Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Dec 5, 12, 8:11 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
gardengirl, please check your personal messages. Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 12, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by kparikh View Post
Just went to three locations over lunch and each of the locations had someone from corporate re-arrange the giftcard rack (the group was called cpm). The store locations have been in the Philadelphia/Wilmington DE area. I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this and if CVS is going the route of Office Depot.
I saw the rearrangements you were talking about.

I recently found a "go-to" CVS that accepts cc, and it used to have 3 rows of VR. However, today that entire section was populated by Vanilla Visas (probably 6 rows) and Greendot prepaid cards (10+ rows). The VRs were consolidated into 1 pitiful row. I don't know what will happen when the few remaining VRs run out.
Old Dec 5, 12, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Well I had my closest one where the cashier told me "cash only", I left bc I need to shop at that one anyway. Went out to a couple of others and no issues with beans at other stores. Seems to be doing alright still, I'll just have to avoid that cashier now .
Old Dec 5, 12, 10:23 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
My mortgage guy is starting to put my file together for another refi. 2.99% for 15 year, no closing costs (yeah, really). I told him this would be the last time we do this
Old Dec 5, 12, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
My mortgage guy is starting to put my file together for another refi. 2.99% for 15 year, no closing costs (yeah, really). I told him this would be the last time we do this
Closing on my 3.125% 30 year in a couple days. I strongly considered the 15 year, but the cash flow flexibility for the next few years was more important to me. Not to mention I hope to make more than 2-3% on my cash. I might throw a little extra towards principal while VR->BB is still viable.
Old Dec 5, 12, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
What's the deal here? I might consider purchasing a house if I am getting couple hundred thousands UA miles.
Old Dec 5, 12, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FrequentDreamer View Post
Will you pay my rent from YOUR BB account then?
Yes, but I take cash only and there will be a $4.95 "convenience" fee.
Old Dec 6, 12, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver, HHonors & SPG Gold
Really doubt that $503.95 would be an issue. At some point their systems are more sophisticated than that but more importantly they know that rarely anyone spends $500+ at CVS. Whether it is $503.95 or $507.99 if they wanted to they would know exactly what you are up to.

I just buy 2 every time and to date haven't had an issue. Cumulative have bought close to 30 approx over the past few months

Originally Posted by UpstatePoints View Post
Just purchased VR at a CVS in upstate NY (half hour north of Albany). The rack had at least 10 VR cards. Cashier rung it it for $500 without any questions. I didn't have to show ID or have managers approval. I will try out some other CVSs in the area during my travels. I also purchased with some shaving cream to avoid a $503.95 total.

PM if local and not finding any.
Old Dec 6, 12, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by filelover View Post
Really doubt that $503.95 would be an issue. At some point their systems are more sophisticated than that but more importantly they know that rarely anyone spends $500+ at CVS. Whether it is $503.95 or $507.99 if they wanted to they would know exactly what you are up to.

I just buy 2 every time and to date haven't had an issue. Cumulative have bought close to 30 approx over the past few months
+1. It's silly to think that a purchase of exactly $503.95 is going to trigger anything. CVS knows exactly how many prepaid cards they sell and which ones are paid for by CC versus cash. CVS continues to allow VR cards to be purchased by CC, even though they lose money on every purchase of a $500 VR by CC because it brings other very profitable business into their stores. WG apparently thinks otherwise and does not want to lose any money on VR sales. It's just that simple.
Old Dec 6, 12, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCBob View Post
+1. It's silly to think that a purchase of exactly $503.95 is going to trigger anything. CVS knows exactly how many prepaid cards they sell and which ones are paid for by CC versus cash. CVS continues to allow VR cards to be purchased by CC, even though they lose money on every purchase of a $500 VR by CC because it brings other very profitable business into their stores. WG apparently thinks otherwise and does not want to lose any money on VR sales. It's just that simple.
You miss the point. It has nothing to do with CVS but 100% to do with your card issuers - the T&Cs specifically said eligible purchases do not include Cash Advance, Cash Equivalent, blah blah blah. The VR et al, are termed "Cash Equivalent Cards" hence they charge a fee because these cards can be used just like cash EVERYWHERE versus store gift cards that can only used at the stores.

Banks DONT like people buying Cash Equivalent using CC - it is considered a high risk, and also considered a possible fraud.

That said, I do agree about the poster's point whether it is $503.95 or $516.95 or whatever - spending that type of money at a drugstore, in a high frequency, is NOT an ordinary spending pattern that can easily detect by the system should the banks want to.
Old Dec 6, 12, 12:52 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by filelover View Post
Really doubt that $503.95 would be an issue. At some point their systems are more sophisticated than that but more importantly they know that rarely anyone spends $500+ at CVS.
Is this really true? Certainly *I* don't spend that much, but they are a pharmacy, and a lot of drugs are really expensive.
Old Dec 6, 12, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
Is this really true? Certainly *I* don't spend that much, but they are a pharmacy, and a lot of drugs are really expensive.
You would need to be very sick to spend $5K in CVS each month.
Old Dec 6, 12, 1:20 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Well, I don't need to create a panic, but I did experience some disconcerting situations at CVS stores today.

1) According to their inventory system, the Sunnyvale CVS apparently had 10 beans. I drove down there, and nope, no visible beans. The two staffers that were helping me had never seen anything other than the Vanilla Visas. They said, whoa, the El Monte store has *250* in stock, though, you should check that out!

2) It was on my way, so I stopped by the El Monte store. You guessed it. There were no beans. Instead, there were a whole bunch of MyVanilla cards that I hadn't seen displayed before.

More worrisome, though, was that one of the staffers told me that she recently received a memo to remove and not restock any more of a certain type of prepaid card, but she (seemingly genuinely) couldn't remember what the card was.

Of equal concern, was that the inventory system (which she showed me the screen of) insisted that many area stores -- including another CVS I just visited -- apparently now had beans in stock.

So either their inventory system is *really* screwy, or something funny is going on with beans at N. CA CVS stores :\

ObNonBean note: I paid $500 towards my student loan with my BB card, and it was credited with no issues
Old Dec 6, 12, 2:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by keirnna View Post
I went to an Office Depot last night in North Carolina who still had a ton of VR on the shelf. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, their POS system is hard coded against the sale.
Sad.
Old Dec 6, 12, 2:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
$500+ is an outlier, but indeed not extreme, at a drugstore.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: