Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I've paid several bills with Bluebird; each payee has been in the system. My wife and I would like to make tax-deductible church charitable contributions using Bluebird's bill payment, which will require us to enter the church's address and such. As far as I can figure, this shouldn't be any issue, but I just want to make sure: I'm not missing anything that could potentially make this a problem, am I?
I've given to my church via bluebird. The will send a paper check. Took about 4 days.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by skiwindham
Money laundering is a scheme to hide ill-gotten money.
If you're buying VR with cash, then I can see a potential money-laundering issue when buying in size. You're then recycling, and hiding, any illegally gained money.

But how is money laundering a concern when buying with a credit card? No cash is used and there's a clear paper trail. There's nothing being concealed.

What am I missing?
You're not missing anything. Money laundering involves the use of CASH, not CREDIT CARDS.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:36 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deant
Did you go online and check the balance on the Amex card to make sure that the load went through? Some stores say it can take an hour or two to actually load.
Hmm. That could be it. The balance showed online, but maybe it wasn't actually loaded? That was/is my hope
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by webazoid
My insurance company wasn't listed so I did a manual entry. Check will have ur address on it. Write your account number in the memo section. Call to have them mail you copy of check when cAshed.
As has been reported earlier in this thread, the "memo" section of the check is always left blank on the actual paper checks that get sent out. Just put your account number in the space labeled "account number" when setting up the payees. That space appears in the "Pay Bills" section regardless of whether or not your company is listed. You should never use the "Send Money" section to pay bills because there is no dedicated account number space.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by skiwindham
Money laundering is a scheme to hide ill-gotten money.
If you're buying VR with cash, then I can see a potential money-laundering issue when buying in size. You're then recycling, and hiding, any illegally gained money.

But how is money laundering a concern when buying with a credit card? No cash is used and there's a clear paper trail. There's nothing being concealed.

What am I missing?
Its the store mgr, its loss prevention manager, the risk department and or compliance all might THINK you are up to something fishy and once they THINK this you could make a list. Once you do, its hard to get back to that place you were in before. Its not what is.... Its what is perceived. Sadly

Edit add

And they could ask you where you get the money you use for all this or how you pay off those cards. Whats your income, what do hou do with the gcs you buy? Etc etc

How much of this will you tell them?

Last edited by Marathon Man; Dec 7, 2012 at 8:30 pm
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:40 pm
Suspended

transferred money from bluebird to my boa checking. BB says its complete BoA says they never got it. Anybody deal with this? BB customer service says talk with BoA the money was "successfully" transferred. BoA says nope we got nothing. Stuck...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
transferred money from bluebird to my boa checking. BB says its complete BoA says they never got it. Anybody deal with this? BB customer service says talk with BoA the money was "successfully" transferred. BoA says nope we got nothing. Stuck...
sometimes takes 5 days for money to magically appear....
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:47 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
in the same boat... first one went through but this second one i didnt get the money... its only been 4 days so im gonna wait... i know if i call now they will say call back later anyways
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by member7777
sometimes takes 5 days for money to magically appear....
This.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:52 pm

I can concur. When bluebird says ACH to a bank it complete it usually takes another 1-3 days to actually show up in your bank account. At least it does show up...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

today is day 5, they said there is a glitch and it should be there on monday.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by newlifeca
I've given to my church via bluebird. The will send a paper check. Took about 4 days.
Yes, I paid my child's school fee via BB check, no problem. You will have to call your church to confirm that they received the check. As far as I can tell, the BB site doesn't tell you when the check is received or cleared.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:09 pm

Bluebird Customer Service Hold Times?

Anyone having problems getting a hold of reps at BB? One phone line is giving me a recording after I get through the prompts and it's telling me that the service is SO successful that they can't take any more calls because of the demand, and then it hangs up. The other number I've called just doesn't get answered. I was on hold for 15 minutes this morning before I hung up, without ever talking to a rep. Any specific phone numbers working for you all?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chokichoki
Yep, It was & yes I had them swipe the card twice & it still didn't go through
Were you able to buy using another card after the SPG did not go thru?

If so, the SPG Card is blocked. Call to find out if it has triggered a fraud alert and the card being blocked. You should also receive both a phone message and an email message asking you to call to verify (attempted) transactions if your card is blocked.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BTA
Here's my experience today:

I bought one VR with Amex GC with no issues at CVS.

Got a new Amex GC and went to another store with VR and got "alternate payment method" error. They tried multiple times. Then went back to the original store where I had success, and got same error.

Is the Amex card 'too new'? The original successful purchase was one I bought a few days ago.
It takes at least an hour or two before a newly purchased AMEX GC becomes activated. This is a built in mechanism to prevent fraud.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.