Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
the cvs location i went to, the cashier refused to accept my vanilla gift card to buy VR. Asked me for ID and says there is no name on the visa card, blah blah, asked for manager but wasn't there and she says she is assistant manager. Went out and told her I will complain to the corporate office for refusal of service
don't complain to corporate office. keep your machismo in check. is your goal to convince this clerk you are right, or is your goal to earn miles?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: A few
i know that but gift cards dont have names, just like a store gift card, you don't ask for ID when using gap or staples gift card
you don't go round making idle or real threats to call corporate when trying to harvest miles
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sk8uno
don't complain to corporate office. keep your machismo in check. is your goal to convince this clerk you are right, or is your goal to earn miles?
Clear vision would help.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
you don't go round making idle or real threats to call corporate when trying to harvest miles
Exactly, especially when the process is taking advantage of certain "soft spot" in the system.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:21 pm

It's definitely store-by-store. The store manager herself rang me up today and had no problem with 2x VRs at $495 a piece using OneVanilla card. No name on card and no id check. Had to manually key in the last four digits and/or the security code on the back, but no other issues.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:31 pm

got shot down w/ vr and amex gift card at cvs.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Went out and told her I will complain to the corporate office for refusal of service
At some point, the frustration of trying to use deals like this just isn't worth it. Each of us has a different tolerance for that frustration. Based on your recent posts, you may be hitting yours. It's really ok to just walk away and not participate. This "game" isn't for everyone.

There are tons of threads with other low-$-per-hour ways of earning miles, such as surveys, trivia, rental car promos, etc.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
2. I just got an email from BB saying my monthly statement is available.
Does this mean I am in a new month with 5k more room or is it calendar months ???
I just got that email as well. I tried loading my BB a few prior to this, and it wouldn't let me (I maxed out the 5K/month). Am I starting a new "month" now, of do I have to wait until December?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
It's definitely store-by-store. The store manager herself rang me up today and had no problem with 2x VRs at $495 a piece using OneVanilla card. No name on card and no id check. Had to manually key in the last four digits and/or the security code on the back, but no other issues.
yes, when the machine says GIVE THE CARD TO CASHIER, that's when the trouble starts,( checks card and complains about not having names on prepaid or visa giftcard) cos you have to give it to the cashier and he or she has to enter the last 4 digits of the card. would be nice if the customer can enter it himself.

Last edited by emptiness; Nov 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DeepSky
. . .I changed my mind and told him to put rest of the amount on CSP, which he gladly allowed me to swipe.
Thank you DeepSky for this example.

CSP isn't in the Glossary but because of it's familiarity (mine still has the new card smell) I was able to easily piece together that it means Chase Sapphire Preferred (at least I hope it does ).

kdinino was certainly within reasonable parameters (post #2641) to refer to his/her card as a Delta ST but for us in states without Sun Trust banks in every neighborhood it was a puzzle. The Glossary has ST as SkyTeam. Well that fits when paired with Delta but not really in the context of the post.

Since the abbreviation came up in several more posts it was puzzling to not understand the full meaning of the discussion.

My point is how much searching does someone need to do so they don't get flamed for asking a simple question for clarification?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webazoid
got shot down w/ vr and amex gift card at cvs.
It would be more helpful to the community if you reveal the city's name.

A generic post like that is of no use because it is always YMMV anyway. However giving a tad more information would help those who are in your locale.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Thank you DeepSky for this example.

CSP isn't in the Glossary but because of it's familiarity (mine still has the new card smell) I was able to easily piece together that it means Chase Sapphire Preferred (at least I hope it does ).

kdinino was certainly within reasonable parameters (post #2641) to refer to his/her card as a Delta ST but for us in states without Sun Trust banks in every neighborhood it was a puzzle. The Glossary has ST as SkyTeam. Well that fits when paired with Delta but not really in the context of the post.

Since the abbreviation came up in several more posts it was puzzling to not understand the full meaning of the discussion.

My point is how much searching does someone need to do so they don't get flamed for asking a simple question for clarification?
You need to 1) keep up with your reading. 2) improve your reading skill. 3) know where, what and HOW to search!

FYI, most folks who got the ST debit cards do it REMOTELY with no ST presence in their respective states.

The FT Glossary is only helpful for the most generic type, and NEVER would keep up with the latest, and the more specific ones that are "invented", usually in the most popular threads to save typing time.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:14 pm
Suspended

I also ordered one for my sister and niece and got them. I shouldn't have problem paying my card bills with their BB card right? my bills may get rejected becos the payer is a different person?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
the cvs location i went to, the cashier refused to accept my vanilla gift card to buy VR. Asked me for ID and says there is no name on the visa card, blah blah, asked for manager but wasn't there and she says she is assistant manager. Went out and told her I will complain to the corporate office for refusal of service
No CVS in my state. Lots of Walgreens, though.

About half the Walgreens in my area seem to have VRs in stock, but so far I've found none that would take a credit card for payment (I've probably tried 20 of them), so I was hoping that gift cards would do the trick. It didn't.

I went to Staples today to buy some Visa gift cards. All the $200 cards were out (at all 3 Staples in town) so I just got 2 x $100, since I wanted to test to see if I could use these cards to buy VR at Walgreens. Went to 3 different Walgreens. Was refused for either credit card or prepaid gift card. I tried telling them my Visa gift card was a debit card ("see, it says 'Debit' right there above the Visa logo..."). They said no it's not, cash only, pound sand.

YMMV.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
No CVS in my state. Lots of Walgreens, though.

About half the Walgreens in my area seem to have VRs in stock, but so far I've found none that would take a credit card for payment (I've probably tried 20 of them), so I was hoping that gift cards would do the trick. It didn't.

I went to Staples today to buy some Visa gift cards. All the $200 cards were out (at all 3 Staples in town) so I just got 2 x $100, since I wanted to test to see if I could use these cards to buy VR at Walgreens. Went to 3 different Walgreens. Was refused for either credit card or prepaid gift card. I tried telling them my Visa gift card was a debit card ("see, it says 'Debit' right there above the Visa logo..."). They said no it's not, cash only, pound sand.

YMMV.
in my experience, 100% of the walgreen store says CASH only and over 70 % of the CVS is cash only. Few accept debit but since there is no pin number, it wouldn't work. I once replied yes to DEBIT, asked for pin number , told him it is pin less debit. by then it was too much for the cashier and gave me all kind of looks. I told him i will come later with my pin number.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Has anybody tried paying CC bills by pulling from BB? That is, registering BB as a checking account on the CC's website, then using it to pay the balance?
DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. Your payment will be returned as 'invalid account/no account found and you might be charged an NSF fee depending on how your payee handles this type of returned code.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.