Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Not to mention off the average customer they likely make alot in fees. The average consumer of prepaid cards isn't able to get credit via a bank for a reason...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
OD gets you in the door where you're likely to buy other products. Incomm probably gives them a % in return for the kiosk floorspace.
This is exactly the kind of business method that can result in account closures/store bans/etc for FTers who push it too hard. Despite widely held belief, not every single product or service offered by a company is profitable. Many products/services are used to lure consumers in so that they will then become a patron of the company's profitable products and services. In those instances, if the company notices a customer methodically and routinely using that loss leader and nothing else, it's unsurprising if the company puts a stop to it.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by sk8uno
Ah, I see. Well, as far as I can tell, for Vanilla, OD, and Amex SPG the effect of a Vanilla purchase at OD does not change if the purchaser is an FTer vs a normal human. From their points of view, all transactions should yield the same result, right? And that result should presumably be profitable, otherwise they wouldn't offer them (unless as a calculated loss leader for OD), right?

So then the question, as you posed, is how does BB make money. I haven't spent enough time looking at the details, but I would assume BB makes at least some money. As pointed out, these are all advertised features of the product.

Of course, the value prospect for Amex might just lie in the big picture (e.g. some high value users, some low value users, on balance a decent return). If that is the case, though, then Amex may root out habitually low value users and shut them down. But, as with this entire thread so far, it's all speculation at this point.

OD will pay Chase 2% on $503.95, pocketing $493.87. Unless they're able to buy cards from VN for less than that (this might actually be the case), they're running a loss.

I dont know that Chase would even be able to tell what you bought at OD unless they're somehow integrated with OD's POS system (not out of the realm of possibility). They'll make as much as they typically make on OD purchases, though pocketing $10 and shelling out 2.5k UR points means they have an internal valuation of UR points at around 0.4c/pt. Why they disapprove of this is cycle though is because it changes their risk profile for their customer and exposes them to higher default risk - same reason why cash advances are at a higher interest rate.

How much VN and BB makes will depend on their agreements, which also affects whether or not OD makes money. BB makes some marginal income from the interest from the deposited funds but makes the most from selling your shopping/spending habits. In either case, they wont make very much from deposits and immediate withdrawals.

VN makes the difference between what they charge OD and BB. I have to imagine they are making some amount or their business wouldn't be sustainable, and out of everybody they probably have the most vested interest in seeing this cycle continue.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
You think Amex pays Vanilla for the reload? Maybe, but I was actually wondering if Vanilla might even rebate Amex some of the $3.95 fee, since the incentive to purchase them is provided by Amex.
Think about it. No way AMEX is paid more than $500 when someone loads 500 in beans. If AMEX is paid more than $500 you and I might as well start FTSpend.com, get paid $501 for beans, let everyone at FT cash out for $500 and make a profit to boot.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jdl
My first 2 beans loaded fine onto the just arrived BB. The third one failed, I forgot BB has a daily limit as well as a monthly limit.
+1 ^
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:10 pm

What are the odds that the Bluebird card will be eligible for Amex's Small Business Saturday promotion next month?

I'm guessing pretty low since it's not a credit card.

On the other hand, the promotion has offered a "statement credit" and the Bluebird card does provide us with an online statement, so maybe it will qualify.

Any other guesses?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HikerT
Think about it. No way AMEX is paid more than $500 when someone loads 500 in beans. If AMEX is paid more than $500 you and I might as well start FTSpend.com, get paid $501 for beans, let everyone at FT cash out for $500 and make a profit to boot.
In the abstract, I see the point, but dealing with the actual numbers, since they're in the correct realm, it wouldn't be worth the $1. The bookkeeping alone, plus the postage, checks, fraud . . . we couldn't do it.

So, sure, if you could scale it to $500,000 units, fine, it might be worth the $1,000 per transaction. But you can't. $500 is the max. So this isn't an issue.

I don't think it's crazy for Vanilla to have a business model where Amex gets some payment for driving demand through their network.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:17 pm

I tried adding Sallie Mae to my Bill Pay, but it keeps saying the account number is wrong. I know it is correct, and I tried multiple times. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, after I just read through the FAQ, this can be like AP with the send money feature, just with vanilla

Last edited by BQatWSU; Oct 22, 2012 at 5:45 pm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:12 pm
wcj

Maybe I don't understand who gets paid what in transactions, but isn't the loser Chase? Not only are they paying 5x, but isnt the fees associated with combination of individual transactions totaling $500 more than the one fee associated with $500? I remember an equation on this forum that basically said 30+ transactions made for happy providers. Most of the PP say load $x or 30 transactions minimum.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:17 pm

Anyone successful in loading a permanent BB card with a credit card at WM? Seems like the Vanilla Reload works fine from what I've read here...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
Anyone successful in loading a permanent BB card with a credit card at WM? Seems like the Vanilla Reload works fine from what I've read here...
Nope. I tried two area stores. No luck with credit or gift card. Debit works fine, as expected. No fee (in store)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:46 pm

The birdie took the ice cream fine for me.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by jdl
My first 2 beans loaded fine onto the just arrived BB. The third one failed, I forgot BB has a daily limit as well as a monthly limit.
I didn't know that there's a loading limit, just a spending limit. So max daily load is $1k/day? How about monthly?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
The birdie took the ice cream fine for me.
For me as well

Has anyone had luck finding beans at any of the other locations listed on their FAQ? I tried six 7-11's today with no luck. To hit spend requirements and generate points on cards other than IB, I wouldn't mind picking up cards at places other than OD as their stores are not that close to me. Plus, on my last trip to OD the manager called my credit card holder prior to my purchase to confirm (??) that I could. He was aware of the IB promotion and said the store had gone through several thousand worth of bean purchases in the prior two days. I picked up the scraps, but I'd like to have other options besides OD as I need to fatten my bird - fois gras style
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by need2ski
For me as well

Has anyone had luck finding beans at any of the other locations listed on their FAQ? I tried six 7-11's today with no luck. To hit spend requirements and generate points on cards other than IB, I wouldn't mind picking up cards at places other than OD as their stores are not that close to me. Plus, on my last trip to OD the manager called my credit card holder prior to my purchase to confirm (??) that I could. He was aware of the IB promotion and said the store had gone through several thousand worth of bean purchases in the prior two days. I picked up the scraps, but I'd like to have other options besides OD as I need to fatten my bird - fois gras style
If you are looking to meet minimum spend or earn points on non-IB/+ cards, there are non-Vanilla ways go. Look at other prominent threads in the MilesBuzz section and you'll get plenty of ideas.

Edit: these other ways are not related to BB, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.