Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Dec 22, 12, 4:39 pm
  #4441  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
Didn't you say that you have purchased VRs that you don't know what to do with ....? I think that's the first sign of greed....
Originally Posted by DCBob View Post
It's obviously being greedy when you buy more than you can possibly load in one month. So when somebody who bought more VR cards than can be loaded during the month starts asking how to unload them other than on BB .... THAT is greedy.
I wonder how you two concluded that I have bought more than 5 VRs in a month?!
I just asked whether there is a reasonable alternative for Bluebird to unload VRs. If I can find information that a good alternative exists, of course I will buy more VRs, so will do anybody else in points game. This is how the entire game works. Search, ask, find, use, share for good will ...
You need to educate yourselves not to judge others based on your misunderstandings.
mizzou1 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 4:46 pm
  #4442  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Posts: 2,278
Originally Posted by marktelefono View Post
I'm not weighing in on the greed issue, but there are other ways to use VR cards other than BB. VR were not designed with a $5000 cap in mind. There are simple ways to use them at much greater levels than $5000 a month.
I tried to load my latest VR onto my BB last night and received an error, when I called I was told I had hit the limit for the month, but my screen only showed $4200 including Debit loads at Wallyworld. Anyone else have this happen? I figure I will just wait until Jan 1st, but isn't the $5K limit just on VR Loads or total loads? Using this as a way to off my Amex Gift Cards at CVS.

There is a paypal prepaid card that allows up to a $15K balance and has a 5% savings account and free ATM access, and will send you a check if you close the account, but too many horror stories about Paypal out there keeping your money for months for me to try it!! Anyone having success with it?

JudyJFLA
JudyJFLA is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 4:58 pm
  #4443  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,171
I have used the $200 visa gift cards from the staples rebate deal to buy vr at cvs, the cvs register was able to recognize the total amount . Does anyone have any experience with the vanilla gift card from od? In recognizing what is on the card?
particlemn is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 5:15 pm
  #4444  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by mizzou1 View Post
I wonder how you two concluded that I have bought more than 5 VRs in a month?!
I just asked whether there is a reasonable alternative for Bluebird to unload VRs. If I can find information that a good alternative exists, of course I will buy more VRs, so will do anybody else in points game. This is how the entire game works. Search, ask, find, use, share for good will ...
You need to educate yourselves not to judge others based on your misunderstandings.
On your card there are symbols of sources: Mio, Netspend, MyVanilla. I'm sure there are more, but most of them have a lot more fees than bluebird, and may or may not have the ACH / Billpay features.

I did just see there is a AMEX prepaid that looks like a hybrid Target / Bluebird. Doesn't appear to have billpay, can be reloaded with VR, 1 free atm per month, no montly fee, etc. Can have up to 3 of those I think.

Depending on your unload preference you have to figure out what works best for you considering time, money and risk (pack of gum + $200, MO, ATM, ACH, etc).
zozeppelin is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 5:56 pm
  #4445  
Used to be garyjr316
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX or SBA
Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Posts: 794
** Odd thing happened to me today. I went in to a CVS that had in the past told me they only took cash for VR purchases. Today I figured I would try and get a Paypal reload and see what happened. They took the credit card no problems asked. Soo... what did I do? of course I went back a few hours later and tried to purchase the VR's using a credit card and they allowed it. The only thing the clerk asked me is if there were only 2 cards because there is a $1000 limit per day. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but the fact that a store that used to be a "No Go" is now back in my rotation is a great thing!
Dad to GO is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 6:06 pm
  #4446  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: Marriott Platinum
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by Dad to GO View Post
** Odd thing happened to me today. I went in to a CVS that had in the past told me they only took cash for VR purchases. Today I figured I would try and get a Paypal reload and see what happened. They took the credit card no problems asked. Soo... what did I do? of course I went back a few hours later and tried to purchase the VR's using a credit card and they allowed it. The only thing the clerk asked me is if there were only 2 cards because there is a $1000 limit per day. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but the fact that a store that used to be a "No Go" is now back in my rotation is a great thing!
in most instances, it's cashier based. As in, if a specific cashier *feels* that the policy is not to accept CC, then they won't, irrespective of what the actual policy is. Yes, you can get a manager involved, etc, but honestly, it's not worth the effort. Just go back after some time to a different cashier and try you luck again.
the_jaguar is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 6:33 pm
  #4447  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angles
Posts: 2,101
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
HSBC and Wells Fargo KNOWINGLY facilitated such money laundering scheme as in some incidents multiple large amounts of cash were deposited into one single account day after day and then transferred out to offshore accounts...

Before you make such analogy (which is not even a good analogy in many fronts but that is too OT), you should at least get the facts straight instead of just headliners.

If you are not comfortable in cash transactions the way you feel the stores are handling, by all means, contact the district manager and regional manager and may be the executive office to voice your concern - that you are afraid drug money may be used to buy the reloadables...if the stores want cash only. Tell the higher-ups that the stores are in essence facilitate such illicit act if they only take cash.

Hey, Walgreen should be your No.1 chain to initiate such action - as virtually 90% of the Walgreen stores are reportedly cash only.

Get on the Crusader act to be a worthy citizen, to prevent drug money laundering illicit act in the country, not just for your little VR pursuit. You are after a much bigger issue that affects Public's well being... such a noble clause...
Are you CVS employee? or a corporate lawyer? in crusade to defend CVS? I wonder who in the right mind would buy VR card 'Cash' (unless its for money laundering purposes). If CVS insists 'cash Only' as 'corporate policy' they know they are 'Facilitating' money laundering just like HSBC bank and may be fined...(not obvious?)

People - Are there any legitimate reasons/benefits to buy VR all Cash? anyone buying from Walgreens? I am curious..
prasha11 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 6:39 pm
  #4448  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT USA
Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Posts: 4,077
Originally Posted by DCBob View Post
Never buy more than 5K in VR per month. Buying more is just greedy and deprives others who can't find 5K in VR per month. Flame away!
What is the magic of $5k? There are plenty of uses beyond this threshold.
NYBanker is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 6:56 pm
  #4449  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,362
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Are you CVS employee? or a corporate lawyer? in crusade to defend CVS? I wonder who in the right mind would buy VR card 'Cash' (unless its for money laundering purposes). If CVS insists 'cash Only' as 'corporate policy' they know they are 'Facilitating' money laundering just like HSBC bank and may be fined...(not obvious?)

People - Are there any legitimate reasons/benefits to buy VR all Cash? anyone buying from Walgreens? I am curious..
Mind you, CVS is NOT the only retailer that some stores request cash purchase only. Why dont you pick a fight with Walgreen? Family Dollar? or some gas stations which also carry the VR but are "cash only"? Why only pick on CVS? just because it is about the only national chain that would take CC for such purchase but it so happens that the store you went would not let you?

As for buying VR with cash - lots of people would, though most likely not in the $1000 per pop fashion. People with no bank accounts but still need to pay bills, and/or send money to family members live in another city - using a BB account is much cheaper than other means to accomplish what they need to get done. You would be surprised to learn there are many people dont have bank accounts and go to WalMart every pay period to cash their payroll checks / pay bills / send money to their families... Go to the Money Center of a big WalMart store and see for yourself the fee schedule posted on the wall there for various services people use everyday. Many of such services could be handled now via BB with no fee as long as you pay to buy the reloadable and then has the money sit in your BB account.

Dont you see the big splash slogan on the Bluebird site reads as this:

Your Checking and Debit Alternative
Loads with features, not fees.


This is the market segment WalMart is targeting for years but its quest to enter retail banking is constantly thawed by the regulatory body for obvious reasons. So finally it teams up with AMEX, another heavy weight in the card business to offer a pseudo banking product without the need to get a bank license. With its current fee-based services, all it earns are the fees on each transaction, it does not get money sitting in a bank account that can facilitate a lending business or whatever banking activities that earn the bank money. With a BB account, it is highly likely that there is always some balance in the account, just like a normal bank account. As its popularity grows, it becomes a source of near 0 cost of money supply to finance WalMart's business. Business 101 if you will.

Like I said, if you feel so strongly about CVS or any retailers (including all the outlets that sell reloables with cash only such as WG, Family Dollar etc, are engaging to facilitate drug money laundering, why dont you take up the cause and write to your Congressmen instead of yelping on FT? All because you were having a hard time at a CVS store and for whatever reason the store refused to sell you a VR so you are coming up with such as "drug money laundering facilitator" thesis...

I will wager to bet that 90% of the thread readers find your thesis / accusation pretty laughable.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 22, 12 at 7:11 pm
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 6:57 pm
  #4450  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Land of the parrots and parrotheads
Programs: Several dozen
Posts: 4,818
Some people need to pay for things online and so they require a card. If the card does not resolve to an identity you have the perfect vehicle for buying porn, grey market drugs, and other assorted "legitimate" items. Provided a public offical has a card reader, it might even speed up the exchange of money for "legitimate" bribes.

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
People - Are there any legitimate reasons/benefits to buy VR all Cash? anyone buying from Walgreens? I am curious..
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 7:01 pm
  #4451  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Land of the parrots and parrotheads
Programs: Several dozen
Posts: 4,818
Good advice - let's all write our Congressman. Afterall, it takes a crook to catch a crook.

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
People with no bank accounts but still need to pay bills, and/or send money to family members live in another city - using a BB account is much cheaper than other means to accomplish what they need to get done. You would be surprised to learn there are many people dont have bank accounts and go to WalMart every pay period to cash their payroll checks / pay bills / send money to their families...

Like I said, if you feel so strongly about CVS or any retailers (including all the outlets that sell reloables with cash only such as WG, Family Dollar etc, are engaging to facilitate drug money laundering, why dont you take up the cause and write to your Congressmen instead of yelping on FT?
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 7:15 pm
  #4452  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,362
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy View Post
Good advice - let's all write our Congressman. Afterall, it takes a crook to catch a crook.
No kidding!

It is just so laughable to accuse CVS is facilitate drug money laundering, why not accusing Walgreen, or Family Dollar or some gas station chains in certain states that also sell VRs with cash only?

For that, now I have a better understanding why lwildernorva posted his secretary's wise saying.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
My secretary has a very wise saying: "The biggest problem with stupid people is that they don't know how stupid they are." It's a very Delphic kind of phrase.
Indeed!
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 7:52 pm
  #4453  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angles
Posts: 2,101
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Mind you, CVS is NOT the only retailer that some stores request cash purchase only. Why dont you pick a fight with Walgreen? Family Dollar? or some gas stations which also carry the VR but are "cash only"? Why only pick on CVS? just because it is about the only national chain that would take CC for such purchase but it so happens that the store you went would not let you?

As for buying VR with cash - lots of people would, though most likely not in the $1000 per pop fashion. People with no bank accounts but still need to pay bills, and/or send money to family members live in another city - using a BB account is much cheaper than other means to accomplish what they need to get done. You would be surprised to learn there are many people dont have bank accounts and go to WalMart every pay period to cash their payroll checks / pay bills / send money to their families... Go to the Money Center of a big WalMart store and see for yourself the fee schedule posted on the wall there for various services people use everyday. Many of such services could be handled now via BB with no fee as long as you pay to buy the reloadable and then has the money sit in your BB account.

Dont you see the big splash slogan on the Bluebird site reads as this:

Your Checking and Debit Alternative
Loads with features, not fees.


This is the market segment WalMart is targeting for years but its quest to enter retail banking is constantly thawed by the regulatory body for obvious reasons. So finally it teams up with AMEX, another heavy weight in the card business to offer a pseudo banking product without the need to get a bank license. With its current fee-based services, all it earns are the fees on each transaction, it does not get money sitting in a bank account that can facilitate a lending business or whatever banking activities that earn the bank money. With a BB account, it is highly likely that there is always some balance in the account, just like a normal bank account. As its popularity grows, it becomes a source of near 0 cost of money supply to finance WalMart's business. Business 101 if you will.

Like I said, if you feel so strongly about CVS or any retailers (including all the outlets that sell reloables with cash only such as WG, Family Dollar etc, are engaging to facilitate drug money laundering, why dont you take up the cause and write to your Congressmen instead of yelping on FT? All because you were having a hard time at a CVS store and for whatever reason the store refused to sell you a VR so you are coming up with such as "drug money laundering facilitator" thesis...

I will wager to bet that 90% of the thread readers find your thesis / accusation pretty laughable.
I am not picking fight with anyone, and I don't care to fight with anyone ...I wonder why U have angry tone

I understand the need/use for BB, but VR is not necessary. If some one is buying VR with cash why not load cash directly to BB at Walmart and save 3.95 for every load, Is there a need for a middle man (VR)?
Even for Credit card load, BB can add that option into their loadable features, for a reasonable fee, no need for VR and CVS....or any retail.
prasha11 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 8:07 pm
  #4454  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,996
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
People - Are there any legitimate reasons/benefits to buy VR all Cash? anyone buying from Walgreens? I am curious..
These products are designed for people with poor/no credit, likely no debit card, and who can't get a normal credit card. They buy the product with cash and it allows them to use the card like you or I would use a CC.

Seriously - who did you think all these reloadable products were marketed to?
Stoughton is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 8:10 pm
  #4455  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AA, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 658
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
I am not picking fight with anyone, and I don't care to fight with anyone ...I wonder why U have angry tone

I understand the need/use for BB, but VR is not necessary. If some one is buying VR with cash why not load cash directly to BB at Walmart and save 3.95 for every load, Is there a need for a middle man (VR)?
Even for Credit card load, BB can add that option into their loadable features, for a reasonable fee, no need for VR and CVS....or any retail.
Yes, there is a legitimate reason to buy VR. Many people, believe it or not, do not live near a Walmart and cannot therefore load cash at Walmart. For example, there is only one Walmart in Los Angeles, one of the largest cities in the country. I never go to Walmart, yet I use BB. I'm not going to drive an extra 30-60min out of the way to load up directly at Walmart. I'd rather pay the $3.95 fee.

Additionally, your premise that VR is even an attractive tool for money laundering is dubious. VR is only one step removed from depositing the cash into one's bank account, which is what a launderer presumably wants to avoid. Essentially every VR option I know if is easily trackable with the proper permissions. I may be wrong about this is I'm admittedly lacking in laundering experience, but VR seems like a silly tool for money laundering.

In any event, the important thing is staying focused on your end goal: obtaining VR. Making a stink at a store usually does not help you achieve that goal. I agree it's frustrating when a cashier refuses to sell you VR even when it's obviously not against corporate policy. That's part of the hassle of this game, though. We all have to deal with it. You can either walk away, or you can politely ask the manager to make sure his employees are properly trained. I opt for the first choice, as there's no guarantee getting the manager involved will help your cause.
sk8uno is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: