Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 11, 12, 8:20 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by IkeEsq View Post
Always the finger-pointing over who killed the deal. Was it the bloggers with their Thirst for Credit Card Referrals® or FlyerTalk with their X thousand post threads with X hundreds of thousands of views? Was it the greedy Old Time Mileage hackers who pushed too far or the ocean of newbies who got in on it without any idea how the game is played?

Guess what? It doesn't matter. There are not a lot of zombies in this game so once dead most things stay that way. The problem here is an economic one. Any deal that shifts the costs from one entity to another is going to die.

Example: The Mint.

The Mint produces $1 coins for less than $1 and can easily sell, package, and ship them for $500 for a case of 500 and still make a profit, even if you pay by credit card. Congress has ordered the Mint to get the coins into circulation.

Meanwhile, nobody wants the coins in commerce (except perhaps automated machines). It costs the banks money to accept them because they can't recirculate them and they need to store them, handle them, and ship them to the Federal Reserve, all of which costs money for no gain. The Fed also needs to pay to store millions and tens of millions of these coins that nobody wants.

Example: Bluebird.

American Express and WalMart make money off the transaction fees and use at WalMart stores and increase their membership base. To the extent that people reload and cash out, they can cancel accounts.

OD sells $500 card for $503.95, and lose perhaps $5-12.50 on credit card charges and payments to Chase to cover issuing 2500 UR points. OD sees an uptick in purchases of reload cards almost all of which costs them money. So they cancel it. They do not need to read blogs and FlyerTalk threads to figure out why people are doing this, they simply look at the bottom line and decide they are not making any money on the product.

Chase sees a large percentage of purchases getting 5X UR points at Office Supply stores and very little return and they cancel accounts.
And if there aren't 5 bazillion people turned onto the idea doing it due to bloggers/FT etc. then it never makes the financial report radars.

So your post doesn't shift the blame from the root cause it only explains that the beancounters find it through the net result not by reading FT or a hundred bloggers pushing for referral monies.
Old Nov 11, 12, 8:31 am

Quick question re ATM use-- I don't remember getting a PIN number in the mail. Did we have to enter our own PIN when registering the card?
Old Nov 11, 12, 8:34 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
You entered it

During the registration process for Bluebird, it asks you to enter your own pin.
Old Nov 11, 12, 8:39 am

Programs: US Air Silver, UA, WN CP, PC Plat, Hilton Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by scoobaboy View Post
At least now I can stop trying to explain to my wife why we had to take out this card in order to purchase this other card, that was used to load this other card, which was used to pay off the first card, in order to earn points with this program, which were used to transfer to this other program. I don't know why she never understood.
I'm still waiting to get my INK, so sorry for your loss.

I thought this was hilarious, but my wife was not amused!
Old Nov 11, 12, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG, Chase Sapphire, AA, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, US Bank Flexperks, UA Mileage Plus
At least now I can stop trying to explain to my wife why we had to take out this card in order to purchase this other card, that was used to load this other card, which was used to pay off the first card, in order to earn points with this program, which were used to transfer to this other program. I don't know why she never understood.
too funny...but I'm the retired one with the "strange hobby", so I have to explain it to my hubby...he thinks I'm nutz, an has started saying "lucy, you got some splainin' to do !"
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:01 am

lol

Old Nov 11, 12, 9:12 am

Gee, I wonder why?

Maybe, Chase didn't like getting kicked in the pants to help Amex. and,
feed the point/miles mongers.

But, maybe Chase will come out with a product similar to BB to help themselves. No doubt it won't be like this one, and no doubt it will be highly monitored if this were to [email protected]:-)
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:14 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Went to OD 5 min after they open this morning.

Manager said: "We aren't allowed to sell em' anymore" talking to his co-worker
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:31 am

Did anyone receive miles for using the Bank Of America Alaska Airlines debit card to load at Walmart?
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq View Post
OD sells $500 card for $503.95, and lose perhaps $5-12.50 on credit card charges and payments to Chase to cover issuing 2500 UR points. OD sees an uptick in purchases of reload cards almost all of which costs them money. So they cancel it. They do not need to read blogs and FlyerTalk threads to figure out why people are doing this, they simply look at the bottom line and decide they are not making any money on the product.
Really sounds good if it was correct but you are entitled to you wrong opinion just like the rest of us.
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
Did anyone receive miles for using the Bank Of America Alaska Airlines debit card to load at Walmart?
You in the right thread.
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
You in the right thread.
I think so because you can use B of A Alaska Airlines debit card to load up at a Walmart using your Bluebird debit card unless things have changed.
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:41 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
Only one OD in the area still had any, and I only found 2 (which were behind a PrePaid AMEX, not in the normal Vanilla Reload stock). The manager came out and said that these were no longer being sold because Chase knew what everyone was up to and got OD to stop selling these. There were 2 left and he let me buy them at $200 each, but that was it.

I thought I'd inject some humor into this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk
Oh man....I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time. I cried. I literally cried.

People, if you have 3 minutes to spare watch this. If you don't have 3 minutes to spare reevaluate your life and then watch this.
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
I think so because you can use B of A Alaska Airlines debit card to load up at a Walmart using your Bluebird debit card unless things have changed.
Was just messing around. It will load but I think what you want to know is will the miles post?
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by caGALINDO View Post
Went to OD 5 min after they open this morning.

Manager said: "We aren't allowed to sell em' anymore" talking to his co-worker
Sunday, 10:30 a.m. EST: The manager at my local reliable OD broke the bad news to me. He said, "We got the word yesterday."

Sad weekend. Oh well, on to the next thing.......

Search this Thread
Search Engine: