Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Same. All good here in Houston,tx 4/4 so far at CVS.

Amex Hilton good 1 day 1 next day same store
Ink plus 1 in the am 1 in the pm two different store
Req ID and cc for all

Anyone got lucky with a visa/mc/Amex gc? Yet, or is gc for vc dead.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tdrag97
Same. All good here in Houston,tx 4/4 so far at CVS.

Amex Hilton good 1 day 1 next day same store
Ink plus 1 in the am 1 in the pm two different store
Req ID and cc for all

Anyone got lucky with a visa/mc/Amex gc? Yet, or is gc for vc dead.
Was there a $200 or $500 limit on the cards?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:57 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Hopefully this was just a mistake in my case then. Cashier rang it up but the register wouldn't allow her to load more than $200. She contacted her manager who said VRs can only be loaded up to $200. Note: This wasn't an issue with CC though, since we didn't even get to method of payment. I said I'd come back later. Hope to report better success tomorrow.
I did a six-card split-tender (5 gift cards @$200 and an Amex card for $1,000+vanilla fees) to buy $2,000 of reload cards at my nearest CVS a few days ago. No problem at all.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by akp
I've not loaded BB at WalMart, but I've purchased a few money orders. Each time, I've requested $100 (maximum, at least in my experience) cash back.

If my money order was for $850, my transaction would go through SunTrust as $950.70 ($850 MO, .70 MO fee, $100 cash) and I'd get points on all.

Anita
Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by deant
I don't see why AMEX would have an issue with only using the BB for items where you can not use any other credit card. I know that is what I am planning on doing. Pay my property tax, medical insurance etc where no credit cards are accepted. I think the problem would come when you start ATM use and transfers to your checking / savings accounts.
+1

They're position this as a checking alternative. As long as you have a few different outflows a month (pay your credit card bill, even if just in part), a non-chargeable bill (utility or club or something) and one or two other odds and ends, I cannot see anyone being turned off.

Walmart has long wanted to offering checking services, but has been continuously turned down by banking regulators. This is their creative workaround (jointly with Amex).

I've started making odd dollar amount payments on a few of my credit cards from BB. $287.54, $402.11, etc. Just painting a picture of someone who benefits from a low fee account to keep his finances straight.

This NYBanker is "underbanked."
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Was there a $200 or $500 limit on the cards?
they were all for $500.. cashier didnt have any problem.. but I still want those 5x point from ink, but still haven't try using a gc yet here.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by StephenW
It's probably just getting flagged because it doesn't match your spending activity. Also, if you do back to back transactions for the same amount, that will almost always get flagged as the issuer wants to ensure you weren't double charged.
Bingo. That'll do it.

Originally Posted by NYBanker
+1

They're position this as a checking alternative. As long as you have a few different outflows a month (pay your credit card bill, even if just in part), a non-chargeable bill (utility or club or something) and one or two other odds and ends, I cannot see anyone being turned off.

Walmart has long wanted to offering checking services, but has been continuously turned down by banking regulators. This is their creative workaround (jointly with Amex).

I've started making odd dollar amount payments on a few of my credit cards from BB. $287.54, $402.11, etc. Just painting a picture of someone who benefits from a low fee account to keep his finances straight.

This NYBanker is "underbanked."
Bingo again. This is exactly the way to do it. Establish a pattern of paying bills, start the loads low and let them see you using it. It's particularly important to do this when you first open the card, since the majority of fraud on bank accounts happens in the first 30 days.

Mike
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
These damn CC are getting annoying. 4/4 cards so far have been flagged as fraud on first swipe and I had to call to get the lock off it. C'mon fo real folks fo real. lol
same store brand or different store brand? same location or different location?

info. may be helpful.
Thanks.^
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
How is anyone paying mortgage using bluebird? I don't see an option to schedule a payment. Do we need to remember to send payment every month?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mwwalk
For another data point. Tonight I bought a vanilla reload at both CVS and Walgreens in Norman, OK. Neither had a problem with me paying with a credit card. Though the second one I bought was declined the first time and I had to reswipe my card, but it went through. Got an text about a minute later from Chase to make sure it wasn't fraud. CVS had tons of reloads but I got the last one at Walgreens.
Important Data Point to Note:
WalGreens experiences a very HIGH amount of PP GC fraud with CC's.
Therefore, extremely high percentage of fraud alert email if one is succesfully
purchased at WalGreens. (it is a company wide policy NOT to accept CC on some of the GC's....i.e. PP's).

I don't plan to even try myself, since I wish to stay away from FR.
Probably wouldn't have an issue, but it still takes time and creates a headache to deal with it.

I had stopped by several WalGreens and asked, but all seem to have the same answer. So I thought I better call my inside source to find out what the scoop was on this issue.

Last edited by shoreline; Nov 20, 2012 at 9:42 am
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by virtuo0
How is anyone paying mortgage using bluebird? I don't see an option to schedule a payment. Do we need to remember to send payment every month?
Oh the humanity!

Yes, you have to do it manually. You only have to enter the payee info once though.

Can I schedule recurring payments?
No. Recurring bill payment is not available at this time. However, you are able to pay monthly bills by initiating one-time payments each month.
https://bluebird.com/faqs/?linknav=u...Faqs#pay-bills
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Assuming that i am going to make around 3K payments each month, the max gain is $78 with cvs/walgreens trips and making manual payments. Not looking very good.

Yesterday i purchased 2 cards in CVS located in closeby mall. Whatever return i earned, I spent eating some junk food there. End of the day the my gain is cholesterol and fat.

I am out.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:23 am

The other issue I'm having with VR is that I'm maxxed out with 5K loaded on my BB for the month. I tried loading more after statement closed (got an email), still no go. I would get nervous holding onto an activated (but unloaded) VR for 2 wks, as I suppose it's possible some hacker can generate a program to randomly try random VR numbers to load to his/her prepaid card until one hits. I don't think there's a lock or guard to prevent this.

Last edited by DaveInLA; Nov 20, 2012 at 4:26 pm Reason: shoreline's advice taken
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
The other issue I'm having with VR is that I'm maxxed out with 5K loaded on my BB for the month. I tried loading more after statement closed (got an email), still no go. I would get nervous holding onto an activated (but unloaded) VR for 2 wks, as I suppose it's possible some hacker can generate a program to randomly try random VR numbers to load to his/her prepaid card until one hits. I don't think there's a lock or guard to prevent this.
I would remove the specifity (other an hacker danger) in your post above. If you do, I will remove same here.

Hate to give any fraudsters an exact idea.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:27 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I haven't had issues but yea we heard from others.. maybe they did something wrong to cause it to screw up we don't know. I'm sitting on 4 unloaded ones right now. I bought a bunch last day they went out from OD. From now I'm gonna buy at CVS and load immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.