Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
of course none of this matters after the bloggers point out that CVS is the only CC accepting chain and that jan is 5% back on drugstores for certain CC's ...this will soon go the way of office depot.
Freedom's $1500 cap for the entire first quarter (3 VRs) is not comparable to OD in the slightest. It will not even be noticed.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by prasha11
Business don't give 'privileges' they provide goods/services and that's what they get paid for...
+1^
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:01 pm
Suspended

sorry I disagree, would you walk away from a mcdonalds because you ordered fries and the cashier didn't know which button to push to complete the order? Would you go quietly to another red lobster if the hostess refused to serve you because your overweight? Poor training and/or refusing a sale because they are uncomfortable, or never loaded a card for $500 is not acceptable. If they are uncomfortable making a $1000 sale to a verifiable CC holder for their company, then they don't belong on a cash register. If the policy is to check ID to verify it matches the CC and then sell the customer a VR if it does, then every cashier should do just that.
The point is if you find an untrained or discriminating cashier instead of slinking away to another store like your doing something illegal, find a manager and stand up for yourself.
exactly.^
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
My secretary has a very wise saying: "The biggest problem with stupid people is that they don't know how stupid they are." It's a very Delphic kind of phrase.
+

Originally Posted by prasha11
Business don't give 'privileges' they provide goods/services and that's what they get paid for...
Originally Posted by emptiness
+1^
In a (relatively) free-market society, if you don't like how an enterprise does business, your recourse is to take your business elsewhere. If there are no businesses that do business the way you wish it done, you are free to start such a business and exploit that untapped market.

sorry I disagree, would you walk away from a mcdonalds because you ordered fries and the cashier didn't know which button to push to complete the order? Would you go quietly to another red lobster if the hostess refused to serve you because your overweight? Poor training and/or refusing a sale because they are uncomfortable, or never loaded a card for $500 is not acceptable. If they are uncomfortable making a $1000 sale to a verifiable CC holder for their company, then they don't belong on a cash register. If the policy is to check ID to verify it matches the CC and then sell the customer a VR if it does, then every cashier should do just that.
The point is if you find an untrained or discriminating cashier instead of slinking away to another store like your doing something illegal, find a manager and stand up for yourself.
Originally Posted by emptiness
exactly.^
Yes, it would be nice if it worked this way. But as many people have learned, speaking to a manager, even in a simple, inquisitive way, often does not yield consistent results.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
anyone tried to load BB with MO's bought at WM w/ pts earning card? would alleviate the extra step of even needing beans
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by kdinino
anyone tried to load BB with MO's bought at WM w/ pts earning card? would alleviate the extra step of even needing beans
You can do this using a card like the SunTrust debit card which earns Delta SkyPesos. The only issue with that is that you'd be earning SkyPesos when you could be earning more points, or at the least more valuable points, by using a credit card and buying VRs.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mizzou1
I am also looking for the best alternative for BB to unload VRs. If any suggestion, please PM me too.
Never buy more than 5K in VR per month. Buying more is just greedy and deprives others who can't find 5K in VR per month. Flame away!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by DCBob
Never buy more than 5K in VR per month. Buying more is just greedy and deprives others who can't find 5K in VR per month. Flame away!
+1
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:56 am

This is a funny discussion, and both sides probably are right and wrong, on certain levels. But in the end, I think we all expect CVS to end this game eventually, so you have to factor that into the equation. Will pestering managers and threatening lawsuits help extend the life of the beans, or will it hasten the end of beans at CVS.

Yesterday, I was buying a single bean, and the clerk hesitated and said I needed to use cash. I acted surprised(bought here before) and mentioned I've done it before. She rang it up and saw that it was going to work, but was still hesitant. I think she was scared of the ramifications for her job if I was engaging in some sort of fraud. She asked if she could call the mgr to verify, and I said of course. She did, mgr said it was fine if the ID matched, and I was on my way. That is about as far as I would push on a single transaction. I would not try to argue or threaten or anything like that, but we each have our line that we are comfortable with.

My line is just fairly conservative, as I want CVS to keep the beans going for as long as possible, so I am trying to avoid stirring any trouble.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by tuscanyx
So between all the credit cards that gives me and DH bonuses for getting VR, I can't load all of them on his BB each month (>5k). Any other suggestions to get the fund out of VR? I hesitate to use netspend, got one closure already. Don't want to have a BB acct myself since I have Serv and want to keep it. May use my Amex PP but wondering if there is anything else better than that. PMs are welcome.
There is always PP reloads, but as this has been mentioned here previously - it's a dangerous game. They close accounts left and right. The only way to get the funds out - to transfer to checking account, and this is what (I hope) everybody here is trying to avoid with BB.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Paying Spouse's credit card

Has anyone tried to pay a spouse's credit card bill? I'm not sure if the names not matching (my Bluebird, wife's CC) would cause an issue. I do have the same credit card, albeit with a different account #.

If this has been discussed (couldn't find it exactly), send me in the right direction.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
of course none of this matters after the bloggers point out that CVS is the only CC accepting chain and that jan is 5% back on drugstores for certain CC's ...this will soon go the way of office depot.
Freedom's $1500 cap for the entire first quarter (3 VRs) is not comparable to OD in the slightest. It will not even be noticed.
Also, blogs haven't endlessly promoted the Freedom card like they did the Ink cards, so awareness is likely lower.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:51 am

Is cvs the only store that accepts CC for VR purchase? There is no CVS near me, and all the Walgreens insist cash only... Need a way to meet citi card minimum spending requirement...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Has anyone tried to pay a spouse's credit card bill? I'm not sure if the names not matching (my Bluebird, wife's CC) would cause an issue. I do have the same credit card, albeit with a different account #.

If this has been discussed (couldn't find it exactly), send me in the right direction.
I've done it a few times without a problem.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
Or perhaps anything more than 2.5K is being greedy! or 7K or 4k?
How could you determine the threshold of greed? Are you using the monthly limit of Bluebird as a threshold of greed? That would be a funny correspondence! If Bluebird drops its limits, no one would be greedy then! Or if Bluebird tightens its limits, some people suddenly fall into the greed zone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.