Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 11, 12, 4:29 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Went to my local OfficeDepot today in Maryland. No VR cards out. I asked an employee about them and she said they stopped selling them. It was clear she didn't really know why. I prodded a bit and eventually she started throwing around the word "illegal" and said that in the near future no one would be selling them. I couldn't help smiling at that point. She clearly didn't understand the Chase 5X feature that made office stores special.

Went to a nearby CVS and bought two using my SPG AMEX. In the long run don't really know that it's worth the hassle though to do it continuously.
Old Nov 11, 12, 4:38 pm

Programs: 24 million points to burn!
You can only have 3 Prepaids max per person.
Old Nov 11, 12, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
From a Debit Card $2 per load ($100 daily debit fund limit)
Cash through Walmart $1 (fee no longer applies)

Debit has been included under cash through Walmart.
Correct. Did this 3 hours ago, $500 off NW, which worked as debit with PIN, no fee (MMS reported that his USB did not work in one of his circle-and-arrows posts). .4 CPM, but not scalable past $<strike>2500</strike>1000/month unless you're willing to dabble in the dark arts.

Last edited by sgideons; Nov 11, 12 at 5:07 pm Reason: Just checked this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/267256-visabuxx-replacement-citicash-52.html people are reporting $1000 30 day rolling limit, not $2500 (5 x $500 max load)
Old Nov 11, 12, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I don't believe you need to register the Amex prepaid - so in theory, you can have as many as you would like. Of course, without getting the permanent card (registration required) - you can not get cash from an ATM. If the goal is to get 5X on normal spend, this should still work.
Old Nov 11, 12, 5:01 pm

Was so happy to see vr at cvs today, but quickly saddened when manager says company policy is cash or debit only! Oh well, have to drive around to see find a less competent cvs manager
Old Nov 11, 12, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by sgideons View Post
Correct. Did this 3 hours ago, $500 off NW, which worked as debit with PIN, no fee (MMS reported that his USB did not work in one of his circle-and-arrows posts). .4 CPM, but not scalable past $2500/month unless you're willing to dabble in the dark arts.
I thought the limit was 5,000 per month like with the VC cards? 5,000 per month is just enough to cover my mortgage and student loans so I am happy with that amount. All in all I am still ecstatic about the Bluebird. Now I can earn points on two of my biggest monthly expenses!
Old Nov 11, 12, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by setho212 View Post
I thought the limit was 5,000 per month like with the VC cards? 5,000 per month is just enough to cover my mortgage and student loans so I am happy with that amount. All in all I am still ecstatic about the Bluebird. Now I can earn points on two of my biggest monthly expenses!
See my edit.
Old Nov 11, 12, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by st.exupery View Post
Not so fast . . . I just visited an Office Depot in Fargo, ND with an entire display dedicated to new Vanilla Reloads, maybe 500 cards. According to the manager this will be rolled out nationally, as soon as all existing Vanilla Reloads go in the wood chipper.
If it's *that* chipper from Fargo, I hope it's been wiped clean...
Old Nov 11, 12, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bertrob View Post
Yes - Amex prepaid. Any reason you NEED to re-load it? Can't you just buy several and use them individually? Once depleted, trash it and buy another...
Sure. Just more expensive and a pain. I have some folks I buy merchandise from who don't want to swipe multiple Amex cards at $500 a pop.
Old Nov 11, 12, 5:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by msp2anywhere View Post
If it's *that* chipper from Fargo, I hope it's been wiped clean...
If so, he's probably making more profit on GMAC financing of his Oldsmobile...
Old Nov 11, 12, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
I thought I'd inject some humor into this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk
Amazing! Right on target!
Old Nov 11, 12, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by scoobaboy View Post
At least now I can stop trying to explain to my wife why we had to take out this card in order to purchase this other card, that was used to load this other card, which was used to pay off the first card, in order to earn points with this program, which were used to transfer to this other program. I don't know why she never understood.

LOL, my husband doesnt seem to understand either!!!

This Friday evening we went to 3 Walgreens...they had the VR's, but cash only. Went to 2 CVS...no cards. And 1 OD...they had 3, bought 2....come Sat morning...heard the bad news....just wished we bought the 3rd one too!
Anyways, the whole ride to these stops (all within 10 miles) he's complaining and saying I dont understand what your doing...you're losing $3.95 per load....dont you see that.....I gave up in explaining!

On another note, the video is hilarious!!! Watched it twice
Old Nov 11, 12, 7:50 pm

Programs: Several dozen
But is there a limit on the number of persons each person can have? This question comes up repeatedly.

Originally Posted by Preacher7 View Post
You can only have 3 Prepaids max per person.
Old Nov 11, 12, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Didn't get a chance to hit up the local OD today, but I made quite a few surrounding area FTer's happy with a few posts. Always want to help everyone out. I'm going to check tomorrow to see if they are still stocking them. The game really isn't that intense in GSO as I understand because I've never once since an OD in GSO cleared out of VR's. We'll see if the Nov. 11 doomsday was really true tomorrow when I go check it out.

On another note...I don't want to buy costco cash online because then I have to wait a full 7 business days to buy my groceries. When I used to buy just the temp cards it took 70 minutes, then I was on my way to spend spend spend. Again, I was one that didn't cash out at all at am ATM. I actually used the card to purchase things. I also don't have a good AMEX credit card to buy costco cash with because I'm more focused on building UR points, which I value quite highly.

Definitely got in on the facebook sync deal though with costco cash.
Old Nov 11, 12, 8:05 pm

I've tried searching this thread for "future" and "scheduled". I tried googling. I read the official Bluebird FAQ. I can't figure out how to schedule a bill payment in the future. Is it really not possible? I know you can't setup a recurring bill payment, but whenever I select one of my saved payees, it seems to initiate the payment cycle immediately. Did I miss something?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: