Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
If you have got nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear with FR

That said I have been putting many thousands through Amex Hilton at grocery stores. Not using BB as exit method but something pretty similar
Not necessarily true. I didn't think I had anything to hide, buying dollar coins on an amex business card. They plain out told me that if i didn't stop buying cash equivalents they would close my account.

So sometimes its not a matter of if you have something to hide or not, but rather staying under the radar to minimize the risk of being shut down or maximize the length of time befor eyou do get shut down.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Actually even if you have things to hide you have nothing to fear with FR, just give them the tax form and the worst case you get your credit lines cut.
Many people I know personally have been financially reviewed by AMEX, more than one of them also had all of their accounts (business and personal) closed after the review.

So to think that the worst that can happen is getting your credit lines cut is being wishfully ignorant.

Also, they don't always ask for tax forms, sometimes they ask for bank statements, proof of income, as well as other things.

While some have successfully gotten accounts reopened after amex closes them, most people have reported never being successful again in applying for any amex product.

If you are worried about the potential repercussions of amex FR, please visit the amex fr related threads and discuss this there - its already been discussed to death in multiple places.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by joesmoe
Many people I know personally have been financially reviewed by AMEX...
Are Amex cards issued by other banks subject to the same strictures? e.g. Citibank AA Amex

I am in between Amex cards at the moment, so the BB is actually quite useful to me at places like Costco that only take Amex.

Cheers
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Why would you want to buy with GCs and get charged double on the fees, unless you got your giftcards fee free?

probably got in on the recent rebate offer (buying certain prepaid GC's), but it has since expired. So many have those PP's to use.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jatink129
By the way... Anyone see Vanilla cards that DIDN'T have the pin?
The ones in my local Family Dollar, look like this from the back...

I asked the cashier...but he had no idea what I was talking about and didn't know where the manager was.
Reading threads is such a lost art
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Pinless VR cards - I encountered them this afternoon at Dollar General. I attempted to purchase one for $496.05. The procedure was taking a prepaid card that accepts VR reload. I only had Paypal PP and Amex PP card at the time. I left BB at home. The cashier ran the Amex PP card first then performed the input of the amount for the reload. Then I used my credit card to pay the amount. The transaction was declined. Then I tried Paypal PP card. Same result before I tried to swipe the CC for purchase. They said wrong card. I gave up and left.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Reading threads is such a lost art
Sorry about that.
It probably is. I did do a search but I was searching for the wrong words.
Thanks anyway. I finally found one.

Originally Posted by shopper711
Pinless VR cards - I encountered them this afternoon at Dollar General. I attempted to purchase one for $496.05. The procedure was taking a prepaid card that accepts VR reload. I only had Paypal PP and Amex PP card at the time. I left BB at home. The cashier ran the Amex PP card first then performed the input of the amount for the reload. Then I used my credit card to pay the amount. The transaction was declined. Then I tried Paypal PP card. Same result before I tried to swipe the CC for purchase. They said wrong card. I gave up and left.
Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by jatink129; Nov 25, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Are Amex cards issued by other banks subject to the same strictures? e.g. Citibank AA Amex

I am in between Amex cards at the moment, so the BB is actually quite useful to me at places like Costco that only take Amex.

Cheers
Sorry can't confirm either way on this one. When I was reviewed it was by regular amex (not a certain bank).
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
"If you have got nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear with FR"

Correct.
LOL
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: A few
Not necessarily true. I didn't think I had anything to hide, buying dollar coins on an amex business card. They plain out told me that if i didn't stop buying cash equivalents they would close my account.

So sometimes its not a matter of if you have something to hide or not, but rather staying under the radar to minimize the risk of being shut down or maximize the length of time befor eyou do get shut down.
That is fair enough... I do recall this in the mint days (not me personally just stories on here). I never quite understand why people go in so big, I never do enough of these to get this kind of attention and still earn more points than I can earn taking 3 or 4 family vacations per year

As for the income, I always understate my income on apps, only quoting base salary with no bonuses or other income like property rentals etc so any FR would only show I actually earn a lot more than I declared to them
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline
probably got in on the recent rebate offer (buying certain prepaid GC's), but it has since expired. So many have those PP's to use.
Makes sense. Thank you.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres

This thread is increidbly off topic. This is not suppose to be a chat, but an informational discussion where people share information they have gathered in a means that is useable to others (don't post u can get vr at cvs, but tell us at least what state u live in, and lets stop talking about how to manage credit, that definately doesn't blong here).
^ I concur.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
That is fair enough... I do recall this in the mint days (not me personally just stories on here). I never quite understand why people go in so big, I never do enough of these to get this kind of attention and still earn more points than I can earn taking 3 or 4 family vacations per year

As for the income, I always understate my income on apps, only quoting base salary with no bonuses or other income like property rentals etc so any FR would only show I actually earn a lot more than I declared to them
In that case after FR AMEX should increase your credit limit
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Locations of VR with pin

According to the last ten pages of "Wal-Mart, Amex take on BB..." thread, there are some reports in finding the VRs at cee vee see. The purpose of this thread is to keep a list of confirmed locations. In my area, there is none. I am considering on finding MR flight to locations that have VRs. You get my drift.

Yes VRs:
Seattle
outside of DC
Louisville
PHL
CT
San Diego
North Phoenix
North Albany
CLL
MSY
DT Houston
Brookfield, WI

No VRs:
Baltimore
Sacramento
PConroe TX
Sugarland TX
South/East Bay

Feel free in making a longer list for us all.

Last edited by shopper711; Nov 27, 2012 at 9:00 am
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
There are over 7,000 CVS stores in the USA, I don't think a separate thread is going to be useful.

Besides, anyone can say that there are no VRs at a CVS to put on the "No VR" list to stop others from going.

You know how I found CVS VRs? I Google Mapped the CVSes near me and did some personal ground research. Faster than waiting for others to do the not-so-dirty work.

By the way, I can say that one of those "reports" is wrong ...

Originally Posted by Achilles
I searched high and low in [city] for icecream. All CVS stores are out of them Anyone know any store nearby that has it in stock? I only need a couple
No you didn't, because the day before you made your post, I found multiple CVS stores in our city with VRs. Bought one at each. I've give you a hint, you didn't search "high and low" you only searched "low."

Which is why this list won't work.

Although, maybe we should start a chalking system like the early 20th century hobos. Have a symbol for "this store sells VRs" that we chalk on the facade of the CVS. At least we can drive by the front and check it out without getting out of our cars. It's cold in the winter (it might dip below 60º here)!

Last edited by amolkold; Nov 25, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.