Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by prasha11
shopping anything at any store is not a 'privilege" letting any customer walk is loosing the revenue and bad PR, such employees should get warning (cashier/supervisor or manager)... but who cares! cashiering is the easiest job in the world, if the register accepts - take the money, say thank you and please come back again!
Actually, any business can deny anyone service should they decide to do so, so long as they are not discriminating against you for reasons that have been ruled as such. There is not a right to shop.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
many stores proudly post signs "in god we trust, all others cash only" taking a credit card or a prepaid card for an amount that is possibly equal to a months pay for the employee can be seen as a risk to their job, they may be worried that they will be fired if fraudulent activity is under their watch. questoining the employee and threating to call their manager only reinforces their belief that you are up to no good and it may affect their job.
as to the privilage, yes is is a privilage, it can change at any time, buying mint coins was a privilage if it was a right i would still be buying them, the privilage was taken away, rights are just that and cant be taken away
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
many stores proudly post signs "in god we trust, all others cash only" taking a credit card or a prepaid card for an amount that is possibly equal to a months pay for the employee can be seen as a risk to their job, they may be worried that they will be fired if fraudulent activity is under their watch. questoining the employee and threating to call their manager only reinforces their belief that you are up to no good and it may affect their job.
as to the privilage, yes is is a privilage, it can change at any time, buying mint coins was a privilage if it was a right i would still be buying them, the privilage was taken away, rights are just that and cant be taken away
Business don't give 'privileges' they provide goods/services and that's what they get paid for...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:40 pm

Business don't give 'privileges' they provide goods/services and that's what they get paid for...
This is a ridiculous debate. You can call it whatever you want, but the fact is these businesses can choose to sell to you or not sell to you, and can choose whether they accept credit or do not accept credit. If you don't want to call it a privilege, that's fine. Privilege or not, you aren't entitled to buy things from a store on your own terms.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:13 pm

You go into a bar and drink too much, the bar has the right to stop serving you or kick you out. You go into a sporting event and act like a fool, the stadium has the right to kick you out. You go into a CVS and try to buy thousands of dollars worth of VR's and insult a employee when not allowed to do so, they have the right to ask you to leave.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:28 pm

I remember a story when some store called cops on a customer for trying to buy products with coins and when store said no, the customer would not budge ..Apparently he though he had a right to buy at that store
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mshah
I remember a story when some store called cops on a customer for trying to buy products with coins and when store said no, the customer would not budge ..Apparently he though he had a right to buy at that store
Coins are considered legal tender, so AFAIK, you can't refuse to accept coins (if you are accepting cash as a form of payment). The customer doesn't have a "right" to buy at that store though..

Either way, I don't want to feed fuel to the fire anymore.. don't want this thread getting locked again...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar
Coins are considered legal tender, so AFAIK, you can't refuse to accept coins (if you are accepting cash as a form of payment). The customer doesn't have a "right" to buy at that store though..

Either way, I don't want to feed fuel to the fire anymore.. don't want this thread getting locked again...
Coins are legal tender. The point I was trying to make is that business can decide whether they want to do business with you or not !
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:41 pm

Privilege, option, whatever you want to call it. There is no obligation for them to serve you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPFWEBm7Yts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar

Originally Posted by mshah
Coins are legal tender. The point I was trying to make is that business can decide whether they want to do business with you or not !
Businesses do not have to accept coins, even if they accept cash. A business can have a policy of only accepting $2 bills if it so chooses.

Individual states may have laws that alter this, but there is no federal law obligating businesses to accept cash, or to accept all denominations of cash when some denominations are accepted.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sk8uno
Businesses do not have to accept coins, even if they accept cash. A business can have a policy of only accepting $2 bills if it so chooses.

Individual states may have laws that alter this, but there is no federal law obligating businesses to accept cash, or to accept all denominations of cash when some denominations are accepted.
You are correct. I just read through the relevant section of the federal law, and I was misinformed, so thanks for clarifying.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cronin85
What would you call moderation?
I've transferred odd amounts between $500 and $1,500 to my checking account via bb eft.

Recall, they really want you to use bb as your checking account...so in context of a few bill pay items and a few card swipes (small dollar transactions), I think I paint a decent picture.

I have been loading $1k a day for the first five days of each month via VR. That is perhaps aggressive. I may eft in to bb some additional amounts to use to pay a cc bill or two.

Remember, Walmart and Amex have both wanted to be in the checking account business for a long time. This is their foray. I think closures will be few (or nil).
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by taliesin
This is really quite frustrating. How is it that I live in the one place in the country where no one sells these things?
I live in Fairfield County, CT. We don't have office depots. While the cvs trade is working, we missed the 5x party.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
The one cvs store up north had its supervisor refused to sell us the beans. We only wanted to buy 2 each. she says limit is 2, we told her that's fine and we know the limit is 2 per person per card. She than took mine and wife's card with id away made some call to someone, i think the card company and told us you live in same address and therefore you guys can only buy 2 max. I replied yes we live in same address but its our own individual separate card . Goes back and comes after 5 mins . I told her we will just buy 2 now if she can't do 2 each. She says "I AM NOT SELLING YOU THIS". that was very rude . [Moderator Edit] Asked for manager and she says she is the shift manager although she was just a shift supervisor. There was no manager at that time to speak to. so We left empty handed ant bit shocked at how she dealt with us.
Please. Don't make a scene. Apologize for "not knowing the rules" and leave quietly. You're not going to convince the clerk to change their mind...and it may lead to worse for the entire program.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
So True, Even the Evil Blogs have said if you push things it can backfire and get closed accounts. If limit to load to BB is 5k why would you press the limit if you are not doing at least 30% of that on normal spend on the card and doing bill pay and direct deposit. Matters to me to not be in the first group to get canceled.

Same crap applies to people loading WFPP to the max with no regular spend well I won't wave goodbye any more than I wlll to the people with the canceled Netspend and other reloadable debits canceled CUZ they will get ya sooner or later.

Same as POS Blogs touting Debit Cards over and over then nobody listening to the part about only using small amounts and never even close to Max amounts for Money Orders or Drug Store Purchases. Seriously do you think they believe you spend $875 at Walmart or CVS and you won't get everything closed eventually??
Lots of people have high drug store spend. Not everyone has prescription insurance. I suspect the average cvs has a handful of high three, low four digit non-VR purchases daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.