Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 13, 12, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Calendar month.
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
Calendar month.
Thanks
Old Nov 13, 12, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Eh....I really don't want to risk anything really. I usually stay on the safe side of these things. They still have a CRAPTON of Amex Temp cards there right above it. If I miss out on them I won't be too upset because there are plenty more ways to skin a cat.

I was leery about AP too, and I try to really stay under the radar with all that stuff. Deals are killed by over publicity and overuse.

PS. Next time I'll take all of them and put them in my mouth and chew on them for a photo finish.
Old Nov 13, 12, 9:21 pm

I'd be curious if people think there is an increased risk using an Amex, since they run bluebird. Must be extremely easy for them to see the whole trail.

Ultra high risk of FR? Would it more likely be triggered by high spending at a certain card or total current balance on the card?

I guess Im wondering if the risk of FR could be mitigated by paying off a few thousand half way through the billing cycle to keep the total lower.

Edit: I should say I have no intention of paying Amex bill with BB, just regular spending, bill pay, etc.
Old Nov 13, 12, 9:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Aerosfire View Post
I'd be curious if people think there is an increased risk using an Amex, since they run bluebird. Must be extremely easy for them to see the whole trail.

Ultra high risk of FR? Would it more likely be triggered by high spending at a certain card or total current balance on the card?

I guess Im wondering if the risk of FR could be mitigated by paying off a few thousand half way through the billing cycle to keep the total lower.

Edit: I should say I have no intention of paying Amex bill with BB, just regular spending, bill pay, etc.
I put $2000 worth of VRs on a week-old PRG and my statement cuts this week. I paid off those purchases from my main bank account pre-statement to keep my finances in order. I put other spend on it as well. I'll let you know if I run into any troubles.
Old Nov 13, 12, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH G, MAR back to lowly Silver,
I spoke to manager at OD yesterday. He did show me the memo from corporate but I did not take a picture of it.

It did not mention fraud. It did mention that a new Amex branded reload was going to be available.

Did not mention had to pay for this via cash or CC so I think that must be a store decision.

Manager did already have them pull, but let me purchase what I wanted. I opted for 6 of them.

I do use them for points, but that is a perk, as I like these reloading cards for giving my nieces and nephews money for birthdays and holiday. I got them all a gift card in their name and I load money on it for them. They thought it was the greatest thing to have a CC looking gift card we their name on it. I hate sending gift cards in the mail especially at the holiday periods. Too many chances of getting them picked off along the way and no way to recover any funds if they are lifted.

Last edited by vandesa; Nov 13, 12 at 10:23 pm
Old Nov 13, 12, 10:05 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by vandesa View Post
It did mention that a new Amex branded reload was going to be available.
The new VR?

*PRAYS UNCONTROLLABLY*
Old Nov 14, 12, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTnC4me View Post
Understatement of the year.
So eventually everyone has to pay Chase for the VR cards bought with Ink. Is there any reason to believe it's better to bill pay Chase directly from BB, or is it better to transfer the money from BB back to your checking account and then pay?
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by newlifeca View Post
Thanks
You might want to check the answer first before you say "thanks".
Old Nov 14, 12, 3:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
You might want to check the answer first before you say "thanks".
I loaded $5k as of Oct 30th and have already loaded another $5k this month. Based on my experience, it seems to be a calendar cycle.
Old Nov 14, 12, 6:48 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
So eventually everyone has to pay Chase for the VR cards bought with Ink. Is there any reason to believe it's better to bill pay Chase directly from BB, or is it better to transfer the money from BB back to your checking account and then pay?
chase has no way of knowing how your BB was funded. All they see is where the incoming payment comes from, and what you purchased on your chase CC
Old Nov 14, 12, 8:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I just got an email that my bluebird account has been suspended for irregular use. Anyone else seen that today?? I have done bill pays to mortgage, elec, boat storage an one to a family member. Also two ATM withdrawals.

Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post
chase has no way of knowing how your BB was funded. All they see is where the incoming payment comes from, and what you purchased on your chase CC
Shhh... I just bought 1,000 shares of a tin foil hat company!
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
I just got an email that my bluebird account has been suspended for irregular use. Anyone else seen that today?? I have done bill pays to mortgage, elec, boat storage an one to a family member. Also two ATM withdrawals.
Here we go again
Old Nov 14, 12, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
Any actual swipes for purchases?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: