Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 24, 12, 11:30 am

I tried a few 7-11s and they would only do cash. Let me know if you find a good field to harvest.
Old Nov 24, 12, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by samnc0 View Post
thanks for the input. I actually have two basic questions at this point:

1. any new blog link would be helpful. There are several old ones I like (such as millionmilesecrets) but it seems out of date. This is probably the biggest help someone can give me, as the blogs I have seen and read were based on old information.

2. is it possible to pay an individual from bluebird? If so, how is it done? With a sub-account (i.e. the kid who is college has a debit card like thing that is linked with the card)? Or, can it be done electronically somehow to route a certain amount into someone's bank account?
samnc0. You've had at least 3 posts asking some very basic questions. Yes, there are lots of "huh???" and "duh???" moments getting accustomed to BB. Before I asked questions I clicked on "register now" on the BB homepage. Found this:

Check here to confirm you understand Bluebird is a paperless product, and you have reviewed, met and agree to our Consent Statement.
Check here to confirm your receipt, review and acceptance of our Important Notice Concerning User Privacy
Click here to confirm you reviewed, met and agree to our Member Agreement

It was a lot of reading but I figured 1) before I asked questions I should read this and 2) I'd have to read it anyway before signing up for the card. So. . .I'd suggest you give the Consent Statement, Notice Concerning User Privacy and Member Agreement a thorough look over. You need to fully understand what you're signing up for and this would be a good place to start. Then head to blogs and back to this thread.

Originally Posted by EL3V3N View Post
can you happy and gardengirl get a motel room or something? This is about bb churning.
While our discussions aren't directly related to your questions of how to find VR in SEA they are related to BB churning.

I gave examples of a couple young people this "churning for travel" doesn't work for. Some of us here have life experience that brings up red flags when we see examples like that quoted above. People diving into something they don't understand. If they haven't even read the basic t & c's of the program will they be able to manage the tricks of the game?

I'm a gleaner. Threads have a basic path but you can pick up many helpful sidebar tidbits in a thread.

So, if there are posts you don't find interesting then move along. I'll move along with posts regarding SEA 7-11's.
Old Nov 24, 12, 11:55 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by EL3V3N View Post
thanks for the heads up but im sure they gotta be somewhere. If I have to go store by store and drive them insane i will.

how 'bout 7/11?
Good luck - I think you're going to need it. Never seen them in any 7-11.

Last edited by nwflyboy; Nov 24, 12 at 12:07 pm
Old Nov 24, 12, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl View Post
I agree with you gpapadop. We paid off our DTW home (15 year mortgage) about 5 years ago. It's a terrific feeling!

I know the bank will be trying to sell us their goods. Won't hurt to listen. No pre-determination if we'll change our current plan. The email did say that regardless of the term we should benefit with another refinance. Going to a 30 year mortgage doesn't sit well with me mentally. After paying off the house we put our efforts in cleaning out the mortgage for what I affectionately call our "lake house". It's definitely a luxury and we're still deciding whether we want to keep it or get rid of it. Corporate leasing and selling are on the list but we're holding out in case son wants to live there when he returns to the States next year. Amortizing the closing costs over the life of the mortgage and deducting them hasn't been discussed yet .

It bothers me too to see the momentum for churning built by all the internet chatter. Bloggers are just one portion of this. Didn't the travel blogging craze get it's start as a spin-off from FT? My concern is for the young adults new to holding credit cards.

Our kids are adults now with good jobs. Neither are in the cc churning game and that's fine with me. The 32 yo currently works outside the US and travels a lot internationally. Builds status the good old way by flying. Very disciplined but cc churning doesn't fit into his life right now. 25 yo got into a small bit (just $1-2K) of cc debt during college. When she graduated and moved out-of-state we cleaned that up for her so she could see how debt free felt. I told her she'd become very protective of that feeling. She has. She flies Delta and USAir to come home. I mentioned the Delta card for the miles and she quickly came back with "I don't want a cc!" As I said, that's fine with me. . .one of the reasons I pad ff accounts is in case I need to book her some award travel. It's much easier for me to do this and I can keep it within reasonable bounds.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a renewed determination to get rid of this mortgage one way or another.

Fast tracking the mortgage and playing the game of building miles is having your cake and eating it too IMO. There's satisfaction to getting the debt out of the way. There's a satisfaction to flying my family in business and first to nice
vacations and knowing I didn't pay $1,500 - $5K for the seats.

This all sounds good on paper, but sometimes you just have to live the moment in life and not strain yourself over paying off your mortgage.

Besides, obtaining credit cards (and churning) is not the same as running up debt. Now travel isn't cheap! But that's a different issue . We all spend money on things we enjoy.

There's an entire generation now that followed this principal of a down payment and paying off the mortgage, with nothing to show for it. You can't win them all, I can say I know friends who were responsible, saved up tens of thousands after living years in apartments, put 10-20% down payment, and are now 50-100k+ in debt, with their assets all gone, can't move for a job, and have a substantial negative net worth. All because real estate tanked. In fact, they would have rather flushed that money down the toilet years ago -- they would be in better shape.

These people are far more in debt than my other irresponsible friends who maxed out all their credit cards until they wouldn't raise the limits and live paycheck to paycheck, and still do today.

As far as I'm concerned, paying the least down on a mortgage and letting the bank assume the risk (with their leveraged money) is the smartest thing to do until you have enough in equity that you know its now worth "keeping" the house. There's no incentive to pay-off a new mortgage today. Let the bank hold that risk. From a strictly business standpoint, the laws in most US states support this strategy, where they don't with CC debt. Until then, consider your monthly payment the cost of a roof over your head -- utility value -- with a possibility of future appreciation, but no guarantee.

Meanwhile, save money for retirement, but be sure to diversify and utilize safe investments.

Just saying... there's an entire different mentality out there for the younger generation that's been hurt after doing the right thing. Paying off real estate early in life when income is low and time value of money for retirement is crucial is not always the answer.

Last edited by johndoe123; Nov 24, 12 at 1:12 pm
Old Nov 24, 12, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl View Post
BLAHBLAHBLAH.
Wow way to add another long-winded off-topic post to an already overcrowded thread. This used to be worthwhile to follow, but it is just arduous now. At least asking where to find VR can be considered somewhat related to the subject here (i.e. BB). Congrats on your kids turning into independent adults, but please try to save those posts for another thread.

In an effort to keep this post somewhat relevant, I will add my experience at Walgreens. So far I have been lucky at 2 locations. One store imposed a one card limit, while another said there is a $1000 max per transaction.
Old Nov 24, 12, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by rumpus View Post
In an effort to keep this post somewhat relevant, I will add my experience at Walgreens. So far I have been lucky at 2 locations. One store imposed a one card limit, while another said there is a $1000 max per transaction.
I was able to buy one card at Walgreens, but since then there have been none on the rack. My closest CVS has 3 empty slots for them, but never any in stock. The other one near me had a few last week and I got one. I went yesterday and they no longer have a slot for them. The tags were removed. I'm hoping they didn't stop selling them completely, but it doesn't look good. I've only managed to buy 2 since OD stopped.

Last edited by iminsandiego; Nov 24, 12 at 10:34 pm
Old Nov 24, 12, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by rumpus View Post
Wow way to add another long-winded off-topic post to an already overcrowded thread. This used to be worthwhile to follow, but it is just arduous now. At least asking where to find VR can be considered somewhat related to the subject here (i.e. BB). Congrats on your kids turning into independent adults, but please try to save those posts for another thread.

Since your post has no indication of location it is of little relevance. As you say yourself in the post, each store imposes different rules.
Old Nov 24, 12, 2:12 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by johndoe123 View Post
This all sounds good on paper, but sometimes you just have to live the moment in life and not strain yourself over paying off your mortgage.

Besides, obtaining credit cards (and churning) is not the same as running up debt. Now travel isn't cheap! But that's a different issue . We all spend money on things we enjoy.

There's an entire generation now that followed this principal of a down payment and paying off the mortgage, with nothing to show for it. You can't win them all, I can say I know friends who were responsible, saved up tens of thousands after living years in apartments, put 10-20% down payment, and are now 50-100k+ in debt, with their assets all gone, can't move for a job, and have a substantial negative net worth. All because real estate tanked. In fact, they would have rather flushed that money down the toilet years ago -- they would be in better shape.

These people are far more in debt than my other irresponsible friends who maxed out all their credit cards until they wouldn't raise the limits and live paycheck to paycheck, and still do today.

As far as I'm concerned, paying the least down on a mortgage and letting the bank assume the risk (with their leveraged money) is the smartest thing to do until you have enough in equity that you know its now worth "keeping" the house. There's no incentive to pay-off a new mortgage today. Let the bank hold that risk. From a strictly business standpoint, the laws in most US states support this strategy, where they don't with CC debt. Until then, consider your monthly payment the cost of a roof over your head -- utility value -- with a possibility of future appreciation, but no guarantee.

Meanwhile, save money for retirement, but be sure to diversify and utilize safe investments.

Just saying... there's an entire different mentality out there for the younger generation that's been hurt after doing the right thing. Paying off real estate early in life when income is low and time value of money for retirement is crucial is not always the answer.

+1 Very well put. The only thing we know with certainty, is uncertainty !
Old Nov 24, 12, 2:21 pm

Please, please STOP posting your opinions/observations of folks you know who have/have not handled their lives/credit/housing/life well or poorly. You're proud of someone? Great. You're sad for someone? Fine. Please take those things elsewhere. This is not the place for that.
Old Nov 24, 12, 2:39 pm

Roundabout way of buy vanillas at CVS

1) Buy 2 Visa Gift cards at OD: $1009.90 [Get 5050 UR points] *$9.90 fee
2) Use the 2 Visa Gift Cards to Load $1000 onto Amex prepaid at target and spend $1003. *$3 fee
3) Use Amex Target to buy 2 $500 vanillas at CVS *7.90 fees. This should work since amex prepaid has your name on it.
4) Transfer Vanilla reloadable to bluebird

$9.90+3+$7.90 = $20.80 for 5050 UR. Equals 2.42 x per dollar spent w/ Ink.
Old Nov 24, 12, 2:46 pm

word of caution-

I had about $7.50 left on BB. Went to Vons and try to charge $22 worth of groceries not realizing I only had $7.50 on BB.

I slid the BB 3 times and was rejected. Finally used my Chase credit card for the transaction. A couple of weeks later, I was charged the full $7.50 on BB with zero balance left. I was also charged $22 for Groceries on my Chase card.

I didn't feel like pursuing my $7.50 loss.

Last edited by metoo; Nov 24, 12 at 3:25 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Nov 24, 12, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
word of caution-

I had about $7.50 left on BB. Went to Vons and try to charge $22 worth of groceries not realizing I only had $7.50 on BB.

I slid the BB 3 times and was rejected. Finally used my Chase credit card for the transaction. A couple of weeks later, I was charged the fully $7.50 on BB with zero balance left. I was also charged $22 for Groceries on my Chase card.

I didn't feel like pursuing my $7.50 loss.
And people here have asked how Amex can possibly make any money with BB.

There's the business model.
Old Nov 24, 12, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jatink129 View Post
How many days did you guys have to wait for the permanent card from the day you applied for it?

I won't be in town to receive it. What happens if I don't activate it for more than 2 months?
Any ideas?
wont be a problem. mine sat over a month before i activated it.
Old Nov 24, 12, 5:00 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
wont be a problem. mine sat over a month before i activated it.
Thank you! Was hoping someone would reply! Didn't seem to find a similar question asked in this thread.

Oh and...in how many days did you receive your permanent card?
Old Nov 24, 12, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by webazoid View Post
Roundabout way of buy vanillas at CVS

1) Buy 2 Visa Gift cards at OD: $1009.90 [Get 5050 UR points] *$9.90 fee
2) Use the 2 Visa Gift Cards to Load $1000 onto Amex prepaid at target and spend $1003. *$3 fee
3) Use Amex Target to buy 2 $500 vanillas at CVS *7.90 fees. This should work since amex prepaid has your name on it.
4) Transfer Vanilla reloadable to bluebird

$9.90+3+$7.90 = $20.80 for 5050 UR. Equals 2.42 x per dollar spent w/ Ink.
Wait, who's on first?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: