any other location. Not something that can be overridden. Also would not ring up any other items during the purchase, had to buy it on a separate receipt.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Went into physical store and register blocks credit as a payment form for the temporary card, at least to purchase. Just a datapoint, but I'm guessing it is a home office thing, so it should be similar at any other location. Not something that can be overridden. Also would not ring up any other items during the purchase, had to buy it on a separate receipt.
I had the same result with only a debit card allowed today at the store.
Has anyone been able to set up direct deposit simply from a bank account bill pay?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
I had the same result with only a debit card allowed today at the store.
Has anyone been able to set up direct deposit simply from a bank account bill pay?
Don't know, but I'll be able to get DD from my employer anyway so no concerns there. There is a $5 fee for buying in store, so I wouldn't bother going in most circumstances. FWIW I was apparently the first one to buy one at the particular store today, nobody had heard about it but the cashier had some clue, so apparently there must have been training on it (rare for this particular company).

Last edited by TheBOSman; Oct 16, 2012 at 6:53 pm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern

canceled serve an hour ago. opened new browser and still says the following
Thank you for
choosing Bluebird.
Sorry, but we cannot approve you for a Bluebird Account at this time because you have an existing Serve Account. If you have any questions, please contact us by calling Customer Service at 1-877-486-5990.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:06 pm

I was able to register even though I have an active serve.com account. I don't know how it matches but I know I registered with a different e-mail address.

The account truly refines the difference between what a bank account is/isn't. Outside of withdrawal/check writing privileges and no FDIC insurance, there's not much left. There biggest competition I suppose is those money stores...

However, one thing I will miss is my Serve account had no name on the physical card itself. It was easy to just hand to someone who was buying you lunch, etc... I liked that.

I may just have to send a few hundred off the direct deposit here each month to keep them happy .
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Might have to 01/01/2012. Dont for the "/"
thats it. thanks
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by johndoe123
I was able to register even though I have an active serve.com account. I don't know how it matches but I know I registered with a different e-mail address.
This was the case for me as well… also just by using a different email address.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:28 pm

If one was to use this card just for just sending checks would this trigger an FR from Amex? I would fund this card only by vanilla.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by y2chen
This was the case for me as well… also just by using a different email address.
used different emails but still says CLOSE YOUR SERVE FIRST.

I did close my serve account online 2 hrs ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.