Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jim055
Has anyone successfully paid their Chase Mortgage with Bill Pay?
I setup my Payee section from the approved list.
I have double checked my acct #.
I sent a $1.00 test on 11/16. BB lists the transaction as "completed"
Chase.com does not show receipt of the payment.
Chase CSR said her screen showed no receipt of funds or pending.

Anyone having success with any Chase products?
I completed a mtg to my bank (First Place Bank) last month and the payment posted at the bank site the VERY NEXT day. I was shocked! A friend has been waiting for 3 or 4 days now for the same bank. Mine was pre Sandy. I intend to do it again for my December payment. Give it a bit more time to allow for the eventuality you are experiencing. I would check back on Monday or Tuesday; if not, then it is time to call BB. And their customer service line holds/service is atrocious from what I hear. Good luck!
Maybe I just got super lucky. My experience was FLAWLESS!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by al613
in DTW your mortgage is $3200? Do you own a village?
Oh you gave me a good laugh.

No, it's a modest bit of square footage in Chicago. We're overpaying the mortgage to get it out of the way.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:46 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by particlemn
This is real money we are plying with, I would add a bit of caution to someone who is trying to pay bills with this, if you are not an increadibly dilligent person mistakes could cost you a lot.
I read upthread somoen complaining they could not se their mortgage up for auto pay and they would have to remeber to goto bluebird to make a payment. if you dont actively manage your points earning games they will bite you in the end. "set it and forget it" is for roasting turkeys not for manufacturing miles
One certainly needs to be cautious and attentive to detail in order for this to work relatively flawlessly.

P.S. Please learn how to use quotes correctly. Take your own advice and be cautious - when trying to edit quotes

Originally Posted by gardengirl
No, it's a modest bit of square footage in Chicago. We're overpaying the mortgage to get it out of the way.
Overpaying the mortgage in this extremely low interest rate environment then playing the mileage game? Doesn't make sense to me, but interesting!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Tried doing a search on both threads but didn't see: Can you pay using an email address from bluebird to serve and vice versa?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Just found a few gallons of ice cream at the shop
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>fti: Overpaying the mortgage in this extremely low interest rate environment then playing the mileage game?

Hey buddy, nothing wrong with that. I do it too and play the mileage game. I don't like debt, I am not like them other Greeks who went nuts on credit cards
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by romsdeals3
Your wife is not in the picture. Must be a forgery.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fti
Overpaying the mortgage in this extremely low interest rate environment then playing the mileage game? Doesn't make sense to me, but interesting!
I know, I know. I suspected someone would comment on this. I hate debt. Financial advisors keep saying that sometimes it pays to have debt. We told them about refinancing for a 10 year mortgage earlier this year and they (advisors) said it might be a better plan to go back to a 30 year mortgage so we had less outgo each month then wait until the housing market recovered some more and rethink if we want to sell or not.

It's one of the topics of discussion we're having with Chase in an upcoming meeting. Got an email from them saying they can lower the payment. It's a bonus spin off from getting the business account to get the Ink card. I mean we wouldn't even be having this discussion if I hadn't read up on what new cards to get.

As for playing the game, I've been a saver since childhood. Some habits begin at a very young age and stick with you.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:22 pm

For anyone in WI. Paid my WE energies bill on Nov 9. BB said it would arrive Nov 14. Finally called WE on Nov 19 after not seeing it post on their website. WE said the check did arrive on Nov 14 however it has yet to clear on the WE website.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Your wife is not in the picture. Must be a forgery.
Don't encourage the nonsense...puhleeze, yes, really what we need...more pictures.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by romsdeals3
Who has the red racks - is this CVS?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:46 pm

Replying to gardengirl:

>>>>>>>>>>>I hate debt.

Debt is evil!

>>>>>>>>>>>Financial advisors keep saying that sometimes it pays to have debt. We told them about refinancing for a 10 year mortgage earlier this year and they (advisors) said it might be a better plan to go back to a 30 year mortgage so we had less outgo each month then wait until the housing market recovered some more and rethink if we want to sell or not.

In the years I have been doing this (yes I am a CFP and CPA) nobody came to me to say they were so sorry they paid their house mortgage so early. It will NEVER happen! I never prevented any client to pay off more principal on their mortgage assuming all long term funding plans are on target. There is an undeniable increase in quality of life when you can say to the bank "get out of my way, the house is mine"

>>>>>>>>>>>>It's one of the topics of discussion we're having with Chase in an upcoming meeting. Got an email from them saying they can lower the payment. It's a bonus spin off from getting the business account to get the Ink card. I mean we wouldn't even be having this discussion if I hadn't read up on what new cards to get.

High fees on refis & new mortgages. You will be approached to try their way over rated & high fees "wealth management" services. It is wealth all right, their own!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>As for playing the game, I've been a saver since childhood. Some habits begin at a very young age and stick with you.

This is so absolutely true! This is why it kills me to see so many bloggers pushing credit cards to EVERYONE without saying (really) anything about the cautions that should come with such activities. It is a sad state of affairs really. Disciplined, organized, debt averse, detail oriented individuals like me & many others in this hobby have been doing this for many years. But, in a bigger picture, it is a really sad state of affairs overall. Shameful really.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:49 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I guess for someone like me, I prefer to pay my mortgage and put what I might otherwise pay additional into an investment acct. That will yield me a higher return and in case of a huge emergency (loss of job for a long time for example) I can tap that money. No way I could get a home equity loan to tap my home equity in that case. Certainly one needs to see that money as "spent" or "untouchable" or it is to no avail.

But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:09 pm

Yet another update from me regarding paying Wells Fargo Home Mortgage with Bluebird. I looked and I got hit with a $10 Fax Fee that they sent out right after my payment cleared. Going to call once I get a chance but any suggestions would be nice.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by fti
I guess for someone like me, I prefer to pay my mortgage and put what I might otherwise pay additional into an investment acct. That will yield me a higher return and in case of a huge emergency (loss of job for a long time for example) I can tap that money. No way I could get a home equity loan to tap my home equity in that case. Certainly one needs to see that money as "spent" or "untouchable" or it is to no avail.
But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!
Yes it is different strokes for different folks. It is interesting how you won't see many colleagues of mine saying what I am saying, they want to get a hold of YOUR money because that is how THEY can make some money

Here is my approach, in GENERAL:

-Skills/career/good stable job - Build on skills/Networking/etc.
-6 months emergency fund (Bank Direct, even with the darn $12 monthly fee) Maybe 3 or 4 months if both spouses are working & at least one has a stable job
-Long term retirement/college funding plan w/ plenty of conservative assumptions. Of course, maximizing 401k Plans is non negotiable!
-No debt other than mortgage. Avoid car loans too...have short term funding goals for such short term expenses!
-Keep plugging away. Diversify, keep investment costs low, rebalance in regular intervals (I prefer twice a year but annually is fine) and don't do anything stupid tax wise.
-Windfall or some extra cash and the above are set. Do what make you feel better. If you want to pay towards principal it is FINE. You know what you are getting in return and getting that HUGE moment of being debt free much closer. Yes, interest rates are low. Yes, you COULD probably make more. But it is NOT guaranteed return. Stuff happens. I can tell you stories of what happened to people (not clients) with the dot bombs & then in late 2008 you will weep to eternity.

And this is my story and am sticking to it.

Now, let's not fog the issue of having no debt at all AND how it affects your credit score and cc churning, cough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.