Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 13, 12, 8:52 pm
  #2446  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Posts: 294
Calendar month.
StephenW is offline  
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:57 pm
  #2447  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
Calendar month.
Thanks
newlifeca is offline  
Old Nov 13, 12, 9:05 pm
  #2448  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: DL, WoH
Posts: 1,079
Eh....I really don't want to risk anything really. I usually stay on the safe side of these things. They still have a CRAPTON of Amex Temp cards there right above it. If I miss out on them I won't be too upset because there are plenty more ways to skin a cat.

I was leery about AP too, and I try to really stay under the radar with all that stuff. Deals are killed by over publicity and overuse.


PS. Next time I'll take all of them and put them in my mouth and chew on them for a photo finish.
ricohitman is offline  
Old Nov 13, 12, 9:21 pm
  #2449  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 86
I'd be curious if people think there is an increased risk using an Amex, since they run bluebird. Must be extremely easy for them to see the whole trail.

Ultra high risk of FR? Would it more likely be triggered by high spending at a certain card or total current balance on the card?

I guess Im wondering if the risk of FR could be mitigated by paying off a few thousand half way through the billing cycle to keep the total lower.

Edit: I should say I have no intention of paying Amex bill with BB, just regular spending, bill pay, etc.
Aerosfire is offline  
Old Nov 13, 12, 9:39 pm
  #2450  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by Aerosfire View Post
I'd be curious if people think there is an increased risk using an Amex, since they run bluebird. Must be extremely easy for them to see the whole trail.

Ultra high risk of FR? Would it more likely be triggered by high spending at a certain card or total current balance on the card?

I guess Im wondering if the risk of FR could be mitigated by paying off a few thousand half way through the billing cycle to keep the total lower.

Edit: I should say I have no intention of paying Amex bill with BB, just regular spending, bill pay, etc.
I put $2000 worth of VRs on a week-old PRG and my statement cuts this week. I paid off those purchases from my main bank account pre-statement to keep my finances in order. I put other spend on it as well. I'll let you know if I run into any troubles.
frozyn is offline  
Old Nov 13, 12, 9:56 pm
  #2451  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: IAH TX USA
Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH G, MAR back to lowly Silver,
Posts: 473
I spoke to manager at OD yesterday. He did show me the memo from corporate but I did not take a picture of it.

It did not mention fraud. It did mention that a new Amex branded reload was going to be available.

Did not mention had to pay for this via cash or CC so I think that must be a store decision.

Manager did already have them pull, but let me purchase what I wanted. I opted for 6 of them.

I do use them for points, but that is a perk, as I like these reloading cards for giving my nieces and nephews money for birthdays and holiday. I got them all a gift card in their name and I load money on it for them. They thought it was the greatest thing to have a CC looking gift card we their name on it. I hate sending gift cards in the mail especially at the holiday periods. Too many chances of getting them picked off along the way and no way to recover any funds if they are lifted.

Last edited by vandesa; Nov 13, 12 at 10:23 pm
vandesa is offline  
Old Nov 13, 12, 10:05 pm
  #2452  
Formerly known as cagalindo
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MCO TPA
Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by vandesa View Post
It did mention that a new Amex branded reload was going to be available.
The new VR?

*PRAYS UNCONTROLLABLY*
caGALINDO is offline  
Old Nov 14, 12, 12:04 am
  #2453  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,483
Originally Posted by TTnC4me View Post
Understatement of the year.
So eventually everyone has to pay Chase for the VR cards bought with Ink. Is there any reason to believe it's better to bill pay Chase directly from BB, or is it better to transfer the money from BB back to your checking account and then pay?
iahphx is offline  
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:33 am
  #2454  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by newlifeca View Post
Thanks
You might want to check the answer first before you say "thanks".
QL_714 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 12, 3:37 am
  #2455  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
You might want to check the answer first before you say "thanks".
I loaded $5k as of Oct 30th and have already loaded another $5k this month. Based on my experience, it seems to be a calendar cycle.
StephenW is offline  
Old Nov 14, 12, 6:48 am
  #2456  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CHA/TYS
Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Posts: 2,849
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
So eventually everyone has to pay Chase for the VR cards bought with Ink. Is there any reason to believe it's better to bill pay Chase directly from BB, or is it better to transfer the money from BB back to your checking account and then pay?
chase has no way of knowing how your BB was funded. All they see is where the incoming payment comes from, and what you purchased on your chase CC
mrredskin is offline  
Old Nov 14, 12, 8:07 am
  #2457  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 1,485
I just got an email that my bluebird account has been suspended for irregular use. Anyone else seen that today?? I have done bill pays to mortgage, elec, boat storage an one to a family member. Also two ATM withdrawals.
glocklt4 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 12, 8:07 am
  #2458  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,996
Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post
chase has no way of knowing how your BB was funded. All they see is where the incoming payment comes from, and what you purchased on your chase CC
Shhh... I just bought 1,000 shares of a tin foil hat company!
Stoughton is offline  
Old Nov 14, 12, 8:07 am
  #2459  
Formerly known as cagalindo
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MCO TPA
Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
I just got an email that my bluebird account has been suspended for irregular use. Anyone else seen that today?? I have done bill pays to mortgage, elec, boat storage an one to a family member. Also two ATM withdrawals.
Here we go again
caGALINDO is offline  
Old Nov 14, 12, 8:11 am
  #2460  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
I just got an email that my bluebird account has been suspended for irregular use. Anyone else seen that today?? I have done bill pays to mortgage, elec, boat storage an one to a family member. Also two ATM withdrawals.
Any actual swipes for purchases?
crimsonAA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: