Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Dec 5, 12, 3:24 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by kparikh View Post
All vanilla reload cards are being removed. The only thing I see there are moneypak cards and the debit cards from various different credit agencies.
Not true in the couple of states I have bought them in recently. In fact between Monday and today a Walgreens I visited had more Vanilla Reloads stocked on the gift card rack.

I have found Vanilla Reload cards at Office Depot in two states now, two different stores, but the registers prohibit their purchase.
Old Dec 5, 12, 5:01 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by tys90 View Post
Drying up may be the wrong term. There is tons of availability but it's the change from non-hardcoded registers to hardcoded cash only registers for 2 different stores. I understand the other variations and will continue to visit those stores.
Did you actually see a change in this register at this store? That is, previously, you were able to buy with a credit card at this register in this store, but now the same register is hard-coded to block CC sales? If so, then that would be somewhat concerning (although it could easily be just that store - we see reports of others not having that problem).

I'm probably going out to try and buy one or two tomorrow. Last one I got was 2 days ago.
Old Dec 5, 12, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
I just got back from my lunch break stop at cvs, the rack was full, bought two, and they thanked me for my bussiness
^^^
Old Dec 5, 12, 5:26 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by aegt123 View Post
^^^
Last 2 times I was successful in buying VRs with a credit card, they printed out a $25 discount coupon for a Green Dot prepaid card and gave it to me with the receipt. One cashier even tried to apply that coupon retroactively to the VR card I just purchased (of course, that didn't work, but I thanked him for the effort). They seemed genuinely appreciative of my business.
Old Dec 5, 12, 6:48 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
Angry Bay Area is DRY DRY DRY

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy View Post
Okay, I sincerely apologize if I'm thrashing a dead horse that was already killed on page 42 of this thread (I've actually read the last 5 pages or so...), but... can some kind soul suggest how I can actually find these darn VR cards in the San Francisco Bay Area?!?
I'm surprised you found any AT ALL! Dead horse maybe but we're all looking :-( I think there are some in the nether world like Clayton or Pittsburg, but since I don't wanna get SHOT getting my VR I might just skip it.

Perhaps, JUST perhaps they are rolling in a new version. The hints of what they are doing in SoCal at CVS seem promising but I won't hold out for them.

Originally Posted by DCBob View Post
I suggest you move to Washington, DC. CVS has 300 stores in the area and boatloads of VR cards here.
Will you pay my rent from YOUR BB account then?
Old Dec 5, 12, 6:50 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
I just got back from my lunch break stop at cvs, the rack was full, bought two, and they thanked me for my bussiness
So it's one of two things.

1. It's regional manager's decision and those of us north of the border (NorCal) are SOL

2. They are rolling them in to CVS slowly and we can sit at the doors and cry OPEN OPEN OPEN!!!! a la a Mervyn's commercial.

I HOPE for 2 but...well.
Sad panda...missing miles for bill pay. Sniff.
Old Dec 5, 12, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT
Tried two of the Cpharmacy in Manhattan and neither have VR but they did have the black MYvanilla cards.
Cheers
Howie
Old Dec 5, 12, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Plenty of VR cards in Southern California. As far as I know, all will accept CC but none will accept GC.
Old Dec 5, 12, 7:02 pm

Just purchased VR at a CVS in upstate NY (half hour north of Albany). The rack had at least 10 VR cards. Cashier rung it it for $500 without any questions. I didn't have to show ID or have managers approval. I will try out some other CVSs in the area during my travels. I also purchased with some shaving cream to avoid a $503.95 total.

PM if local and not finding any.
Old Dec 5, 12, 7:21 pm

As much as I want to avoid telltale totals, it pains me to not use drugstore.com and get 6x hilton points and 7 UR points per dollar (their current bonus). Usually, to avoid the unfortunate 3.95 end digits, its a candy bar or two rather than a real drug store purchase.
Old Dec 5, 12, 7:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Data point: proper VRs finally came into my local CVS in Northern VA.

Bought one on credit card, clerk checked my ID, activited VR, smooth purchase.

Clerk did state that they have had a few "problems" with activation, and to come back to the store if I had any issues. VR loaded fine.
Old Dec 5, 12, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Deleted, duplicate, sorry!
Old Dec 5, 12, 7:49 pm

I just came back from the local wg and the new rule is one vanila/24 h. Of course, it is ymmv depending on the cashier.
I got a catalina/coupon for $4.9 off a green dot re loadable prepaid visa. How can I take advantage of the no fee? TIA
Old Dec 5, 12, 8:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FrequentDreamer View Post
So it's one of two things.

1. It's regional manager's decision and those of us north of the border (NorCal) are SOL

2. They are rolling them in to CVS slowly and we can sit at the doors and cry OPEN OPEN OPEN!!!! a la a Mervyn's commercial.

I HOPE for 2 but...well.
Sad panda...missing miles for bill pay. Sniff.
Well here south of the border they are plentiful, you could catch JetBlue oak-lgb swing by pick some up and head home same day, heck we even have a tommys burger so you can get a treat too, when I lived in NorCal I did more than one SoCal Tommy's run
Old Dec 5, 12, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott PLT
This is not a datapoint of which 7-11 in SEA has VR or CVS in San Francisco. Nor is it a discussion with photos of the classy people at Walmart. It won't tell you how fast your check will arrive or what to do when it doesn't arrive at all. It won't calculate the value of time spent on playing the game. No Hitler video. No blast of bloggers. Not a problem with PayPal. Not an AmEx FR.
Not HH math 101. Not the best person to speak to in Manila. And it definitely won't include those silly secret codes that are protecting everything from the world of google. So you might as well move along and stop reading

It's about mortgages In a very roundabout way Ink and BB have saved us over $1K a month. After the earlier posts about the good and bad of paying off a mortgage vs. investing we talked again with the bank for comparisons. Looked at our 10 year (3.75%) vs. 30 year (3.5%) and then the 15 year (3%). The 15 year won. Of course the 30 year was a lower payment but interest > principal. 15 year was <$700 month more but principal > interest. Bank is paying closing costs.

So for many of you this post isn't at all interesting. I told you not to read it. Others might find it an amusing digression the same way I did while trying to decide if Stoughton is still drinking.

TheBOSman. . .please don't come to the CVS and OD in Michigan. They are working just fine thank you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: