Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 19, 12, 3:06 pm

Data point -
VR purchase success at Walgreens (Denver area).
Last store I tried didn't allow cc's. Today, I was told I couldn't use a CC. Asked if I could use a debit card. Clerk then went to ask store manager who in turn asked me if I'd tried using my CC. On being told I hadn't, he asked me to try it anyway.

Worked
Went back and picked up another for good measure.
Old Nov 19, 12, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I found VR at CVS except that they would only load $200 per VR. Is this the norm?
Old Nov 19, 12, 4:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer View Post
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I found VR at CVS except that they would only load $200 per VR. Is this the norm?
note the norm for me, i always get 500, at one CVS i goto they allways call the manager they check id and punch it in, someitme they ask me that they dont think these are to be sold with credit, i respond, that these are new, and they have the amex logo on it and are able to be purchased via credit. then i am told yea the green dot ones are cash only,
the other CVS just rings up 2 cards at 500 each and thanks me for my bussiness
Old Nov 19, 12, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever View Post
Is that the case? I noticed the same thing, but just assumed one of y'all beat me to it...

Cheers
I have been checking in SoCal for a couple weeks. Nearly all have rack spots for them. Finally found a few at one store on Friday and bought one to test. Went the next day and all were gone.
Old Nov 19, 12, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
note the norm for me, i always get 500, at one CVS i goto they allways call the manager they check id and punch it in, someitme they ask me that they dont think these are to be sold with credit, i respond, that these are new, and they have the amex logo on it and are able to be purchased via credit. then i am told yea the green dot ones are cash only,
the other CVS just rings up 2 cards at 500 each and thanks me for my bussiness
Hopefully this was just a mistake in my case then. Cashier rang it up but the register wouldn't allow her to load more than $200. She contacted her manager who said VRs can only be loaded up to $200. Note: This wasn't an issue with CC though, since we didn't even get to method of payment. I said I'd come back later. Hope to report better success tomorrow.
Old Nov 19, 12, 4:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer View Post
Hopefully this was just a mistake in my case then. Cashier rang it up but the register wouldn't allow her to load more than $200. She contacted her manager who said VRs can only be loaded up to $200. Note: This wasn't an issue with CC though, since we didn't even get to method of payment. I said I'd come back later. Hope to report better success tomorrow.
i would try a different CVS, since this is a YMMV and there are like 12 CVS's within 5 miles of my house. i dont sweat if one does not carry or there is a problem and just move onto the next one
Old Nov 19, 12, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt whatever the call it, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat but still earning millions of points
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I just got that email as well. I tried loading my BB a few prior to this, and it wouldn't let me (I maxed out the 5K/month). Am I starting a new "month" now, of do I have to wait until December?
I don't know it is a valid question since you got an email saying your BB statement is ready. I asked the same question and like you all we got was page after page of crap not related to BB in the BB thread. Sure was interesting to know though some guy threatened a manager to call Corporate though. Bet they remember that guy
Old Nov 19, 12, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
i would try a different CVS, since this is a YMMV and there are like 12 CVS's within 5 miles of my house. i dont sweat if one does not carry or there is a problem and just move onto the next one
I've tried 5 but this is the only one that carries them so far.
Old Nov 19, 12, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by sonofzeus View Post
My recent pump swipe generated a $100 authorization. Actual purchase was $26. Won't be prepaying at the pump again with BB.
The way to avoid the pending "overcharge" that is common at gas stations is to go inside and ask the attendant for $X amount of gas. Then they will only put that exact amount of charge onto your account. It's an extra step, sure...but if avoiding the "overcharge" makes a difference to the management of your cash flow with these prepaid cards, then that's how to avoid it.
Old Nov 19, 12, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by emptiness View Post
yes, when the machine says GIVE THE CARD TO CASHIER, that's when the trouble starts,( checks card and complains about not having names on prepaid or visa giftcard) cos you have to give it to the cashier and he or she has to enter the last 4 digits of the card. would be nice if the customer can enter it himself.
Just walk away if the cashier balks. There's a decent chance that if you go to that very same store and get a different cashier on a different day, the transaction might go through. Or maybe it won't. But elevating the issue to the attention of management will only bring the wrong kind of attention to the deal.
Old Nov 19, 12, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thegasguru View Post
Just walk away if the cashier balks. There's a decent chance that if you go to that very same store and get a different cashier on a different day, the transaction might go through. Or maybe it won't. But elevating the issue to the attention of management will only bring the wrong kind of attention to the deal.
+1 We need to be smart about this to keep it from raising red flags. There's no reason to escalate complaints that will only attract more eyes to the deal. We don't need another store to stop carrying these cards.
Old Nov 19, 12, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegasguru View Post
i really got pissed and still am at this condescending cashier,

but as i like to see things in wider prospective, i have chosen not to speak to manager and forget about it cos i don't want CVS employees to think about VR.

Last edited by emptiness; Nov 19, 12 at 6:49 pm
Old Nov 19, 12, 7:15 pm

the cvs location i went to, the cashier refused to accept my vanilla gift card to buy VR. Asked me for ID and says there is no name on the visa card, blah blah, asked for manager but wasn't there and she says she is assistant manager. Went out and told her I will complain to the corporate office for refusal of service
Call corporate and you will find out their policy is to not accept GC's as payment for other GC's/reloads.
Old Nov 19, 12, 7:19 pm

Calm down then try the quote again. You don't know their policy so you are getting mad at me?
Old Nov 19, 12, 7:40 pm

Programs: many
i really got pissed and still am at this condescending cashier,

but as i like to see things in wider prospective
Have you tried your Amex business gold rewards card?!! ^^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: