Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by srittle001
Anyone been successful using BB to pay down your Amex bill if you used your Amex to buy the cards to get 6 Hilton points per dollar spent? I have been successful paying my mgt, car pmt, and other credit cards but didn't know if paying down the Amex was getting too circular?
You might get into trouble buying VR with AMEX, loading BB, then using the money on pay off the AMEX. Might look like money laundering.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UpstatePoints
You might get into trouble buying VR with AMEX, loading BB, then using the money on pay off the AMEX. Might look like money laundering.
Yes, because every VR is embedded with an RFID chip that encodes your Amex card number upon purchase. When you put the card within proximity to your PC to load it to a card, Amex is able to determine exactly when and were it's loaded and will use this data to cross reference you purchase history while at the same time alerting DHS and the Treasury to potential laundering activites.

Just because you can't see or hear the black choppers, it doesn't mean they aren't over your home right now.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Yes, because every VR is embedded with an RFID chip that encodes your Amex card number upon purchase. When you put the card within proximity to your PC to load it to a card, Amex is able to determine exactly when and were it's loaded and will use this data to cross reference you purchase history while at the same time alerting DHS and the Treasury to potential laundering activites.

Just because you can't see or hear the black choppers, it doesn't mean they aren't over your home right now.
Is Santa or his elves telling you which OD has VR also?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by deant
Is Santa or his elves telling you which OD has VR also?
Rudolph. I'm the deer whisperer.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by srittle001
Anyone been successful using BB to pay down your Amex bill if you used your Amex to buy the cards to get 6 Hilton points per dollar spent? I have been successful paying my mgt, car pmt, and other credit cards but didn't know if paying down the Amex was getting too circular?
Unless you have no other option, keep using BB to pay other bills besides your Amex CC bill. No upside in paying Amex CC with it, only downside.

I'd rather do an EFT transfer to my bank than pay my Amex card with BB.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:43 pm

Well I had a good day today. Went to CVS and found signs that said $5 ECB when you buy 2 visa gift cards. I asked one of the cashiers if the vanilla cards counted and she said yes. So, then I asked and showed her if the vanilla reload cards would work and she said yes. Cool! I bought two cards that were $500 each and the 7.98 in fees. The ECB didn't print out but she didn't say anything and proceeded to ring up $10 ECB for me since she was wrong!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sarrisa
Went to CVS and found signs that said $5 ECB when you buy 2 visa gift cards.
Are people really using their Extracare cards so CVS can track how many beans you buy across all your cards?

Seems... foolishly greedy.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Are people really using their Extracare cards so CVS can track how many beans you buy across all your cards?

I only used it this time since they were giving me ECB for it. Otherwise why bother. And, it's only one promotion per Extracare card.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by poptarts
Thanks, now I have to find a new hiding place.
I'll be searching behind the poptarts
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:56 pm

There's no point - ExtraCare doesn't credit you for VR purchases.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by FrequentDreamer
WHY I OUGGA!!!!!
What I meant to say is...ahem...won't some nice, charming, ICE Cream Hoarder (I'm calling the show, really) share with a poor sad low miles wannabe?.......
All right, all right, if you come to SNA, I will sell you a few that I have picked up on the black market, but first we go to In-n-Out Burger, then ice cream.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
In fact if you come to SNA I will take you to a special spot that has VR available that you can buy but...............
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JW008
This happened with me (sent rent check, apartment complex never received), but my experience was much better. I called about a week after the check was supposed to be received. Luckily, I'd sent it earlier than required and had some wiggle room.

They originally told me it would be 4-8 weeks before an investigation was completed, but I asked them if they could expedite that and they did. After an investigation (which, at least, partly consisted of them calling my apartment complex), I had the money back about four days after my original call. (Called on a Thursday, money credited back on Monday)

I spoke to Kinesha who was very helpful. I've found you can call and request her.
I have had two problems with paper checks now. One that was supposed to be received on 11/16 (requested on 11/10) wasn't applied to my insurance account until 11/27. Another one that was supposed to have arrived on 11/23 still hasn't arrived yet. I called to complain and the agent initiated an investigation. I got an email from BB that the investigation would be completed within 10 days, but I haven't heard anything yet. Needless to say, I won't be sending anymore paper checks with this service.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite

It's not foolishly greedy. It's just plain stupid. You cannot and will not earn Extra Care Bucks on the purchase of gift or prepaid cards (including VR), unless there is a special promo (like the 2 Visa GC one). It's in the terms and conditions (plus I tried it once as a test only).
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton

But the signal sent out by a RFID tag is easily blocked by metal. So keeping the RFID tagged VR inside of a Faraday cage will prevent the information from being read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.