Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 10, 12, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Yes, any reports of "My OD had stock" for any day before today are out of date at this point. The next closest OD is over 2 hours away so I won't be looking myself.
As a fellow BOS resident isn't the only reasonably close OD the one in Framingham? Here's hoping that the points ferengi can all progress to the next logical step of retail bean purchasing.

Originally Posted by julp View Post
I just got back from my friendly local OD where I purchased some beans. As I was checking out I overheard two OD associates talking how they just ordered 200 more VRs since they keep running out. Doesn't look like they got any sort of memo about taking them off the shelves. That's as of 1 hour ago.
Based on my very basic knowledge of lower management pumping stats over actual profit or business acumen, i would think every half decent OD manager would want to pump up their in-store sales by 100k+ (based on 500 reload x 200 cards), regardless of the credit card processing fees. I don't know how much OD sells outside of black friday/back to school, but I doubt people are walking out with multiple laptops or huge printing orders everyday.

But based on theBOSman and others, it's pretty clear that upper management is now involved, probably scratching their heads and trying to figure out the massive increase in revenue but not profit. Regardless, I have a resource in PBI who I've asked to try and buy remaining stock.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:08 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago View Post
Guess we finally know who wasn't making money on the deal...

This really sucks..was bound to happen.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
What is interesting to me is that the Amex prepaids were pulled as well. I wonder how the $200 replacement I heard about will work out?
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by psychoandy View Post
As a fellow BOS resident isn't the only reasonably close OD the one in Framingham? Here's hoping that the points ferengi can all progress to the next logical step of retail bean purchasing
Next closest one is just east of Hartford, CT. About 2 hours for most people north of the Pike or inside of 128.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:13 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ddallas View Post
Sweet, this is in Portland?
Yes.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
What is interesting to me is that the Amex prepaids were pulled as well. I wonder how the $200 replacement I heard about will work out?
Nothing north of the border? I figured Salem or NashVegas NH would have one. Amex prep aids were still there, just not the reloads (just got home from one last run).
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:22 pm

Programs: 24 million points to burn!
Glad I just bought 3 more yesterday. I've already gotten about 70K in reloads since the spring, so it's been a fun ride. 2 virtually free 5 night stays in Paris and Milan later--thx Chase/OD/Vanilla!
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7 View Post
Glad I just bought 3 more yesterday. I've already gotten about 70K in reloads since the spring, so it's been a fun ride. 2 virtually free 5 night stays in Paris and Milan later--thx Chase/OD/Vanilla!
Imagine how much you could have gotten had this deal lasted. Slow and steady always wins.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:29 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Preacher7 View Post
Same here I picked up a few last night on a whim. it put me just over 50K for the year.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:29 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
on my way...

i bought my first batch of vanilla reloads thursday night at Office Depot. They had plenty of stock. Am headed there now. Will post back within the hour.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:30 pm

I went to 3 stores in my area today. All of them were empty. Had two managers confirm that they would no longer be carrying them, that they had gotten an E-mail indicating NO OD would be carrying them.

This was not true at the stores that I went to. They still had the prepaids on the rack - just the VRs were gone. One manager also indicated they would have a replacement coming but that he did not know anything about it.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:31 pm

Fidelity brokerage "direct deposit" was rejected by Amex. Does Bill Pay waive the fee? I've yet to find any Vanilla Reload cards -- always sold out or unavailable.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:34 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Yep, game over. Just talked to friendly manager at OD where I usually buy reloads and was told they had corporate memo this morning and had to pull them off because of new amex rules (hmmm?)...
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:35 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Deal dead

Local OD (MGM) empty. Prepaids, but no vanilla. Sigh. let the recriminations begin!

Andyandy

Last edited by andyandy; Nov 10, 12 at 1:48 pm
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Chase is going to wonder why there are so few takers for their Ink products in spite of the reduced spending requirements!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: