Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
I hope we can enjoy this deal one more year. That is 50k*5=250k united miles.
That is almost two round trip business tickets to anywhere.
No, my wife and I both have ink bold and ink plus. That is a million miles. What a good deal!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Only one OD in the area still had any, and I only found 2 (which were behind a PrePaid AMEX, not in the normal Vanilla Reload stock). The manager came out and said that these were no longer being sold because Chase knew what everyone was up to and got OD to stop selling these. There were 2 left and he let me buy them at $200 each, but that was it.

I thought I'd inject some humor into this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk
Love this video! The first and only time I can relate to Hitler. Hope I'm never quoted on that.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
Only one OD in the area still had any, and I only found 2 (which were behind a PrePaid AMEX, not in the normal Vanilla Reload stock). The manager came out and said that these were no longer being sold because Chase knew what everyone was up to and got OD to stop selling these. There were 2 left and he let me buy them at $200 each, but that was it.

I thought I'd inject some humor into this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk
Genial
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by travisair
Love this video! The first and only time I can relate to Hitler. Hope I'm never quoted on that.
I wonder why hitler couldnt have just sent in a division to crush office depot. Or was he too far gone by then?

Also, by that point in the war (when he was losing it, shaking crazy in his bunker) the german airforce was crushed so i suspect first class in LH might not have been very good.

Then again these are just symantics lol
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
I haven't seen the load cap with credit cards, in my office depot. I figure if they pull the reloads, I could just start buying the AMEX Temp again....That's how I did it before, but if they cap the spend at $200 for Prepaids....all prepaid deals at OD are dead. At least I get 5x on cable, internet, phone. I'll just pay my whole families' cell/cable/home phone bills.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:33 pm

Missed the boat on the VR craze, still waiting on the IB to arrive.

However, after reading all these post, I was near an OD tonight and stopped in to check out the situation.

Of course, acting completely stupid to the craze, I spoke with the manager about the empty shelf for VR and the BB.

He said they will no longer be offering the VR. He was not aware of exactly how it worked, but what he mentioned was that too many people had been taking advantage of the 5% back and buying $1000 or even in the thousands of dollars at one time on the card.

Of course, it's not exactly 5% back, but I am certain he was talking about the IB 5x issue.

I guess they thought it would be too complex just to ask OD stores to mandate cash sales on those. That alone would have pulled the plug. But, it
appears that it was definitely Chase who called the shots on this one.

However, for me, I will be happy to be able to earn points on bill pay (and possibly set our college daughter up on the BB for spending). Guess I missed even being able to try some of our bill pay with the OD/IB/VR. (bummer~)

I know CC churning has gone on for quite some time. I have considered it, but never jumped on it (just still debating). However, what I find amazing is that the CC companies allow each person to have so many cards with such high credit lines without making them close some of them out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start raising the spend to meet the bonus offer if it grows out of hand.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline
Of course, it's not exactly 5% back, but I am certain he was talking about the IB 5x issue.
Yes, it was 5% back. You can redeem for 1 cent/1 point check. Or, you can get the ink cash back card, the sister card to the premium travel, that offers the same category bonuses as a straight 5% statement credit.

For each of us milking this for FF miles, there was a SDer or FWer milking it for cash back (churn 10k, get $500 cash).

People here just happen to like miles, not everyone flies though, and many can still recognize a good cash rebate deal.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I haven't seen the load cap with credit cards, in my office depot. I figure if they pull the reloads, I could just start buying the AMEX Temp again....That's how I did it before, but if they cap the spend at $200 for Prepaids....all prepaid deals at OD are dead. At least I get 5x on cable, internet, phone. I'll just pay my whole families' cell/cable/home phone bills.
Why bother with the temp? Just go straight for the vanilla visa. It's cheaper.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: Several dozen
To be fair, Chase cut value out of the AMEX Platinum Card, so AMEX just kinda gave Chase a friendly stab in the back. What's a little knife fight between friends?

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
Vanilla is dead

The whole story behind vanilla is American Express. They always try to take advantage of other bank, especially Chase. American Express prepaid card is unexpected popular because of vanilla, OD and chase. But it is just within points and miles community. Without vanilla, do you still have interest to use american express prepaid card?

American Express is too greedy. Bluebird is disaster for chase. Suddenly everyone knows that trick. It is easy for chase to cut down this deal, just threaten the OD to terminate the relationship if OD continue to sell vanilla.

That is the story.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
Yes, it was 5% back. You can redeem for 1 cent/1 point check. Or, you can get the ink cash back card, the sister card to the premium travel, that offers the same category bonuses as a straight 5% statement credit.

For each of us milking this for FF miles, there was a SDer or FWer milking it for cash back (churn 10k, get $500 cash).

People here just happen to like miles, not everyone flies though, and many can still recognize a good cash rebate deal.
ahh. that makes sense. I did not realize this.

When considering a CC churn, i also thought about looking at the cash back cards, but never got that far. I just jumped on this card (Ink Plus) when the spend was lowered again this time.

I understand a good deal, but I also understand any good deal will only last so long.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Seriously?

Chase seems to be the manipulator in the last 5 years. Any travel company that has fallen on hard times has chase come to the rescue buying boat loads of their points or miles.

Then it appears that those companies stop participating in other programs or devalue the conversion rates.

Look at SPG with a couple of them now.... UA (devalue), WN(lost?),
Look at Amex with a couple... no longer WN and ....
Look at Hyatt - many thing that a part of those decline is the Chase CC.

Chase coming out with Sappire is a direct competition to Amex and now ever better as the premier travel card.....

So it seems to me that Chase has crept into Amex's domain and Amex is fighting to find a way to survive. I wouldn't feel sorry for chase for one second as they have made major stides that look to me like unfair business practices cutting out or devaluing other conversions. I personally think these devaluations are due to Chase Influence.

I don't feel bad for one moment about Chase. And if Amex makes a product that reduces profits and makes it less expensive for consumers then this is what capitalism is all about. Driving for efficiencies that benefit society over the profits of any one company. Companies that come out with a new idea.... Chase did with 5x points for some of these things. This isn't profitable for them... they are doing it to win business away from competitors.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
If there is no credit card load, do you still use AME prepaid or bluebird?

If cash is only one option, do you still want to use bluebird?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
you can load your BB with a miles earning debit card at Walmart
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
aint nobody got time for that
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL, UA, HHonors, SPG
There's still options to use a credit card for the Bean cards, just not at Office Depot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.