Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 14, 12, 7:18 am

Looks like another blogger is posting pictures of VRs at CVS with step-by-step instructions on how to leverage 5x at OD for this. I note that his post is actually closed to comments.

*sigh*
Old Nov 14, 12, 7:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by crimsonAA View Post
Any actual swipes for purchases?
Yes, at Walmart too!

Very weird though, a few minutes later now I just got an email saying the investigation is complete and my account is now active again immediately.

So.... Looks like my activity was pushing it. Will post more details as soon as I am out of a meeting at work.
Old Nov 14, 12, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
Yes, at Walmart too!

Very weird though, a few minutes later now I just got an email saying the investigation is complete and my account is now active again immediately.

So.... Looks like my activity was pushing it. Will post more details as soon as I am out of a meeting at work.
I've taken a rather conservative approach with this to avoid any trouble. I deposit checks, use it for everyday purchase swipes, and I've even loaded some cash on the card at a Wal-Mart register a few times. I'm basically getting zero interest on my checking account, so why not leave my petty cash with BB to keep everyone nice and happy?
Old Nov 14, 12, 7:24 am

I've taken a rather conservative approach with this to avoid any trouble. I deposit checks, use it for everyday purchase swipes, and I've even loaded some cash on the card at a Wal-Mart register a few times. I'm basically getting zero interest on my checking account, so why not leave my petty cash with BB to keep everyone nice and happy?
Well as I just found out they will freeze your account and your $ is locked up. I do have about $3700 in there right now and about to head to France for 2 weeks.
Old Nov 14, 12, 7:45 am

Ok, details.

Here is the suspend email:

During a recent review, we noticed unusual/irregular activity on your Bluebird Account.

For your security and protection, your Bluebird Account has been suspended while we conduct further investigation.

Please contact us immediately at 1-877-486-5962.

Thanks,
Bluebird

And the suspend lifted email 8 minutes later:

Your Bluebird Account was recently suspended due to unusual/irregular activity.

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this matter. We are happy to inform you that we have finished our investigation and the suspension on your Account has been lifted effective immediately. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please call us at 1-877-486-5962 if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Bluebird

I think what caused this was that I returned something to a store and I believe I swiped my bluebird for the return on accident (too many cards... ugh) instead of my amex prepaid (which I originally used for the transaction) because i see this line in my account this morning:

"$290.72 disputed sale chargeback reversal"

The icon for this transaction in bluebird.com is the same as an ATM withdrawal or bill pay, so it's an outgoing transaction, meaning that the place I made a return to was sent the $ back. Looks like I will have to go back in and get them to return to the correct card because bluebird did not accept this.

So, beware whether done on accident or purpose.
Old Nov 14, 12, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post
chase has no way of knowing how your BB was funded. All they see is where the incoming payment comes from, and what you purchased on your chase CC
Yeah, but let's face it: if Chase "cares," it's pretty obvious that EVERYONE paying an Ink card with BB is involved in "the game." Especially if they seem to mostly buy office supplies with their card.

That's why it seems to make more sense to me to pay your Ink bill through your regular checking account. But that becomes problematic if BB doesn't want you to send money to your bank account.

Is there any reason to think BB has "a problem" with folks depositing money to their own regular bank accounts?
Old Nov 14, 12, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
Ok, details.

Here is the suspend email:

During a recent review, we noticed unusual/irregular activity on your Bluebird Account.

For your security and protection, your Bluebird Account has been suspended while we conduct further investigation.

Please contact us immediately at 1-877-486-5962.

Thanks,
Bluebird

And the suspend lifted email 8 minutes later:

Your Bluebird Account was recently suspended due to unusual/irregular activity.

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this matter. We are happy to inform you that we have finished our investigation and the suspension on your Account has been lifted effective immediately. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please call us at 1-877-486-5962 if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Bluebird

I think what caused this was that I returned something to a store and I believe I swiped my bluebird for the return on accident (too many cards... ugh) instead of my amex prepaid (which I originally used for the transaction) because i see this line in my account this morning:

"$290.72 disputed sale chargeback reversal"

The icon for this transaction in bluebird.com is the same as an ATM withdrawal or bill pay, so it's an outgoing transaction, meaning that the place I made a return to was sent the $ back. Looks like I will have to go back in and get them to return to the correct card because bluebird did not accept this.

So, beware whether done on accident or purpose.
Thanks for reporting back - good to know it looks like there was a relatively plausible explanation for the review. I've tried to blend in as many activities onto my BB account as I can (everyday purchases, funding from bank account, Vanilla reloads, and billpays), which hopefully shouldn't raise any eyebrows.
Old Nov 14, 12, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Yeah, but let's face it: if Chase "cares," it's pretty obvious that EVERYONE paying an Ink card with BB is involved in "the game." Especially if they seem to mostly buy office supplies with their card.

That's why it seems to make more sense to me to pay your Ink bill through your regular checking account. But that becomes problematic if BB doesn't want you to send money to your bank account.

Is there any reason to think BB has "a problem" with folks depositing money to their own regular bank accounts?
I mean if any of the involved companies care, it's easy to figure out whether you actually need BB or are just involved with "the game."

How many people with a bank account and substantial income and available credit are actually using BB by paying to reload with cash?
Old Nov 14, 12, 8:49 am

I mean if any of the involved companies care, it's easy to figure out whether you actually need BB or are just involved with "the game."

How many people with a bank account and substantial income and available credit are actually using BB by paying to reload with cash?
The idea that we are somehow "pulling one over" on the banks is laughable.

They know exactly what we are doing. They know all about the churning. The airlines know about the tricks. The mint knew about the mint, etc. We are a relatively small and fairly crazy bunch. The costs we "impose" on them are small compared to the overall size and magnitude of their businesses. I know it is heresy to say so, but FT is not that important in the scheme of things! Most people have never heard of it.

Banks (and all companies) don't give one whit about "the game". They care only about making a profit. When their bottom line suffers, they will take note, game or no game, churns or no churns. And conversely, if they are making a lot of money, they're happy to let a small minority of kind of maniacal people use their products to go nuts.
Old Nov 14, 12, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by crimson12 View Post
they're happy to let a small minority of kind of maniacal people use their products to go nuts.
Old Nov 14, 12, 10:00 am

I did some billpays out of BB that I set up this weekend. They were all in the payment system, and said delivery by 11/14 (Today). Since everyone else had said the payments that are in their system process electronically, I assumed it might even go faster. Nothing has posted to my accounts yet, so I'm getting a little bit anxious. No usual confirmation e-mail, either. If I don't get some reassurance I will probably have to fight with them to make sure everything works out without a problem. Now I'm regretting not doing some quick "test" payments, but oh well.
Old Nov 14, 12, 10:10 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
...they're happy to let a small minority of kind of maniacal people use their products to go nuts.
I resemble that remark!
Old Nov 14, 12, 10:11 am

The idea that we are somehow "pulling one over" on the banks is laughable.

They know exactly what we are doing. They know all about the churning. The airlines know about the tricks. The mint knew about the mint, etc. We are a relatively small and fairly crazy bunch. The costs we "impose" on them are small compared to the overall size and magnitude of their businesses. I know it is heresy to say so, but FT is not that important in the scheme of things! Most people have never heard of it.

Banks (and all companies) don't give one whit about "the game". They care only about making a profit. When their bottom line suffers, they will take note, game or no game, churns or no churns. And conversely, if they are making a lot of money, they're happy to let a small minority of kind of maniacal people use their products to go nuts.
I work for a large company and it's funny that pople assume that these large companies know everything that's going on. Often times, they don't. They certainly don't care; they've got far bigger issues. Also, most large companies are very focussed on revenue, not costs. I'm new to the hobby (and the blogs you guys complain about were very helpful in getting started), but I know about finance and Fortune companies.
Old Nov 14, 12, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost View Post
I did some billpays out of BB that I set up this weekend. They were all in the payment system, and said delivery by 11/14 (Today). Since everyone else had said the payments that are in their system process electronically, I assumed it might even go faster. Nothing has posted to my accounts yet, so I'm getting a little bit anxious. No usual confirmation e-mail, either. If I don't get some reassurance I will probably have to fight with them to make sure everything works out without a problem. Now I'm regretting not doing some quick "test" payments, but oh well.
I put some electronic bill pays that the system said would be delivered by 11/13. I checked a number of times yesterday and nothing showed up. When I checked again this morning all the payments had gone through with a date of yesterday. Its nerve-wracking but be patient.
Old Nov 14, 12, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by setho212 View Post
I put some electronic bill pays that the system said would be delivered by 11/13. I checked a number of times yesterday and nothing showed up. When I checked again this morning all the payments had gone through with a date of yesterday. Its nerve-wracking but be patient.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: