Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who want to over pay your Chase card bills

Please read the following directly copied from a Chase letter that came with a refund check (from normal refund that had sit in account for 3 months with no activity so a check was auto-sent.)

Enclosed please find a credit balance refund check to reimburse you for the current credit balance on your account. Please understand that if the credit balance was due to an overpayment made for your full account balance and the refund was requested in the middle of your billing cycle, you may receive a statement for subsequent interest charges assessed from the date of your previous statement until the date your full payment was received.

I have no inclination to find out exactly what the above wording may mean and how it would affect you if you intentionally overpay your Chase CC, then request the overpayment the following month mid cycle. Those who still want to try can report back the actual outcome for the benefit of the community.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:08 pm

Ok...I will review the BB notices and procedures on their website. I did read it and it did confuse me some, and it sounds like the program is still in flux some.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
You're right here Happy. And the readers of this thread would be smart to read it again. Especially the word JUDICIALLY.

It's been mentioned in the cc churning threads many times. . .begin slow. I know the girl. Paperwork and accounts aren't her strong suit. You and I might love to play with numbers, not her.
<snip>
My sister, sweetest woman ever, never did get a handle on using cc's. DD has seen me help her out of trouble more than once. It was a life lesson that told her to be cautious and I think rightly so. People have to know their limits to managing debt and the accounting skills that go into playing with the cards. You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run.
Both your daughter and your sister need to at least learn how to balance their check books - the 1st baby step towards managing their fiances.

One of the big mistake people committed, usually by men (husband), is to handle all the finance matter for their wives - once the loving husband passed away, the poor wife suddenly found herself has absolutely no knowledge / ability on how to handle even the day to day bill pay, have no credit card under her own name, life suddenly becomes overwhelmingly complicated because all her life was sheltered by her loving husband because she was not good in handling numbers... Too many such sob stories I have seen over the course of my profession. You will not live forever to help your daughter or your sister... They would need to learn how to handle it on their own. Good Luck.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rumpus
In an effort to keep this post somewhat relevant, I will add my experience at Walgreens. So far I have been lucky at 2 locations. One store imposed a one card limit, while another said there is a $1000 max per transaction.
Originally Posted by iminsandiego
I was able to by one card at Walgreens, but since then there have been none on the rack. My closest CVS has 3 empty slots for them, but never any in stock. The other one near me had a few last week and I got one. I went yesterday and they no longer have a slot for them. The tags were removed. I'm hoping they didn't stop selling them completely, but it doesn't look good. I've only managed to buy 2 since OD stopped.
It would be of some value if both of you would at least give basic information of your locations where Walgreen acts more like CVS.

Without at least the city's name, such info is largely useless for those folks who have no CVS in their cities. just sayin.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Happy
Both your daughter and your sister need to at least learn how to balance their check books - the 1st baby step towards managing their fiances.
They could also learn the meaning of "JUDICIALLY" - a word they called out as something they suggested others needed to take careful note of....
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
word of caution-

I had about $7.50 left on BB. Went to Vons and try to charge $22 worth of groceries not realizing I only had $7.50 on BB.

I slid the BB 3 times and was rejected. Finally used my Chase credit card for the transaction. A couple of weeks later, I was charged the full $7.50 on BB with zero balance left. I was also charged $22 for Groceries on my Chase card.

I didn't feel like pursuing my $7.50 loss.
How is the Von's receipt look like?

You can certainly dispute the $7.50 from BB.

Though I think people need to understand the difference between a debit card and a credit card - when you try to pay with your debit card, the allowed amount of payment is limited by the available balance unless you have overdraft feature on the debit card (if from a normal bank account and you opted for such protection).

It is the account holder's responsibility to keep track of the account balance. BB or not BB. Any bank account.

If you use a debit card that is from your normal bank account which has only $7.50 in it, your transaction would go thru but you would also incur may be $20 overdraft fee plus interest ... assuming you have opted for overdraft protection (so your bills would not bounce in case you forget to keep track of your account balance but write checks whether paper or electronic, to pay your bills...)

Consider yourself lucky to learn something with just $7.50 tuition.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jatink129
Thank you! Was hoping someone would reply! Didn't seem to find a similar question asked in this thread.

Oh and...in how many days did you receive your permanent card?
Took about a week for mine to arrive - ordered on 11/07.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
They could also learn the meaning of "JUDICIALLY" - a word they called out as something they suggested others needed to take careful note of....
Oh it should be judiciously! HaHaHa. Heard recently that we see the first and the last letters to a word and can decipher it without the middle being spelled correctly. Obviously an example to prove the case.

But that's just an added tidbit to an otherwise lengthy thread about another subject.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Since your post has no indication of location it is of little relevance. As you say yourself in the post, each store imposes different rules.
very relevant actually, thx for the datapoint.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:02 pm

To get this thread back on track, I found beans at both cvs I went into in upstate NY. No problems at the register. PM me for exact locations, but doesn't seem to be a problem just north of albany.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Any thoughts on keeping vr to bb at only 4000 per month, I just wonder if each month I load max 5 k if it might add scrutiney
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:29 pm

I'm seeing some posts (and MMS has encouraged) people to go to OD and buy the visa gift cards and then buy beans at cvs or walgreens. While this works (sometimes) has anybody been successful is buying Amex gc's and then buying beans with them at cvs or walgreens? given bigcrumbs is giving 1.88% back on purchases with no fees, i'm going to be a little heavy on the amex gc side come next week when the arrive. I would normally liquidate through WP, but if somebody has had success with beans, i might do a half and half thing to limit the hit i take from WP.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I haven't tried it myself but I will if my CCs from my last churn arrive on Monday. If you have an Ink, it makes more sense to buy the GCs at an office store with the 5x, but other cards would make sense with Amex/BC.

And maybe I'm having a brain-fart, but WP?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
I haven't tried it myself but I will if my CCs from my last churn arrive on Monday. If you have an Ink, it makes more sense to buy the GCs at an office store with the 5x, but other cards would make sense with Amex/BC.

And maybe I'm having a brain-fart, but WP?
WP is williampaid. I got in early, so my cost is only 2.45%, if you sign up now, it is 2.95%. Can only send max $5K per month though. I agree, 5x is better, but with the BC's deal, i liked the idea of getting 10K spg points for max out of pocket of $57 without driving anywhere.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
You haven't had problems using a SPG AMEX to buy Amex gift cards? No FR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.