Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 12, 12, 4:42 pm

I'm curious as to why the other reloads (Paypal, Greendot, etc...) have not taken off in terms of popularity. Why is it?

Does Paypal shut you down for cashing in and withdrawing?

Is it because the points earning is not as high as 5X on IB?

Or is it difficult to use a CC with these alternative reloads?

Are there any other catches that we should know about?
Old Nov 12, 12, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Has anyone checked to see if OD will still let you purchase other $500 PP cards with a CC? I figure even with $5 for buying the PP card at OD, $4 for a Vanilla at CVS (paid for with the OD PP card), you are still coming out significantly ahead if you use the Ink card ($9 for 2,500 points). Not as good as just purchasing the Vanilla at OD, but much better than not getting any miles.
Old Nov 12, 12, 4:59 pm

does anyone know if best buy in oc or la have visa or amex prepaid gift cards? i'd like to max out my freedom best buy bonus category. pm me if needed. i went to the one in downey and they only had best buy and itunes. thanks.
Old Nov 12, 12, 5:00 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Yes netspend/paypal/etc. are a pain to not get shutdown.
Old Nov 12, 12, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Stopped at local Walgreens today & they just received the VR a couple days ago. Took one to the register & the screen said "...cash only..". I asked the lady to call a manager over & she said "no way around it...have to pay with cash". I'll try another Walgreens in a couple days & see if it's the same. Wish we had CVS in Idaho. I may have to wait til January when I'm in Hawaii.
They have CVS in nearby WA.
I've been able to get around cash/debit only by buying other items with it at other stores in Canada.
(Sobeys comes to mind where I bought thousands of $$$ in itunes cards using GCs that I had got 10% off with a promotion for $25 worth of credit for $20 and turning around and selling at $19.)
Old Nov 12, 12, 5:21 pm

Programs: 24 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
Just went to OD and was told no more icecream. Has something happened?
Funniest thing since the Hitler video...
Old Nov 12, 12, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
I'm curious as to why the other reloads (Paypal, Greendot, etc...) have not taken off in terms of popularity. Why is it?

Yes, easily
Yes
Sometimes depending on store/cashier
Old Nov 12, 12, 8:16 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
They have CVS in nearby WA.
Actually, no they don't. According to their website, no CVS in WA, ID, OR, or WY - closest to someone in Idaho would probably be Montana - could be a long way from the OP's stomping grounds.

All the Walgreens I've been to (tried about a dozen so far) required cash for VRs. I'm not feeling very encouraged on this.
Old Nov 12, 12, 8:24 pm

just an observation on the vanilla cards. the cards from od are slightly different from the ones from cvs (appearance-wise). also, the ones from cvs has the amex logo on it.
Old Nov 12, 12, 9:15 pm

Don't lose hope. In my experience it is just a treasure hunt.

Do a little hunting..and you'll find the gold!

Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Actually, no they don't. According to their website, no CVS in WA, ID, OR, or WY - closest to someone in Idaho would probably be Montana - could be a long way from the OP's stomping grounds.

All the Walgreens I've been to (tried about a dozen so far) required cash for VRs. I'm not feeling very encouraged on this.
Old Nov 12, 12, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post

PayPal's systems are extremely picky. They will shut down accounts quickly for activity like this.
Old Nov 12, 12, 11:36 pm

Question about GreenDot... I bought some MoneyPaks (5x$500) at a Rite-Aid today. When I enter the MoneyPak number online, I get a message saying the balance of the MoneyPak is $0! ...??

I bought the MoneyPaks about 3 hours ago. Do I have to wait some period of time before GreenDot "recognizes" that the card is active and has money on it?

I went back to the store and the manager went over everything with me and it really does look like the purchases processed properly. He even showed me receipts from other purchases where the card wasn't properly activated -- the purchase won't even go through and the receipt prints and error. My receipt, on the other hand, looks all correct.

I've only scratched off one MP number, because I don't want GD to yell at me if there's some error...

Thoughts/advice?
Old Nov 13, 12, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
A comment about Citimortgage:

I have my Citibank mortgage on Autopay. Payments are collected automatically from my checking account on the 9th of each month.

I have not changed my Autopay plan at Citi. But I made a test payment of $10 to Citimortgage to see what would happen. The Citi website shows that the payment was received on Nov 6 and listed as "Additional funds received." However, that $10 was not immediately applied to my mortgage.

Instead, I now see that Citi withdrew the usual monthly payment (in full) from my checking account on Nov 9. Also, on Nov 9, Citi proceeded to credit that $10 from Bluebird as additional principal toward my loan.

So it appears that, perhaps because I have Autopay turned on and set for the 9th, Citi will hold any funds that I send from Bluebird until my normal payment date and then credit the payment from Bluebird on that date.

I'm curious what the experience has been of others, especially anyone who already has automatic mortgage payment in place.
Old Nov 13, 12, 12:54 am

Programs: Yes.
Mortgage worked fine for me. I have BoA.
Old Nov 13, 12, 1:06 am

Wait 24 hours try again

Last edited by johndoe123; Nov 13, 12 at 10:33 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: