Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 18, 12, 1:39 pm

Possibly helpful data point--

BB requires direct deposit to make a no-fee, free withdrawl from MoneyPass at WM.

Topcashback . com refunds are noted as direct deposit (through Centurion Bank) into your BB account. Later today I'll go test at WM in person.
Old Nov 18, 12, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by elizadoo View Post
BB requires direct deposit to make a no-fee, free withdrawl from MoneyPass at WM.

Topcashback . com refunds are noted as direct deposit (through Centurion Bank) into your BB account. Later today I'll go test at WM in person.
I think someone said that small Paypal deposits also count as DD.
Old Nov 18, 12, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Gas stations will generally authorize a credit card swiped at the pump for $75...

My recent pump swipe generated a $100 authorization. Actual purchase was $26. Won't be prepaying at the pump again with BB.
Old Nov 18, 12, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by sonofzeus View Post
My recent pump swipe generated a $100 authorization. Actual purchase was $26. Won't be prepaying at the pump again with BB.
Depends on the gas station. I think $100 is the max I've seen. I use my Ink directly on it most times for 2x.
Old Nov 18, 12, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
I told the cashier that I wanted to use multiple visa gift cards, (I had 3 from my staple diet ), he asked me to hand over the gift cards to him rather than swipe on my own. After he had entered 2 of them (I say entered because I don't recall if he swiped - but for sure he he did some data entry on his end), I changed my mind and told him to put rest of the amount on CSP, which he gladly allowed me to swipe.

He checked my Id only when I asked for CC payment for partial amount. And if it helps - I did register my gift cards on giftcardmall.com/mygift as was suggested on gift card pack.
Thanks for the details. Very helpful.^
Old Nov 18, 12, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greek2me View Post
I have bought a small purchase plus $100 cashback at big chain grocery store on my ST and have NOT gotten pts on cashback. YMMV.
For whatever reason, the register works differently at WM.

Grocery stores registers seem to distinguish the purchase from the cash back when sending info to the issuer of the card. WM's doesn't.
Old Nov 18, 12, 4:21 pm

went to od today, headed for the gift card rack, all the visa, mc and amex gift cards are gone. in their place were tickets that you have to take to the cashier, then the cashier goes to the back and gets the real cards. very strange.
Old Nov 18, 12, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Depends on the gas station. I think $100 is the max I've seen. I use my Ink directly on it most times for 2x.
I always buy $50 Mobil or Shell GCs with my Ink at OD. It avoids any problems you might have with a gas station blocking off $75 or $100 on a purchase. And the pump shuts down automatically when the GC is exhausted. If you don't mind carrying an extra GC or 2 in your wallet, I have found it works really well. But, I don't do a ton of driving so I don't fill my car more than about twice a month. If I had to fill up every few days it'd probably annoy me.
Old Nov 18, 12, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by HCSmooth66 View Post
I always buy $50 Mobil or Shell GCs with my Ink at OD. It avoids any problems you might have with a gas station blocking off $75 or $100 on a purchase. And the pump shuts down automatically when the GC is exhausted. If you don't mind carrying an extra GC or 2 in your wallet, I have found it works really well. But, I don't do a ton of driving so I don't fill my car more than about twice a month. If I had to fill up every few days it'd probably annoy me.
I spend about $80 a month on gas, and the Shell and Mobil stations in my area are overpriced and usually out of my way, not worth the extra URs I'd get for OD GCs.
Old Nov 18, 12, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt whatever the call it, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat but still earning millions of points
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I think someone said that small Paypal deposits also count as DD.
1. Is this true?
2. I just got an email from BB saying my monthly statement is available.
Does this mean I am in a new month with 5k more room or is it calendar months ???

Sorry I know this has been answered but 60 pages were added since I got back to here and I forgot.
Old Nov 18, 12, 4:40 pm

Well, I'm in Austin Tx for 1 whopping day (today).....So, if there are any friendly FT'ers around the area and would like to share a secret spot for finding the beans (that will let you buy with CC or GC's), it would be greatly appreciated. we will be flying back out tomorrow.

I only want to try to purchase 1 to try this out. (Have never successfully bought 1 yet to load the BB).

I plan to drive around anyway, but just thought I would ask.

If there's anyone around here, please PM me.

Haven't had any success in my home area, but will continue searching.
Old Nov 18, 12, 4:52 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
It seems to be by 'region'

Because 3 relatively close stores all take CCs and then there is like another batch of 3-4 relatively close that don't. Seems that it is possibly the regional managers choice...
Old Nov 18, 12, 5:46 pm
Suspended

the cvs location i went to, the cashier refused to accept my vanilla gift card to buy VR. Asked me for ID and says there is no name on the visa card, blah blah, asked for manager but wasn't there and she says she is assistant manager. Went out and told her I will complain to the corporate office for refusal of service
Old Nov 18, 12, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by emptiness View Post
Went out and told her I will complain to the corporate office for refusal of service
that will help prolong availability at CVS
Old Nov 18, 12, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
that will help prolong availability at CVS
i know that but gift cards dont have names, just like a store gift card, you don't ask for ID when using gap or staples gift card

Search this Thread
Search Engine: