Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cronin85
How do you guys send money to your checking account? Do you enter yourself as Payee in Bill Pay? I could enter my wife's name/account.
There is a way to electronically transfer money from bluebird to your checking account at another bank via eft. Look under "transfer funds."
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
I had a manager not sell me a VR with an Amex Gift card since in his words, people are stealing old folks social security debit cards and then putting it on other gift cards. I told him my $3000 gift card was registered to my name and address, but no go, so moved off to another store. I don't worry about the Hilton card, just buy the Amex Gift Cards at BigCrumbs for the rebate and the miles with the payment card and then use the gift card to buy the beans and other gift cards, With the rebate pauing the $3.95 per card fee for the beans, then use the balance under $500 on Amazon payments next month up to the limit on each account. Works for me over and over!

JudyJFLA
Judy...have you been stealing old folks social security debit cards again??
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99
My CVS which has been out of VRs for several weeks finally got about 20-30 in. The store manager who I have bought from a few times said the system is set to only reorder 10 at a time so she had ordered extra for me.
Everyone appreciates thoughtful and personalized service.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I think closures will be few (or nil).
Agreed. I think to get closed you'd have to repeatedly do something egregious, such as load, then immediately withdraw to your bank account.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
I had a manager not sell me a VR with an Amex Gift card since in his words, people are stealing old folks social security debit cards and then putting it on other gift cards. I told him my $3000 gift card was registered to my name and address, but no go, so moved off to another store. I don't worry about the Hilton card, just buy the Amex Gift Cards at BigCrumbs for the rebate and the miles with the payment card and then use the gift card to buy the beans and other gift cards, With the rebate pauing the $3.95 per card fee for the beans, then use the balance under $500 on Amazon payments next month up to the limit on each account. Works for me over and over!

JudyJFLA
In his defense the store I worked at during college got burned a few times like this.

People would steal CC numbers
Put them on GC
Make huge purchases (nobody asks for IDs because its GC)
Original CC gets cut off
Now they have stuff + GC for future purchases

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Lots of people have high drug store spend. Not everyone has prescription insurance. I suspect the average cvs has a handful of high three, low four digit non-VR purchases daily.

The store I worked at was near the beach.. we had people spend $500 + on BOOZE
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:56 pm

Not a huge issue since Amex isn't going anywhere, but just be aware that the funds aren't FDIC insured, so I wouldn't have a ton of money sitting on the account.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by freetravelguys
Not a huge issue since Amex isn't going anywhere, but just be aware that the funds aren't FDIC insured, so I wouldn't have a ton of money sitting on the account.
Considering that BB's maximum allowable balance is $10k, I doubt many will have an issue with it. If Amex goes down, I doubt I'll be worried about the fiat dollar .
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:33 pm

(ok derogatory language ommited this time) My point is that store policy or corporate policy should be followed by every cashier. They should not be allowed to change said policy based on their mood or thier lack of training. You might not have a right to buy anything from any store, but if a cashier denies you, (contrary to store policy) you have been discriminated against. If it is a case of poor training or customer service, than it should be brought to the attention of a Manager so they can retrain thier employee to follow policy. If it is intentional discrimination, the store can be sued. This gets even better if the race of the cashier and the customer differ. Drop a lawsuit on the corporate office and they will likely settle out of court, it happens more often than you would think.
My wife was a customer service trainer for a large global company so I know the difference between good and bad CS.
Going up the chain of management and demanding good customer service is not being unreasonable, it is your right as a consumer. Most companies realize without good POS customer service their businesses will go under (unless they have a monopoly) and action will be taken at one level or another to make sure that snarky cashier takes your CC and ID and sells you the VR like they are supposed to. You shouldnt have to walk into a store and wonder if your going to get the "bad" cashier, you should get the same results from any cashier at any store in the country (unless they allow individual store managers to set policy).
of course none of this matters after the bloggers point out that CVS is the only CC accepting chain and that jan is 5% back on drugstores for certain CC's ...this will soon go the way of office depot.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
(ok derogatory language ommited this time) My point is that store policy or corporate policy should be followed by every cashier. They should not be allowed to change said policy based on their mood or thier lack of training. You might not have a right to buy anything from any store, but if a cashier denies you, (contrary to store policy) you have been discriminated against. If it is a case of poor training or customer service, than it should be brought to the attention of a Manager so they can retrain thier employee to follow policy. If it is intentional discrimination, the store can be sued. This gets even better if the race of the cashier and the customer differ. Drop a lawsuit on the corporate office and they will likely settle out of court, it happens more often than you would think.
My wife was a customer service trainer for a large global company so I know the difference between good and bad CS.
Going up the chain of management and demanding good customer service is not being unreasonable, it is your right as a consumer. Most companies realize without good POS customer service their businesses will go under (unless they have a monopoly) and action will be taken at one level or another to make sure that snarky cashier takes your CC and ID and sells you the VR like they are supposed to. You shouldnt have to walk into a store and wonder if your going to get the "bad" cashier, you should get the same results from any cashier at any store in the country (unless they allow individual store managers to set policy).
of course none of this matters after the bloggers point out that CVS is the only CC accepting chain and that jan is 5% back on drugstores for certain CC's ...this will soon go the way of office depot.
Your statements are incorrect.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:00 pm

This has been discussed and really is irrelevant to helping out fellow posters. It seems like everyone posting these posts is just venting anger. While I understand your issue (I too would love to be able to buy tons of VRs), I completely disagree with your point.

They are following corporate policy, by not engaging in a transaction they feel uncomfortable. You are absolutely right, they are discriminating. Though, they are discriminating against customers, who they believe might be engaging in a purchase that will not benefit the store!

Last edited by DL172; Dec 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:59 pm

sorry

Originally Posted by DL172
This has been discussed and really is irrelevant to helping out fellow posters. It seems like everyone posting these posts is just venting anger. While I understand your issue (I too would love to be able to buy tons of VRs), I completely disagree with your point.

They are following corporate policy, by not engaging in a transaction they feel uncomfortable. You are absolutely right, they are discriminating. Though, they are discriminating against customers, who they believe might be engaging in a purchase that will not benefit the store!
sorry I disagree, would you walk away from a mcdonalds because you ordered fries and the cashier didn't know which button to push to complete the order? Would you go quietly to another red lobster if the hostess refused to serve you because your overweight? Poor training and/or refusing a sale because they are uncomfortable, or never loaded a card for $500 is not acceptable. If they are uncomfortable making a $1000 sale to a verifiable CC holder for their company, then they don't belong on a cash register. If the policy is to check ID to verify it matches the CC and then sell the customer a VR if it does, then every cashier should do just that.
The point is if you find an untrained or discriminating cashier instead of slinking away to another store like your doing something illegal, find a manager and stand up for yourself.

Last edited by wise2u; Dec 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm Reason: added a thought
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:09 pm

Is ther such a thing as too many VR?

So between all the credit cards that gives me and DH bonuses for getting VR, I can't load all of them on his BB each month (>5k). Any other suggestions to get the fund out of VR? I hesitate to use netspend, got one closure already. Don't want to have a BB acct myself since I have Serv and want to keep it. May use my Amex PP but wondering if there is anything else better than that. PMs are welcome.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
My secretary has a very wise saying: "The biggest problem with stupid people is that they don't know how stupid they are." It's a very Delphic kind of phrase.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by tuscanyx
So between all the credit cards that gives me and DH bonuses for getting VR, I can't load all of them on his BB each month (>5k). Any other suggestions to get the fund out of VR? I hesitate to use netspend, got one closure already. Don't want to have a BB acct myself since I have Serv and want to keep it. May use my Amex PP but wondering if there is anything else better than that. PMs are welcome.
I am also looking for the best alternative for BB to unload VRs. If any suggestion, please PM me too.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:38 pm

If it is intentional discrimination, the store can be sued.
I discriminate -- intentionally -- hundreds of times each day, and so do you. There are no legal consequences, either.

Every time I decide to shop at one store, and not another, I have discriminated. So long as my discrimination is not based on one of the narrow classifications protected by law (race, religion, gender, etc.), there is no legal liability.

If I own a store and refuse to sell to persons wearing flannel shirts, I am well within my legal rights.

If a clerk in a store declines to complete a transaction, for whatever reason (that is not a violation of the narrow classifications mentioned above), there is no point in getting belligerent, or threatening them with a lawsuit.

If you believe that you are legally entitled to complete the transaction, you need to re-examine your legal education ... and your sense of entitlement.

(And, yes, I am licensed to practice law in state and federal courts.)

Last edited by mia; Dec 23, 2012 at 8:18 am Reason: Remove personal characterization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.