Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
As can I - up to 40 hours but beyond that, $0

People often talk about the 'value' of their time. Unless you're forgoing the opportunity to actually work and get paid for it, you're time is worth $0. I get paid a fixed salary and I'm not going to take a 2nd job, so the time I spend outside of work playing this game is essentialy worth nothing (in fiscal terms). Everything I "earn" while doing this becomes the monitary value of that time.
Actually, I have moonlighting opportunities that pay pretty well. Very well, actually, but I hate doing it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Actually, I have moonlighting opportunities that pay pretty well. Very well, actually, but I hate doing it.
Then in your case, there really is a time value to consider. In mine, it's hunt miles or lay on the sofa, reading and drinking beer. Clearly, 1 pays better than the other
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by SpongyBard
Has anyone encountered a problem where the Vanilla reload site reports "Card Not Found (4006)" for your Bluebird card?
I had a 90 minute call with BlueBird this morning about my Vanilla issue. Yes, 90 minutes long after first getting a CSR. (at least only a 10 minute initial hold time)

I have to give her credit, very nice and clearly wanted to help. Very much opposite to some of the horror stories of BB support I’ve heard. But she seemed rather powerless on getting anything done.. I doubt that’s her fault because I’m sure this is a technical issue way outside of a CSR’s scope.
I was on hold a couple of times while she talked to higher-up technical support but I never got a chance to talk to whoever that was so I’m not really sure what that entailed.

Had two separate 3-way calls with InComm with both CSRs saying “Looks good here! Must be on your side!”

Ended up getting a trouble ticket entered in BlueBird’s system where I’ll hear back in 3 to 5 days. We’ll see.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
I make my living being skeptical about systems like this, and I am quite unimpressed with the vanilla reload system. It certainly helps that attacks have to be online (i.e. you must interact with their system to make an attempt), but with the sophistication of modern hackers this is not an enormous impediment. It is incredibly simple to accumulate many "identities" (reloadable card numbers, IP addresses, etc) and mount a variety of distributed attacks on their system.

The only saving grace is that such an effort would likely not be worth it relative to other low hanging fruit, as I doubt there is really all that much to be harvested in outstanding VR cards at any given moment. Still, I wouldn't trust this system with my money for longer than a few hours or maybe days...just IMHO.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:54 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Hackers can have hundreds of computers (real or virtual) running the program. Saying it would take 3,000 days is an understatement... it would probably take a few days, tops, if any semi-experienced hacker hit this.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:16 pm

Then in your case, there really is a time value to consider. In mine, it's hunt miles or lay on the sofa, reading and drinking beer. Clearly, 1 pays better than the other
For all you number crunchers, should we deduct the savings from NOT drinking beer, wear and tear on the sofa, and electricity savings, if you are out there buying VRs? That may offset some gas and opportunity costs...

Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
For all you number crunchers, should we deduct the savings from NOT drinking beer, wear and tear on the sofa, and electricity savings, if you are out there buying VRs? That may offset some gas and opportunity costs...

Who said I wasn't still drinking?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by chernomorez
Found a few in Downtown X-ing. WG on Harvard has them but cash only. Several $1 stores in the area had VR dummies on the display, but cashiers had no idea where to find the actual cards.
Interesting. Have been to the 3-4 CVSs within walking distance of DX and have been unable to find them.

Mike
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver

one of the best things about vanilla relaod cards at cvs is that they also sell beer, before this cvs bonanza i would have to goto office depot to by vanilla cards then waste a lot of gas driving to a cvs to buy beer, now i can do it in one stop, and i no longer have to worry about 1007.90 showing up as a bill amount when i add beer to the order, remember everything is better with beer(stolen from the butter people without permission)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by poptarts
My new HHonors AmEx card states in the T&Cs that purchases of "reloading of prepaid cards" or "cash equivalents" are NOT eligible purchases and will not earn points. I guess that kicks me out of the bb game.
Are you serious? I have been buying VR using HHonors Amex to meet minimum spend. I already got 40,000 points after $750 spend (two VR cards). Hope Amex doesn't find out
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Achilles
Are you serious? I have been buying VR using HHonors Amex to meet minimum spend. I already got 40,000 points after $750 spend (two VR cards). Hope Amex doesn't find out
It just might not count for the 6 points per $ spent...it will still count as spend.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
It just might not count for the 6 points per $ spent...it will still count as spend.
It does
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:05 pm

None of them
In that case, CVS (or whatever VR seller) has to accept ordinary gift cards (Amex, MC, Visa) for VR purchases.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
Why go through paypal at all when you can purchase VR with CC and then load onto BB?
For those folks their areas dont have VR or unable to buy VR with CC. This is still a way to help meet spend.

Read the poster's post you quoted more carefully.

CVS #1 - did not take credit card for Vanilla reloads. Did not try Paypal reloads.
CVS #2 - Success in buying Paypal reload with CC. They did not have Vanilla reloads for me to try.
CVS #3 - Same story as CVS #2
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As can I - up to 40 hours but beyond that, $0

People often talk about the 'value' of their time. Unless you're forgoing the opportunity to actually work and get paid for it, you're time is worth $0. I get paid a fixed salary and I'm not going to take a 2nd job, so the time I spend outside of work playing this game is essentialy worth nothing (in fiscal terms). Everything I "earn" while doing this becomes the monitary value of that time.
Excellent point.

Those who keep talking about how much $ their hours worth, completely ignore a fact that they are NOT paid for every hour beyond what they normally put in their regular jobs UNLESS they are paid for BILLABLE hours. Even so, they are not working all the time. They still watch TV, eat out or whathaveyou. Basically this is just the time for hobby - whether you play golf or scouting CVS - it is a hobby and cannot be measured by their regular job's "pay rate". This just happens to be a hobby that can generate monetary value versus some other hobbies that burns monetary value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.