Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: all
I cant find any beans in the SF Bay Area. any tips?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:48 pm

I tried buying a $196.05 bean at CVS using a $200 Visa GC. I hit the "debit" button as form of payment, but it then asked me to enter PIN. When I told the cashier that it didn't have a PIN, she said "oh, it's a gift card" and now it looks like the payment went through as a credit card. I don't think there's an option to pay with a gift card.

Anyway, I have a lot of $200 Visa GC (Staples, cough). What I want to do is to combine them to pay off 1 $500 (or $496.05) bean. Seeing as my local CVS charges these GC as CC, I don't think I'll be able to do that. Has anybody tried combining multiple Visa/MC GC to pay for 1 large bean?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by shoreline
I have been keeping up with the thread for a while now.

I am wondering why there's not much talk about the $100MC that can be bought at Staples with the rebate?

I am sure it may be in this thread somewhere (I have been looking back through the thread again), but I cannot tell if this card can be used to directly load onto the BB or not.

Can someone please pm me the answer to this question, or post here?

I am wondering why there's so little chatter about the MC card, and much chatter about the VS cards.
The MC doesn't come in $200's, which means higher activation costs, and no Staples rebate error.

And negative on question two.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:27 pm

Would you like Black or Pinto beans?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
The Barracks Road Charlottesville CVS allows unlimited VR purchases FWIW. Lowers the cost when you can buy $3k at once. Just got 1k each on 3 different cards with 3 different banks.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:30 pm

Is this a risk?

The only thing that interests me on the Bluebird is to pay my mortgage & pay my credit card. I'd be loading at a wm register, but I'm only asking about the risks on how I use the Bluebird.

If I do only those 2 activities (no ATM use, no transfers to checking account, but also not really any purchases either), would you consider that to be somewhat of a risk to getting shut down on the Bluebird? or like a Financial review sorta thing.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
The only thing that interests me on the Bluebird is to pay my mortgage & pay my credit card. I'd be loading at a wm register, but I'm only asking about the risks on how I use the Bluebird.

If I do only those 2 activities (no ATM use, no transfers to checking account, but also not really any purchases either), would you consider that to be somewhat of a risk to getting shut down on the Bluebird? or like a Financial review sorta thing.
If I were to do that, I would at least leave the money in the account for a while to ensure BB is making some money off your money.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I don't see why AMEX would have an issue with only using the BB for items where you can not use any other credit card. I know that is what I am planning on doing. Pay my property tax, medical insurance etc where no credit cards are accepted. I think the problem would come when you start ATM use and transfers to your checking / savings accounts.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I don't think California CVS have them. I checked a few in socal without any luck.
Originally Posted by frozyn
Ditto, but they seem to be on their way. Each time I've found racks with their name on them, waiting to be filled.
Originally Posted by deant
I don't see why AMEX would have an issue with only using the BB for items where you can not use any other credit card. I know that is what I am planning on doing. Pay my property tax, medical insurance etc where no credit cards are accepted. I think the problem would come when you start ATM use and transfers to your checking / savings accounts.
I agree. I think people are overly cautious about this product.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:19 pm

Data point - Local walgreens (Denver area), wouldn't allow purchase with credit cards.
Cash ONLY.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Are there any opinions about what CC companies are going to think about 1-2 charges per month for $1007.90? Doesn't seem like they should care since they're still getting their 2%. That doesn't mean they won't, though...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Are there any opinions about what CC companies are going to think about 1-2 charges per month for $1007.90? Doesn't seem like they should care since they're still getting their 2%. That doesn't mean they won't, though...
I'd imagine it depends on whether you're getting 5x or 1x on that $1007.90.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:38 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Hilton Amex CC at 6x

I've been using the Amex Hilton card for about 8 months pretty much exclusively for high bonus categories. ($800-$2500 per month in grocery, gas, pharmacy). This did not include any VR or gift card purchasing, just normal spend. I haven't heard a word from Amex about it (nor would I expect to).

Anita
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by frozyn
He means getting $100 of cash back from WM each time you load. So, for example, you load $1000, then ask for $100 cash back.
OK so I load $1001.30 (I have my reasons) in Wally Word via my ST card and then ask for them give me $100 cash back? Not following..wouldnt transaction be for $901.30 and thus 901 ish Skypesos? I guess I need to know the process, the BB website is unclear and what you can do at wally world.

Last edited by kdinino; Nov 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm Reason: math
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:00 pm

The Barracks Road Charlottesville CVS allows unlimited VR purchases FWIW. Lowers the cost when you can buy $3k at once. Just got 1k each on 3 different cards with 3 different banks.
So you're the one that was visiting the C'ville Office Depot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.