Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 14, 12, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO View Post
Nope
Hmm. It magically shrunk
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Can I walk into Walmart and load funds using the American Express Target prepaid card?
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:18 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by livestrongforever View Post
Can I walk into Walmart and load funds using the American Express Target prepaid card?
If you have loaded with another CC at that location before, then no reason why not. Some reports (fake i think) say wallyworld take CC for reloads, most not.
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by caGALINDO View Post
If you have loaded with another CC at that location before, then no reason why not. Some reports (fake i think) say wallyworld take CC for reloads, most not.
Although not explicitly stated, I believe livestrongforever is more interested about using it as a debit card, which is accepted at most every WM. The Amex Target Prepaid comes with a PIN.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. Would be interesting to know, though.
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:50 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by frozyn View Post
Although not explicitly stated, I believe livestrongforever is more interested about using it as a debit card, which is accepted at most every WM. The Amex Target Prepaid comes with a PIN.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. Would be interesting to know, though.
I'm pretty sure the PIN is for ATM transactions only. I know the regular PP will not run as debit even if you request it.
Old Nov 14, 12, 2:35 pm

I found this and thought it was an interesting read. It explains about cyber theft using prepaids...

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/04/t...prepaid-cards/
Old Nov 14, 12, 2:47 pm

Go to the moneypass website.

There is no less than 50+ of them in my small city.

Originally Posted by tkarrade View Post
Ok, so after a few weeks of using BB I felt obliged to share some thoughts with the community.

First, the billpay is dodgy as others have mentioned, but everything I have attempted has completed successfully. It may take anywhere from 3-6 days for certain things to post, but if you're methodical about setting up the payee you can be fairly confident it will go through. I've paid my electric bill, gas bill, three student loan servicers, a car payment, home equity, mortgage*, and auto insurance. I tried $50 to start but everything posted fine so I'm using full amounts from here on. I use my account # in the payee description if available as well as adding it as a 'memo' to the actual payment. (if they are not in the list.)

* There was a bug with my mortgage lender which prevented it from being used even though it was on the list. Amex fixed that already it seems. Payments worked through their 'list' as well as the manual payee I added myself.

My biggest complaint is that the phone service has gone waaay downhill in the last few weeks. When I first got my card and reported problems, I was on hold for maybe 5 minutes. Today it was almost an hour, and when I did get through to someone, their computers were down.

The reason I called today was because there did not seem to be any Moneypass ATM's nearby which were actually working! Wal-mart is 0-3 for functioning ATM's in my area, and when I tried to get cash from a teller they told me that it was coming back as 'cash back not allowed'. I'm not surprised, but you're going to get some consumer push back if they're going to advertise this as a debit card/checking account alternative and you can't actually get cash anywhere within 20 miles of your home. (without paying atm fees that is.)

Anyway, this is sure to get buried quickly in this fast moving thread, but I thought someone might find the review helpful if they were considering this card.
-TK

Edit: I can also confirm that CVS is now selling these and you can pay for credit card, although the cashier may not know that. They thought it was a gift card and didn't think it would work, but it rang up fine on CC.
Old Nov 14, 12, 3:04 pm
Suspended

can bluebird be added to paypal as a checking acct option? If so where does one get their routing/acct number?

Last edited by EL3V3N; Nov 14, 12 at 3:12 pm
Old Nov 14, 12, 3:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by EL3V3N View Post
can bluebird be added to paypal as a checking acct option? If so where does one get their routing/acct number?
Click on Deposit Money, then "Set up Direct Deposit", then "Open Direct Deposit Form".

If you're looking to Pull funds from BB to Paypal, this has been reported to not work. BB does not like outside entities pulling funds. However, if you want to deposit funds from Paypal to BB, this probably will work. I've deposited funds from AP to BB without problems.
Old Nov 14, 12, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by farbster View Post
I found this and thought it was an interesting read. It explains about cyber theft using prepaids...

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/04/t...prepaid-cards/
thanks for this. very interesting reading
Old Nov 14, 12, 3:59 pm

Chase Freedom, Kohls, Bluebird

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if this words.

Chase Freedom goes through different categories and gives 5% cashback. But through their online program, it's sometimes 10%. For this month, it's Kohl's for 10%.

Is this possible?

Buy a gift card online.
Buy a vanilla card at Kohl's.
Load it up onto Bluebird.

That will affectively give me 10% CB minus fees.

Does Kohl's even sell Vanilla cards?

Anyways, was wondering if anyone has done this.
Old Nov 14, 12, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by tkarrade View Post
Ok, so after a few weeks of using BB I felt obliged to share some thoughts with the community.

First, the billpay is dodgy as others have mentioned, but everything I have attempted has completed successfully. It may take anywhere from 3-6 days for certain things to post, but if you're methodical about setting up the payee you can be fairly confident it will go through. I've paid my electric bill, gas bill, three student loan servicers, a car payment, home equity, mortgage*, and auto insurance. I tried $50 to start but everything posted fine so I'm using full amounts from here on. I use my account # in the payee description if available as well as adding it as a 'memo' to the actual payment. (if they are not in the list.)

* There was a bug with my mortgage lender which prevented it from being used even though it was on the list. Amex fixed that already it seems. Payments worked through their 'list' as well as the manual payee I added myself.

My biggest complaint is that the phone service has gone waaay downhill in the last few weeks. When I first got my card and reported problems, I was on hold for maybe 5 minutes. Today it was almost an hour, and when I did get through to someone, their computers were down.

The reason I called today was because there did not seem to be any Moneypass ATM's nearby which were actually working! Wal-mart is 0-3 for functioning ATM's in my area, and when I tried to get cash from a teller they told me that it was coming back as 'cash back not allowed'. I'm not surprised, but you're going to get some consumer push back if they're going to advertise this as a debit card/checking account alternative and you can't actually get cash anywhere within 20 miles of your home. (without paying atm fees that is.)

Anyway, this is sure to get buried quickly in this fast moving thread, but I thought someone might find the review helpful if they were considering this card.
-TK

Edit: I can also confirm that CVS is now selling these and you can pay for credit card, although the cashier may not know that. They thought it was a gift card and didn't think it would work, but it rang up fine on CC.
Was one of your student loan servicers Great Lakes, by any chance?
Old Nov 14, 12, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by sk8uno View Post
Was one of your student loan servicers Great Lakes, by any chance?
In for answer. Would love to know if Great Lakes can be paid as well!
Old Nov 14, 12, 5:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I logged into my account and searched great lakes, and a list included "great lakes higher eduication" So i woiuld guess the answer is yes
Old Nov 14, 12, 5:31 pm

Has anyone been successful in using CC for Green Dot at CVS? The cashier showed me his screen of invalid tender, etc... How do you guys get it to work?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: