Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by mkarolian
The system prevents you from mailing a check to your own address, but how about to yourself at your work address?

Today I setup a bill pay under my name and used my work mailing address, the system seemed to accept it... but honestly I am not sure I am going to be able to cash the check as it won't have my home address on it.

Thoughts?
It does? I sent my wife a check with no problem.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
In reading the limits for loading debit cards onto BB at wallyworld, it says there is a $100 daily limit, but i asked for $200 and it loaded. Am i reading the limit wrong or is it higher than $100 per day?

Judyjfla
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
In reading the limits for loading debit cards onto BB at wallyworld, it says there is a $100 daily limit, but i asked for $200 and it loaded. Am i reading the limit wrong or is it higher than $100 per day?

Judyjfla
the $100 limit is online with a DC. At WW & in person, it's $1k
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:23 am

Wow- I must have missed this functionality. Where are you seeing that option? Under send money I can only enter an email address.
On the My Account page, to the right of Recent Transactions, Transfer Money.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:53 am

Also,
When you mail a check, it seems to immediately make that amount of money unavailable and deduct it from your balance. Anyone else seen this?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:53 am
Suspended

Also,
When you mail a check, it seems to immediately make that amount of money unavailable and deduct it from your balance. Anyone else seen this?
Yes, as it should.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by kjmj
On the My Account page, to the right of Recent Transactions, Transfer Money.
When I go there it looks like I can only move from my checking account to bluebird, not the other way around...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Anyone find any beans in the Apple that's really really big? I'm only seeing the black my vanilla cards now..
Cheers
Howie
Plenty of black beans. The refried beans are scarce in cider city.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: all
Wow- I must have missed this functionality. Where are you seeing that option? Under send money I can only enter an email address.

u see ..how much u can learn on these forums. ) You can set it up on the my account page and link a bank to it. It will test it with 2 micro deposits and then you are ready to go
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: all
When I go there it looks like I can only move from my checking account to bluebird, not the other way around...
You need to link a bank account (for money transfers) before you move the money. It is not instant. It will take a few days to confirm and set up.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Went to my fav CVS in socal today but they were out of vanilla reload cards, went to the back up place they had 4, i bought two with CC no porblem, cashier thanking me for using credit as she would not want to count out 1007.9 in cash
Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:10 pm

On Tuesday, I bought 2 VR cards at my Walgreen's (location no. 1), but it took some fast talking to get them to run my credit card for the cards. (It worked only if it was run as two transactions.)

Today, I visited another Walgreen's location, but the cash register screen announced "Cash Only for this Item."

So I went back to location no. 1, and the manager said credit cards weren't allowed and the limit was $500. I mentioned that I bought 2 cards on Tuesday, using my CC, he said "someone is going to get in trouble for that."

He sold me one card, using my CC, and I left.

I will try a different location next week.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
So I went back to location no. 1, and the manager said credit cards weren't allowed and the limit was $500. I mentioned that I bought 2 cards on Tuesday, using my CC, he said "someone is going to get in trouble for that."
Great. Now 1) some poor cashier who helped you will get in trouble, and 2) everyone at that location will have it drummed into them to never, ever take credit cards. You've just caused one of the few outlets for these to be shut down.

"Pushing it" like that is how this ends.

Last edited by nwflyboy; Dec 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:38 pm

Prior to my visit: Manager was telling customers that credit card purchases were not allowed.

After my visit: Manager was telling customers that credit card purchasers were OK.

That appears to be a positive outcome. Access has been expanded.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:01 pm

so, the basic gist is, assuming you find a place that lets you buy a bean card with a CC, you're getting 500 points(of whatever cc you use, more if drugstore purchases are bonus category) for $3.95.

Seems useful for initial spends, and if you can somehow get bonus categories, but for normal points it's not so much, except maybe to pay for things previously off limits(rent/mortgage, etc) for a small fee. We're looking at $79 for 10k points, which while nothing to scoff at, isn't that valuable on the face. You'd end up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $275 to get enough points for your usual domestic redemption.

Guess the key is to find bonus categories, passthroughs(buying "gift" debit cards at a bonus category store), etc. Not for the faint of heart, eh?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.