Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I could do this. What are the total transaction fees and how much does it cost per point/mile?
Not sure if you really want to go this route...

- MoneyPak for Paypal reload card fee is $4.95 (could load max of $500)
- Could only load $100/per day to BlueBird and maximum loadable per month is $1000
- Each debit card loading transaction costs $2

Assuming you load the maximum $1000 per month via Paypal debit card, you need to buy 2 MoneyPak cards with $500 each, the total fee is $9.90. You need to load 10 times ($100 each time) and the total loading fee is $20. Total fee is $29.90 per month.

Therefore, each year you spend $358.80 ($29.90 * 12) to get 12120 points (505 * 2 * 12 -- I rounded 504.95 to 505), and it translates to $0.0296 per point...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by summerdayshopping
Not sure if you really want to go this route...

- MoneyPak for Paypal reload card fee is $4.95 (could load max of $500)
- Could only load $100/per day to BlueBird and maximum loadable per month is $1000
- Each debit card loading transaction costs $2

Assuming you load the maximum $1000 per month via Paypal debit card, you need to buy 2 MoneyPak cards with $500 each, the total fee is $9.90. You need to load 10 times ($100 each time) and the total loading fee is $20. Total fee is $29.90 per month.

Therefore, each year you spend $358.80 ($29.90 * 12) to get 12120 points (505 * 2 * 12 -- I rounded 504.95 to 505), and it translates to $0.0296 per point...
Or take the Paypal Debit card to a WM and - assuming it has a PIN number - load at the cash register and avoid all the loading-related fees you reference.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
I have been looking for getting beans with CC in south/east bay since they got removed from OD, no luck so far.
No VRs in the East Bay that I can find. CVS just have blank rows where they "should" be. Been that way for months...maybe one day...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by frozyn
Or take the Paypal Debit card to a WM and - assuming it has a PIN number - load at the cash register and avoid all the loading-related fees you reference.

From reading all the threads, this is what I thought as well (but have not tried it personally).
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by DrSifu
Buy other reload cards. Fund your Paypal acct with them. Get a Paypal debit card and then use it to fund your Bluebird
The problem a lot of others is having I that we can't buy any other reload card with cc. Cash only.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
Chase freedom has 5X at drugstores starting jan 1 for the first 1500 spend in the quarter, hopefully CVS is still selling these things come 2013, it will be like a mini OD revival
Yesterday at a CVS I was unable to purchase with Freedom. First time I had tried that card as too many Hilton Amex charges. Plenty of credit on the card. Than handed over Saphire and no problem.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
Yes, SF Bay Area

Originally Posted by Bucko
I've been to 3 of the same convenience stores in Oakland looking for beans and have found empty racks at all 3. At one store I saw where they *should* be, but there were none there. At the other 2 stores, I didn't see where, if they carried them, they would be.
Originally Posted by womanofaction
I've been on the same hunt. Nothing!!
Originally Posted by farwest101
No VRs in the East Bay that I can find. CVS just have blank rows where they "should" be. Been that way for months...maybe one day...
That has been my experience as well...
Sigh I think we might be SOL. Gift cards for EVERYTHING this holiday!

Last edited by FrequentDreamer; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:16 pm Reason: forgot a thought
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:18 pm

While CVS works in my area, have been unable to get any Walgreens to accept credit card. Today tried a different one. Had a ton of beans. Figured I would be conservative, so I bought a bag of candy and attempted just one card for $500. No dice. Have to wonder what average people would buy this product if it can't be charged. I understand that those in the "cash economy" might really enjoy this product. I really don't think this deal is going to last too long. Of course I hope that I am wrong.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:29 pm

Lucky's always has plenty of VR, but they insist I have to pay by cash. Out of 10+ tries, I was able to buy the card with a cc twice.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:29 pm
Suspended

guys and gals please amend your posts as spelling it out like that WILL kill it. plus paypal is run by NS which will shut you down pronto. Please, everyone use PM and be discreet for specific advice.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by gpapadop
>>>>>>>>>joesmoe: I unloaded $8k from bb towards my platinum card.

Why would you do $8k spend on Platinum card? On a second thought, why would you put any spending on that card? Unless u recently got it to meet min spend of course.

Weird CeeVeeS encounter yesterday. Bought vanilla and water. Manager was called & said must ring separately. Ok I said. Will not be back at that store, I just don't like to see $503.95 charges:-)
I put airline purchases on it because I like the premium baggage protection. I put rental cars on it because I like the insurance. I buy expensive items on it (TVs, Computers, etc) because I like the extended warranty and the 3 months protection against loss, theft, and damage.

I also live outside the USA currently and as such don't like using the Prepaid cards and such, so that leaves my BA Chase Visa (1.25 miels per dollar, nices because it has a chip) and AMEX Platinum.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:50 pm

I'm trying to start paying some bills with BB, and right now I want to pay off some credit cards. Specifically, Citi cards and AMEX. I just looked at my Citibank cc online statement and I see the ZIP in IA.

However, I'm not sure what to put for my account number. On the pay stub, the number listed at the top of my pay stub is "0" followed by my 16-digit cc number (no spaces, even after the "0", followed by 7 numbers, another 7 numbers, then another 7 numbers, then 4 numbers. I don't recognize any other these other numbers. It's a total of 42 numbers. Or should I just put my 16-digit cc number? I'm guessing these other numbers are there for a reason.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm trying to start paying some bills with BB, and right now I want to pay off some credit cards. Specifically, Citi cards and AMEX. I just looked at my Citibank cc online statement and I see the ZIP in IA.

However, I'm not sure what to put for my account number. On the pay stub, the number listed at the top of my pay stub is "0" followed by my 16-digit cc number (no spaces, even after the "0", followed by 7 numbers, another 7 numbers, then another 7 numbers, then 4 numbers. I don't recognize any other these other numbers. It's a total of 42 numbers. Or should I just put my 16-digit cc number? I'm guessing these other numbers are there for a reason.
I've just used my CC # - worked fine for Amex & Chase
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

Just your CC number.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Stoughton
I've just used my CC # - worked fine for Amex & Chase
Ditto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.