Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Did you enter a completely wrong loan # or did they have issues with dashes/no dashes? I'm trying my next WF mtg payment in a few weeks
I actually added an extra number AND swapped two numbers around in my loan number. I don't know how I managed to do that but I did. I don't have any dashes in my loan number so I did input any, did you mean zip code? I didn't use any dashes in the zip code either.

I have two loans with WF. I input the other one correctly and everything worked out just fine so I know it works if you are careful.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by QL_714
Has there been any developments since the card was released? This thread would be one page long if the same questions were not asked over and over.
But we'd lose the entertainment value of emptiness getting their undies in a bunch while blaming others for their own mistakes.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
Someone told me a sad story several months ago - Chase would not approve her 4th card that was the SW card after 2 separate reconsideration requests. She then went pestering her banker to get that approved. Well, the SW card showed up online for one single day. Next day, every card was CLOSED including the CSP she was about to meet the spend requirement. After a few calls Banker told her there was nothing he could do - it was handled by another dept which he wouldn't reveal and he said once that dept made a decision it was final. That was it.
Long story short, she eventually went thru several channels including the government's - but Chase wouldn't budge other than sent her a $500 check as a courtesy to the 50K UR pt bonus despite she hadn't quite met the spend requirement yet. The only reason Chase given about card closure - "business decision". Chase made it VERY CLEAR in the letter that it is pure goodwill Chase issued the $500 check. A few months later a couple un-related events happened to her Chase bank account, that turned out to be a trigger for Chase to abruptly closed the remaining bank accounts without any warning. My gut guess is, her SSN has been on the "no fly list" that Chase keeps on the radar of its system - it is just a matter of time that something would trigger the final purge of an unwanted customer.
Interesting but I wonder what the rest of the story involves and what the unrelated events happened to be. Too cryptic to be of use.

Did she give you more details to her banking woes? Was her debt reaching further than her assets? Was she transferring balances to delay payments? Is she a hoarder?

My point is she could have been creating a real financial mess. I've watched friends get themselves into problems with internet shopping. Then there's the friends I've watched purchase tupperware, home decor and baskets at parties when they didn't have the money but got caught in the buying craze with the crowd. Card churning could go like that too. One friend does it so another goes along with the scheme and gets caught in a debt of cc mess.

Last edited by gardengirl; Nov 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
[QUOTE=tys90;19724597]I actually added an extra number AND swapped two numbers around in my loan number. I don't know how I managed to do that but I did. I don't have any dashes in my loan number so I did input any, did you mean zip code? I didn't use any dashes in the zip code either.
QUOTE]
This is real money we are plying with, I would add a bit of caution to someone who is trying to pay bills with this, if you are not an increadibly dilligent person mistakes could cost you a lot.
I read upthread somoen complaining they could not se their mortgage up for auto pay and they would have to remeber to goto bluebird to make a payment. if you dont actively manage your points earning games they will bite you in the end. "set it and forget it" is for roasting turkeys not for manufacturing miles
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by greek2me
Just the thought of destroying all those wonderful VRs makes me want to cry....my precious....
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by particlemn
"set it and forget it" is for roasting turkeys not for manufacturing miles
Even roasting turkeys requires you to baste it every so often.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:13 pm

My experience shows it is calendar month.

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Are you sure it's 30 days and not calendar month?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by deant
Even roasting turkeys requires you to baste it every so often.
no no no the machine rotates the turkey and it self bastes
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Data point to add: I tried initiating my payment from the Wells Fargo side so I could put more principle in my payment. For some reason, Bluebird would not honor this request and payment was cancelled.
Principle or principal?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
A little off the topic but related. How much money (annually...business or job) if you make, Would you not care about getting miles/points using this type of exploits?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I'm starting up on this now.

There clearly are some functional limits to this, but if you value points at 3-4 cents and it is not too inconvenient, this makes a lot of sense.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by virtuo0
A little off the topic but related. How much money (annually...business or job) if you make, Would you not care about getting miles/points using this type of exploits?
It's not about the $, it's about the game. I could make 10x what I do and still enjoy this hobby. The satisfaction of flying 2 people to Austin for the F1 race and spending 5 nights at a hotel for $20 total is worth more than the $ I saved (which was considerable).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by virtuo0
Good question.

I am fortunate and do OK in real life. The points game is a fun arbitrage for me...which I enjoy. If I didn't enjoy it, I probably wouldn't engage at all.

I typically use points towards the purchase of long-haul premium cabin tickets - tickets I would otherwise buy. So, for me, as long as it doesn't take too much time/effort to accumulate the points from these little add-ons, the math is always pretty attractive to me. I don't hesitate to use double-miles awards when I need/want to be on a particular flight. The math is still attractive.

Many of my points come from bona fide CC spend and actual travel (gasp).

When to stop? Perhaps when I am flying private?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
It's not about the $, it's about the game. I could make 10x what I do and still enjoy this hobby. The satisfaction of flying 2 people to Austin for the F1 race and spending 5 nights at a hotel for $20 total is worth more than the $ I saved (which was considerable).
+1
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by NYBanker
When to stop? Perhaps when I am flying private?
Yup, that's my stopping point. When I had enough money to fly private whenever I wanted, that might be enough.

Until then, I'm having too much fun.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.