Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
in my experience, 100% of the walgreen store says CASH only and over 70 % of the CVS is cash only. Few accept debit but since there is no pin number, it wouldn't work. I once replied yes to DEBIT, asked for pin number , told him it is pin less debit. by then it was too much for the cashier and gave me all kind of looks. I told him i will come later with my pin number.
Could have tried 4 zeroes, the most common/default PIN in cards. :-:
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ferrari_fan
Could have tried 4 zeroes, the most common/default PIN in cards. :-:
seriously? will work as debit on prepaid and visa gcs?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
seriously? will work as debit on prepaid and visa gcs?
Didn't for me.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
You need to 1) keep up with your reading. 2) improve your reading skill. 3) know where, what and HOW to search!

FYI, most folks who got the ST debit cards do it REMOTELY with no ST presence in their respective states.

The FT Glossary is only helpful for the most generic type, and NEVER would keep up with the latest, and the more specific ones that are "invented", usually in the most popular threads to save typing time.
Keeping up with reading or improving skill in this case would have meant to have noticed ST as Sun Trust in threads I've read. To be honest, and I'm sure it's apparent, I don't read all of FT. Lots of forums of interest but I can't even keep up with them all. So it's a "hit what I can" method for me. Maybe ST as Sun Trust has been in threads I've read but until now it hasn't been top on my radar to put the ST abbreviation into my memory box of abbreviations. I don't concentrate on debit cards. Truthfully, if kdinino had said "Delta debit MC" this discussion wouldn't be happening.

My problem isn't that ST was used as an abbreviation, it's the higher than thou attitude of flaming someone for not knowing or even being able to search it out. Really, how much searching should go into something so simple? Why such an intolerance for the asking? Earlier today, even you were grateful for a bit of clarification. Remember, I didn't ask, I just thanked the person who did. Brave soul.

I've read the FAQ's to the search feature on FT. I've tried searching ST and Delta ST multiple ways. 496 posts, 492 threads. I've tried the "Search this Forum", and "Search this Thread" features.

As an Evangelist wouldn't it be better to be helpful than to look for ways to cut down someone who's trying? Happy?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Keeping up with reading or improving skill in this case would have meant to have noticed ST as Sun Trust in threads I've read. To be honest, and I'm sure it's apparent, I don't read all of FT. Lots of forums of interest but I can't even keep up with them all. So it's a "hit what I can" method for me. Maybe ST as Sun Trust has been in threads I've read but until now it hasn't been top on my radar to put the ST abbreviation into my memory box of abbreviations. I don't concentrate on debit cards. Truthfully, if kdinino had said "Delta debit MC" this discussion wouldn't be happening.

My problem isn't that ST was used as an abbreviation, it's the higher than thou attitude of flaming someone for not knowing or even being able to search it out. Really, how much searching should go into something so simple? Why such an intolerance for the asking? Earlier today, even you were grateful for a bit of clarification. Remember, I didn't ask, I just thanked the person who did. Brave soul.

I've read the FAQ's to the search feature on FT. I've tried searching ST and Delta ST multiple ways. 496 posts, 492 threads. I've tried the "Search this Forum", and "Search this Thread" features.

As an Evangelist wouldn't it be better to be helpful than to look for ways to cut down someone who's trying? Happy?
If you are into miles-havesting, then what difference does it make if debit card also works?

The ST debit card at one point offer 50K DL bonus and that was quite attractive to some, not to mention that it also earns 1 mile per $1 "spend" - far easier to do than the juggernaut you are now engaging.

You need to re-define your search, such as type in quotation marks of a more meaningful short phrase rather than Delta ST which is way too vague a criteria. also you need to search in the thread(s) where you read about it and not understand it, instead of searching the whole FT... That is why I gave you the No.3 pointer. Seriously, this is just common sense why it seems so big a burden to you is beyond me.

Evangelist or not it is just some term the FT doles out - it means nothing to me. Though I much prefer to teach others how to fish rather than hand over the fish. It is up to you whether you want to learn, and how to prioritize / organize your approach into reading FT or whatever forums interested you - learning how to more effectively doing it is one of such option but you obviously prefer the spoon feeding in disguise.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:39 pm

If you are into miles-havesting, then what difference does it make if debit card also works?

The ST debit card at one point offer 50K DL bonus and that was quite attractive to some, not to mention that it also earns 1 mile per $1 "spend" - far easier to do than the juggernaut you are now engaging.

You need to re-define your search, such as type in quotation marks of a more meaningful short phrase rather than Delta ST which is way too vague a criteria. also you need to search in the thread(s) where you read about it and not understand it, instead of searching the whole FT... That is why I gave you the No.3 pointer. Seriously, this is just common sense why it seems so big a burden to you is beyond me.

Evangelist or not it is just some term the FT doles out - it means nothing to me. Though I much prefer to teach others how to fish rather than hand over the fish. It is up to you whether you want to learn, and how to prioritize / organize your approach into reading FT or whatever forums interested you - learning how to more effectively doing it is one of such option but you obviously prefer the spoon feeding in disguise.
I didn't say debit cards aren't worthwhile. I said I haven't concentrated on them. I've chosen others. Yes, I harvest miles, not as aggressive as some, but my speed has worked nicely for our needs.

The ST debit card sounds like it was a good offer. One I missed. Oh well, I'm working on some right now and there will be others when I'm ready for more. If the juggernaut you're referring to is this BB movement then I've got to clarify it's just an extra bonus in a plan for 240K cc bonus miles. When all the Chase cards have their required spend satisfied, targeting certain cards for category of spending should mean more than 1 mile per $1 spent much of the time. I'm curious to see if OD comes back with another VR that takes care of the fraud issues but is still friendly for Ink users. For us UR points transfer to 1 mile per point with United, US Air or Delta through MR.

Seriously (you like that word), I was supposed to catch in your pointer No. 3 that by putting "inventing" in quotes that using ""'s in the Search this Thread option would bring up all the "ST"'s in the thread? No, I thought you were using quotes like others use them when they are emphasizing a word. Surely, somewhere along the line someone told you about this feature. It isn't in the FAQ's for the search features. Are you saying that you and everyone else who knows this works just figured it out from common sense? I seriously doubt it. I would have used it had I known about it. Believe me the last thing I want to do is ask . . . Is it common sense to cut the top 1/3 off the burlap of a root ball when planting a tree so the burlap doesn't wick the water to the bottom of the hole and drown the plant? No. So I plainly tell this detail to those I'm teaching how to plant shrubs and trees. It gets done and they know. Painless. Spoonfed? No. Helpful. Yes.

"It means nothing to me" "Teach others how to fish" High platitudes. Blah, blah, blah. Why are Do's so popular? Because people want to learn. There are lots of generous people as part of these Do's willing to help those interested in learning. Sure I'd like to know how to better consume the wealth of info here on FT but I'm muddling along the best I currently know how. When you start spouting off what I prefer and what I don't prefer you are surely talking about something you know nothing about.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:29 pm

Smile My Bluebird Experience thus far...

I spent two hours on both hold and talking to a young man from India last night who answered after I played some phone menu games to get to someone live. The 10x I called the number on the activation sticker, prior to the games, I was told the BB card is so successful, they couldn't take my call & I must use the info on their site & they hung up on me. (AmEx, bad form!)

I called to first activate the Blue Bird card that I had received in the mail & then find out how I could use it to pay credit card bills. He was clueless on the activation, had no idea how Americans pay their credit card bills and spoke so quickly I had to request repeats on almost everything he said after "Hello". Finally, I got his supervisor on the line. I explained my question about paying credit cards without a routing number & acct. number. Had to explain banking in the USA to him, too. (What's AmEx thinking? They have no training in American banking and credit??? Bad enough these jobs are outsourced, but train them, for God's sake!)

Anyway, finally he "clicked" on what I was saying & what I was asking and he gave me what I would call a human-friendly explanation, rather than repeating, "YOU CAN DO IT!! JUST BELIEVE ME!!" To wit:

If your CC is one of the BB's registered payees (check site after activation & e-mail verification. List found under "Bill Pay Feature" - but at this moment this part of their site is down.) then you put in credit card account info and they (BB/AmEx) send your desired payment from your BB card balance electronically (posts in 24 hours) to the CC/Bank. If the CC isn't among their growing registered payees list, they send a physical check with the CC info you give and it takes 3-5 biz days to post.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
"It means nothing to me" "Teach others how to fish" High platitudes. Blah, blah, blah. Why are Do's so popular? Because people want to learn. There are lots of generous people as part of these Do's willing to help those interested in learning. Sure I'd like to know how to better consume the wealth of info here on FT but I'm muddling along the best I currently know how. When you start spouting off what I prefer and what I don't prefer you are surely talking about something you know nothing about.
My dear, by all means, go to the DO's - and remember you would need to pay to get help (and they do not do hand-holding, you still have to put in some efforts in learning.)

Here the posts are free, take them as what they worth and stop complaining why others dont accommodating you - nobody here has any obligation to anyone - it is just an internet forum where people exchange ideas - no more no less.

As for the debit card, in what form or manner I imply your preference? All I am saying is, if a person is into harvesting miles, then just look at a deal / tool / mechanism at their virtue and make a decision based on whether such would work for oneself - again, define your goal as in most areas in life if you want to achieve something.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:48 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TVFilmFL
I called to first activate the Blue Bird card that I had received in the mail & then find out how I could use it to pay credit card bills.
I find it shocking that someone posting in a thread about how to use a BB to buy things that aren't typically bought with a credit card would call and ask how to pay a credit card bill.

And then further shocked that it's so persistently difficult for folks to figure out clicking on "Pay Bills" and entering the name and account number. Then going to the credit card website on the delivery date and verifying the payment hit.

Why are people so fascinated with calling and asking so many questions?

TRY things out. Learn as you go. Stay off the radar as much as possible; you're a better customer that way and less likely to be hassled.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
My dear, by all means.... .
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
TRY things out. Learn as you go. Stay off the radar as much as possible; you're a better customer that way and less likely to be hassled.
I agree - what's so hard about sending out a few $10 test payments from BB to each payee and then sitting back and waiting a few days to see if it is processed on the other end? That's what I did and so far everthing has worked OK. Seems like a lot of people here are very impatient.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:59 pm

I also ordered one for my sister and niece and got them. I shouldn't have problem paying my card bills with their BB card right? my bills may get rejected becos the payer is a different person?
I have paid my dad's gas and brother's water bill. It worked.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Seems like a lot of people here are very impatient.
Impatient or something else...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:31 am

When I talked to the Manila customer service rep, she said I can transfer fund from BB back to my bank account. I haven't gone thru the FAQ online to verify that.

Not sure it is VR site issue or BB's system issue. Read a little bit upthread, another poster had the same issue but on subsequent attempt he was able to load it.

I wasn't able to activate my BB online, got an error message to call for activation. I then tried the submit button again to activate online. Same error message.

But when I finally got thru the phone rep, the customer service rep in Manila said my card was activated and good to go. I also do not see the option for activation again when I logged in. So I assume the card is indeed activated despite the error message.

Unfortunately I have not yet seen a VR in 2 CVS stores nearby. One has an empty slot and another one does NOT even have a slot for the Bean.

When I called to activate my BB, the Manila customer service rep told me I have $10K limit on my card. I told her I thought it was $5K only but she said, No, your card has a $10,000 monthly limit. I hope she is not adding $5000 funding and $5000 withdrawal allowed per month...
Originally Posted by frozyn
Correct. From BB To bank account. I haven't heard of anyone having success when they intitiate the transaction with their bank account. Only when they do it through BB's system.

$5k is the max amount you can load via VR, per month. $10K is the max from all sources combined, per month. $10K is also the maximum amount of money you can have loaded to BB at any given time.
Thanks a lot for the Cliff Note. Now only if I could find a VR in sight.
This is getting hopeless.

I got my card in mail yesterday. Tried to activate online and got an error message which instructed me to call to activate.

When I called, after following prompts, I got the message - due to the high success of the Bluebird, we are unable to answer your call at this time. You may try the alternative by going to our website. Then the phone went dead.

EDIT:

Now when I go to Bluebird site it does not give me the option to activate any more. No clue whether the card is activated or not until AMEX gets its act together and bring back live customer service line.

I have a 5x targeted offer on 2 Citi TYP cards for up to 2500 bonus pts. So 1 VR each would take care of it if it ever works. Good thing the offer runs thru 12/31/12, that is, if BB does not change T&C by then!
So you just swipe one by one? I assume when mixing with GC and CC, the GC went first?
From the above posts it looks like even you, Dear Happy, needs some occasional hand holding.

My dear, by all means, go to the DO's - and remember you would need to pay to get help (and they do not do hand-holding, you still have to put in some efforts in learning.)

Here the posts are free, take them as what they worth and stop complaining why others dont accommodating you - nobody here has any obligation to anyone - it is just an internet forum where people exchange ideas - no more no less.

As for the debit card, in what form or manner I imply your preference? All I am saying is, if a person is into harvesting miles, then just look at a deal / tool / mechanism at their virtue and make a decision based on whether such would work for oneself - again, define your goal as in most areas in life if you want to achieve something.
Sure the Do's have an expense. But it is for far more than the classes. There is excitement of everything involved with being a community that is a bonus.

As I've been trying to say, but you haven't been listening very well, I'm all for learning. I've never complained that someone didn't answer my question. You're obviously not being thorough with your reading.

My problem is with the flaming for a simple ask of a question. If you don't want to answer someone, then keep quiet. There's an arrogance that says you are the only one with the proper difficulties and questions but others are mere trifles of common sense. Sounds like a case of the unmerciful servant IMO.

You are really confused in your last paragraph. If you go back and read your previous post you will see that you said I prefer the spoon feeding. Oh not so Dear Happy. I like to be led to the source of info so I can do my homework. Then if I need more clarification I'm not ashamed to say so. Supposedly, it never hurts to ask.

You are right, FT is an internet forum for the exchange of ideas and discussion. You are wrong that no hand holding is involved. You're even blind if you think your hand hasn't also been held. In my gardening business I do often explain I hold my clients hands to get them the space they're dreaming of. There's an enjoyment that comes with a compassionate desire to help others.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:44 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down Gardengirl and Happy, take it off the thread, please

Please take your back-and-forth off the thread out of courtesy to those of us who are interested in Bluebird developments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.