Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 10, 12, 5:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
Just went to my local od and there were 60 left. I spoke with manager and he said there was an email from corp. He opened and read it with me looking. They are to pull all cards and ads for vanilla reload pack as of tomorrow. If you can get tonight you are good. It had the correctpic in message. I picked up about 20 to max out for the month if it is to stop. There is to be some type of amex coming but he did not have details on it now.
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post
got 2 more, not from OD but from other unexplored store, strangely they have 2 cards per day limit.
And wouldn't that solve everyone's problems? (For the long play, at least...)
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Ive discovered numerous times in the past 10 years that most things that are started out as "unlimited" often end up with the biggest shut down fail fall apart problems. When something has a cap, it can generally signify that it may--i stress "may" be ok to actually try and reach it and still be ok in the eyes of the beholder
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:37 pm

No go at two stores here in MKE, I was at one earlier this week that had a stack of them.
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post
got 2 more, not from OD but from other unexplored store, strangely they have 2 cards per day limit.
Follow up thought: I hope you keep the name of that store to yourself and enjoy the slow, steady accumulation of free travel for months into the future.
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HHonors
It may be a good thing if OD stops selling. The 5x fury is really what caused all the hullabaloo. Without that, this is just another slow-and-steady arbitrage opportunity. If the 5x deal is dead, vanilla might be easier to find for those of us who are fine paying a little more per point.
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sk8uno View Post
The 5x fury is really what caused all the hullabaloo. Without that, this is just another slow-and-steady arbitrage opportunity. If the 5x deal is dead, vanilla might be easier to find for those of us who are fine paying a little more per point.
I suspect it was also a combo of a high $10k spend requirement for the IB.
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:52 pm

Still available in TX. I live near 2 stores. Went to the closest one and asked for them but manager said some guy bought 10k worth and cleaned them out an hour ago. Went to next store and they had six left so I cleaned them out 5 minutes ago. Spoke with managers at both places and neither mentioned a memo. I asked when they thought they'd get more and they both said midweek. If this is truly a corporate mandate, it's being implemented slowly.

Last edited by redbirdsj; Nov 10, 12 at 6:37 pm
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
Follow up thought: I hope you keep the name of that store to yourself and enjoy the slow, steady accumulation of free travel for months into the future.
^Good advice.

FWIW, my usual OD still had a hook full of them tonight, seemed about the same level from earlier in the week. Rang up and paid without the cashier even blinking an eye. Manager was standing with her during the transaction, as she was talking with him about changing her work schedule before I walked up. Mgr clearly saw what was purchased and didn't appear concerned. Hopefully he's like me, and routinely fails to read memos from higher-ups
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:54 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets View Post
I'm on my way!
So where's your report?
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Just came from an OD. Met a fellow mile hunter and we chatted for a good 20 minutes. The deal is NOT dead. I'd post a pic but I don't want u to know how many are left! :-)
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
Just came from an OD. Met a fellow mile hunter and we chatted for a good 20 minutes. The deal is NOT dead. I'd post a pic but I don't want u to know how many are left! :-)
I don't think it is fully dead, but it has been wheeled off the ambulance and into the hospital and its prognosis doesn't look good. This reminds me of the time during a mistake fare where the airline is no longer offering the fare but it is still working on other travel booking websites. It still works, just not as cleanly or easily as before and the writing is on the wall.
Old Nov 10, 12, 6:03 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
I bought a couple earlier today, which lead me to the same conclusion.

However, according to multiple reports, any remaining ODs that are still selling them are supposed to pull the plug after they close today - so as of tomorrow, no mas. Here's hoping that tomorrow (sunday) we get reports of them still being sold.

Swing by your local OD on your way to church and let us know, OK?
Old Nov 10, 12, 6:11 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
I can confirm the deal is NOT dead by me. Drying up more and more each day, but still alive!
Old Nov 10, 12, 6:21 pm

Only one OD in the area still had any, and I only found 2 (which were behind a PrePaid AMEX, not in the normal Vanilla Reload stock). The manager came out and said that these were no longer being sold because Chase knew what everyone was up to and got OD to stop selling these. There were 2 left and he let me buy them at $200 each, but that was it.

I thought I'd inject some humor into this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk

Search this Thread
Search Engine: