Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
Saw another person walking out of CVS this afternoon with a handful of VRs, of course went in and the VR rack was empty. Oh wells, I guess I need to take an earlier lunch now.
That's always really disheartening. I saw the exact same thing happen at OD the night before the cards got pulled from OD.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Well, I don't need to create a panic, but I did experience some disconcerting situations at CVS stores today.

1) According to their inventory system, the Sunnyvale CVS apparently had 10 beans. I drove down there, and nope, no visible beans. The two staffers that were helping me had never seen anything other than the Vanilla Visas. They said, whoa, the El Monte store has *250* in stock, though, you should check that out!
Just wondering, how were you able to check the inventory? I can't figure a way to do it on the CVS website.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by UpstatePoints
I remember reading in the past that some people are hiding VRs in the store like squirrels for the winter. They are worried about the store running out of VRs, so the hide a bunch behind the Cheerios. Maybe that's why the inventories reads plenty in stock, but none on the shelves.
I just hide it behind the non-alcoholic beer. No worries about anyone looking on that shelf.

Mike
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:21 pm

I just found out that the Rite pharmacy sells the dots on credit in the SEA area. I was not so sure because I tried at WG and they were dead set against the CC purchase. I took the card to the register and asked the CSR if I could pay for this with a credit card. He looked it over (luckily did not see the part about cash only) and then went and asked another CSR and he said sure. So I did a $500 test purchase. I will go back and see if they will do $1000 either Sat or Sun. This put me back in the game for a while I hope.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
Talking VR run vs Mileage Run!

Originally Posted by particlemn
Well here south of the border they are plentiful, you could catch JetBlue oak-lgb swing by pick some up and head home same day, heck we even have a tommys burger so you can get a treat too, when I lived in NorCal I did more than one SoCal Tommy's run
You know, I think you might be on to something! I owe a friend a visit anyway...wonder if they have em in SD?

Weekend party here we come!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:51 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Kansas City

I haven't bought any VR since mid-November and some of the posts here had me curious what I'd find.

My local CVS (Kansas City) still had them and still took credit cards.

Another close-by CVS didn't have any back in November but is now in stock and also took a credit card.

Many have noted that VR are easier to find in more marginal neighborhoods. In my case, one is in a wealthy neighborhood and one mid-range, so no apparent socioeconomic difference.

All's well for now here
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
Originally Posted by DCBob
Yes, but I take cash only and there will be a $4.95 "convenience" fee.
Damn. I was hoping for a 10x category bonus for money laundering!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:00 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
It was like Christmas came early for me today! Went to check out a CVS to see if I could purchase some VR's with a credit card and sure enough it wasn't a problem... then as I'm leaving I see a Walgreens across the street... I figure sure.. why not... and what do you know they have VR's and accepted a credit card as well! Hello minimum spend. Done and done in about 5 minutes span!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
It was like Christmas came early for me today! Went to check out a CVS to see if I could purchase some VR's with a credit card and sure enough it wasn't a problem... then as I'm leaving I see a Walgreens across the street... I figure sure.. why not... and what do you know they have VR's and accepted a credit card as well! Hello minimum spend. Done and done in about 5 minutes span!
If only it were always that easy!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by FrequentDreamer

You know, I think you might be on to something! I owe a friend a visit anyway...wonder if they have em in SD?

Weekend party here we come!
No, sorry, none in SD or Orange County. They have been banned for years; you know, local municipal ordinance and all. Try Kansas City or DC!!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
*shrug*...all the CVS's i'm going to allow me to use Amex GC's, so i'm not too worried about the total. I did have a store show me that they can only do 2 bean loads at a time. Maybe i'll run into something with Amex on the gift card thing, since i'm buying a ton, we'll see.
Are you using the ones you buy from AMEX through Big Crumbs, or the ones you buy in a store?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:15 pm

OD calling the Card Issuer to confirm address

I stopped at an OD in MD tonight on my way home from work to pick up 2 $500 visa gift cards at the register they took my Ink card and ID then called a number for what I assume was Chase to confirm the billing address was the same as my ID address. It was my first time at the OD, but added about 15 minutes to the process. Others haven't done that.

The other troubling thing was my local Cee vee see is running low on beans. I'm hoping they restock soon. I need to load up early this month.

Has anyone else encountered this at OD? I like the security just wish it didn't take so long.

Oh and the other thing was they had a lot of AMEX reloadables, but the cards didn't specify if they could be loaded to Bluebird and my quick research led me to believe they were more like Serve reloads. I haven't seen anything in this thread about that other than a reference to OD adding an AMEX reloadable to replace the beans option.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jkr4040
I stopped at an OD in MD tonight on my way home from work to pick up 2 $500 visa gift cards at the register they took my Ink card and ID then called a number for what I assume was Chase to confirm the billing address was the same as my ID address. It was my first time at the OD, but added about 15 minutes to the process. Others haven't done that.
Ya, I'm not sure who they call. Some stores cashiers have been doing that for a couple months at least.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Living the dream... congrats.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Went to a San Jose CVS and talked to a manager. As per her, they are putting weekly orders for the VR but the warehouse is always empty..
I guess all the Southern stores are getting it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.